Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home made anti-theft setups

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

home made anti-theft setups

Id like to put some kind of a very basic anti-theft setup on my "S" car. Back when i had my GLH-t I remember the stereo shop I took it to wired the cigarette lighter so the car would not start unless the lighter was pushed in.

Id like to do something like put a switch or something somewhere so the fuel pump can be turned on and off so unless you flipped the switch, the car would not start because the fuel pump would not run. Does this sound logical? If so, how would you do it? What other things have you guys done to prevent the car from being hot wired or just plain taken?

thanks,
    Badger.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: home made anti-theft setups

I thought that was one of the nice things about owning our cars, nobody else wants them.

I'd do something simple like pull a fuel pump fuse or something like that. If you have a switch, and a thief see it, then it's as good as not having one.

A friend of mine did the "push in the cigarette lighter" to start his '85 Toyota truck. That makes the most sense because who would think to try that to start a vehicle.

A.J.

turbo addict

+1 for a simple kill switch, just hide everything well , anti theft devices are all only as good as the install.

strategically placed razor blades!

odds are you hurt yourself or get sued.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Use a switch for the ASD relay or starter etc. Just splice into the relay, then hide the switch. 99% of theives will try to steal it but after it won't start, they will not expend energy to figure out why.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Look at the list of cars stolen. You wont even find a turbo dodge on the top 100. But yes a fuel or ignition kill would be best. All you have to do is run a toggle off the power feed to the coil.

turbo addict

#1 most stolen everything here is old dodge minivans, car and trucks
    Seems the teenagers have shown each other how laughable easy it is to start our car/van/trucks with nothing more then a cheep flat head screwdriver.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

We had a problem a few weeks ago where someone was stealing 84 - 95 caravans. A bunch got stolen. They were using them to steal motorcycles. They could stick them in the back and drive away.

1+ for the kill switch on the ASD. Just hide it well and dont make the splice too noticable.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I thought that was one of the nice things about owning our cars, nobody else wants them.

I'd do something simple like pull a fuel pump fuse or something like that. If you have a switch, and a thief see it, then it's as good as not having one.

A friend of mine did the "push in the cigarette lighter" to start his '85 Toyota truck. That makes the most sense because who would think to try that to start a vehicle.

A.J.
    Anyone who reads about it.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Lance, you live in the OC man. Crime is like nil unless you are buying crack in downtown Santa Ana-and I know you don't smoke I don't even lock my house...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

The giant flyswatter that smacks the theif in the face has worked well for me.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I don't even lock my house...
    Can you also tell me where you keep the keys and titles to those fancy L bodies of yours?

Ron

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    Can you also tell me where you keep the keys and titles to those fancy L bodies of yours?

Ron
    Meh, just like always, keys are in the ignitions. Long drive from Chicago though

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I wired in a simple switch to my asd relay circuit. For some reason my car will start without a key so I had to do it. A couple times my friends thought it would be funny to move my car on me, both lock cylinders don't work and they could just hop in and start it.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

The reason turbo dodges arent in any top 100 stolen lists is because there arent that many around anymore. Like stated before Dodges are like the easiest thing in the world to steal with just a flat tip screw driver. I lived in Canada for a couple years and the province I lived in had there top stolen vehicles list. 8 out of the top ten were usually fwd dodges. The insurance company(yes only one thats gov. ran) makes any owner of a car thats rated high risk for theft get an immobilizer installed. I would look into getting a good aftermarket immobilizer.

cheapest ,easyest system .Wire a secret switch in the 14ga yellow wire coming out of the ign. switch.(aka clutch pedal switch). Use a double throw and wire the other side to the horn relay. Whenever its engaged the horn honks.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

my anti-theft setup:

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Put in a 1-year-old Mopar replacement battery. Odds are a theif won't be able to start it without a booster pack.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I was designing a kill switch which cut connection to the ecu and was toggled via a rfid fob which you could just slid past a hidden sensor, but when I sold my Omni I stopped work on it. If you are interested I could work on it again, but it would require more install work than a simple switch and it would take some time.
    No fun cars any more :(

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Meh, just like always, keys are in the ignitions. Long drive from Chicago though
    lol same here, my back door is messed up and dont even shut all the way, all keys are in the ignitions of all 4 of my cars, I figured if they really wanted the car, just take it...lol better to get stolen and get my money back on it then have someone break out windows, cut wires up, steal stereos, break things and a bunch of other stuff and wake up to a totally messed up car thats a huge headache to get fixed even if the insurance pays for all of it.

Plus theres always the chance it was just for a joyride...lol

turbo addict

^^ here in ontario they have laws about leaving keys in cars, so thats where mine are too.

how would I go about making my car electcute people who touch it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast