Thread: 2004 Trailblazer bleeding brakes

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

2004 Trailblazer bleeding brakes

Ok, so my wife is like Jill Taylor from Home Improvent. She calls me from the store and says here car is making some noise. I tell her to bring it home and I'll ckeck it out. Nope, no can do, has to go to her mothers to visit. Calls me from her mothers, says there is a clunking noise now and fluid all over the rear tire. Great, I'll come look at it. The brake pad is disintegrated, the caliper piston is actually out of the caliper and jammed into the rotor that is missing chunks......good grief. Ok, so I get the pleasure of changing out the rotor/caliper/pads in the rain at my mother in laws house today. Add that AZ gave me the wrong caliper and pads made for a nice day.
    Got it all together and went to bleed the brakes and couldn't get only a drip out of the line. Is there a check valve or something that I need to deal with?? I googled it and found others with the same issue, but no decent responses. Any ideas?? Master is full and the pedal pressures up so to speak....but no fluid....
    Last edited by rdnoel86; 10-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Garrett booster

Re: 2004 Trailblazer bleeding brakes

Did you check to ensure the brake line is not pinched anywhere? Check to see if you can bleed the opposite rear wheel, if so you know the rubber "splitter" coming off the rear end is not internally collapsed. How low did the fluid in the master get? If it is empty you'll need to rebleed that, and sometimes bleed the abs modulator. You'll need a Tech 2 or other scanner to bleed the abs modulator. The Tech 2 I use tells the computer and it cycles all the solenoids and valves to bleed it forcing the air to the brake line. You never actually open the system when bleeding the abs modulator until you get to a wheel.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Ok, I officially hate new technoligy.... I did remove the line from the caliper to make sure it wasn't pinched. Thanks for the starting points. I will try the other side first. I don't think the master went dry, but it did take a lot to fill.....so it could have.....I couldn't really see in it that well. I don't have a scanner. That sucks.....I may have to take it to a shop anyway. I'll follow your suggestions and see how far I get and hopefully get it done....Thanx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daytona22 View Post
    Did you check to ensure the brake line is not pinched anywhere? Check to see if you can bleed the opposite rear wheel, if so you know the rubber "splitter" coming off the rear end is not internally collapsed. How low did the fluid in the master get? If it is empty you'll need to rebleed that, and sometimes bleed the abs modulator. You'll need a Tech 2 or other scanner to bleed the abs modulator. The Tech 2 I use tells the computer and it cycles all the solenoids and valves to bleed it forcing the air to the brake line. You never actually open the system when bleeding the abs modulator until you get to a wheel.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Here is one thing you can do. Open the bleeder on that side and have someone stomp the pedal nad hold it on the floor until you get the bleeder closed. Do this once or twice, then bleed like normal. You might have to bleed it a few times, but usually works. As for bleeding the ABS....I take the vehicle for a drive and activate the ABS on a loose surface and this bleeds the system in most cases.
    If it doesn't work, your back at square one.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....