Thread: L body part interchange ??

Hybrid booster

L body part interchange ??

So, I wrecked the Charger about 2 weeks ago and crushed the K member and passenger control arm. I have an 86 GLH in the backyard that I'm converting to T2 that I hope I can change parts with the Charger. Ok, 2 questions.

1. Will the K member and control arm off the GLH fit onto the Charger?

2. After everything is swapped over(if it can be) will a K member and control arm from a naturally aspirated L-body(NA Omni or Rampage) work or does it have to be off of the high performance models? i.e. another GLH or Shelby Charger?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: L body part interchange ??

the control arms and k frames should swap over between the two bodies you have. it' all the same, turbo or not.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Mike Marra was just helping me with some part#'s on the ball joints

78-80
    81-82 1/2
    82 1/2 and up

they used different spindles with smaller balljoint studs
    didn't get into checking if you can press them out put in the newer ones

stamped control arms are even the same on daytonas and such
    the k-members are wider on the other bodies
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

turbo addict

Using some old info from my Team Omni days, all the l-body k-frames and control arms from 85+ will interchange. You do need to keep in mind that a k-frame from an automatic car will not have the bracket welded to it for the rear engine mount.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Using some old info from my Team Omni days, all the l-body k-frames and control arms from 85+ will interchange. You do need to keep in mind that a k-frame from an automatic car will not have the bracket welded to it for the rear engine mount.
    So I need to get a K member from a standard then?

Thanks alot for all the help guys, we really appreciate it

turbo addict

it would be the easiest to bolt in. Polybushings may offer a bracket to weld in for k-frames without the bracket; I know they used to stock one.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

i might have bad news for you buddy, not on the interchange part, but if you biffed your front end hard enough to bend arm and k frame then you better check your chassis to kframe mounting points (fronts and rears). from my expierence this is a known weak spot in the l bodys, all three of my recent purchases had bent front mounts on the chassis, one was actually cracked and i didnt know, i took a turn fast and had complete suspension failure, it was scarry, pretty much thought i was going to die

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i might have bad news for you buddy, not on the interchange part, but if you biffed your front end hard enough to bend arm and k frame then you better check your chassis to kframe mounting points (fronts and rears). from my expierence this is a known weak spot in the l bodys, all three of my recent purchases had bent front mounts on the chassis, one was actually cracked and i didnt know, i took a turn fast and had complete suspension failure, it was scarry, pretty much thought i was going to die
    Thats what im NOT hoping for lol. So far from looking at it though, the mounting points seem to bee in good shape. It wasn't a hard hit, maybe about a 15mph was all i was doing. I hit the rear drivers side tire of an explorer and bounced off. No damage to the explorer save for some scratched paint but the Charger...ugh

turbo addict

well my control arm didnt look bent, and the k frame broke at the rear mount AFTER the hit, it was enough to taco my acr bbs wheel with the kframe off, check to see that the mounts are parallel with the frame, my other omni had just a small chunk out of the wheel, but when i couldnt figure out why i couldnt set the camber right, it was all to clear when i checked the mounts on the chassis. hopefully your k frame was the weak point and it broke at the a arm mount? let me know, maybe some picks, il show you mine if you show me yours?

Hybrid booster

well my control arm didnt look bent, and the k frame broke at the rear mount AFTER the hit, it was enough to taco my acr bbs wheel with the kframe off, check to see that the mounts are parallel with the frame, my other omni had just a small chunk out of the wheel, but when i couldnt figure out why i couldnt set the camber right, it was all to clear when i checked the mounts on the chassis. hopefully your k frame was the weak point and it broke at the a arm mount? let me know, maybe some picks, il show you mine if you show me yours?
    Ouch. I could try to get some pics of it later, Im pretty sure it was just the k memb. and a arm that took the damage seeing as how it bent backward and ripped the cv joint apart lol

turbo addict

any luck? any pics?

Hybrid booster

any luck? any pics?
    Yeah, its all swapped over ready to go. The alignmant is off by a hair and the pass. side wheel is a quarter inch closer to the back tire than the drivers side is so Im hoping I can straighten that out somehow. I still havent dropped it onto the ground to drive it so Im hoping that everything just needs to settle once its down...damn theres not a crossed fingers smilie...

Ill see if I can get some pics of the old K member real fast.