Thread: 88 lebaron vs 425whp 79 firebird *long*

TurboII

88 lebaron vs 425whp 79 firebird *long*

to start off these are both my cars.

Im gonna start this from the way begining. two weeks ago my lebaron was down awaiting parts. so for the mean time i was driving my 79 bird back and forth to work.

so to start off talking a little about my firebird. Its a freshly built 400 cid from a 1975 Pontiac 400 (cant remember what model i got it off from the yard) cost $375 bucks!. so off the motor went to get built by my buddy at the machine shop. The heads are 16x and were the best factory head money ( which wasnt much lol...ebay!) would get you because they out flowed every head that pontaic made of that era. so, i had my buddy do the heads as well. Put new roller rockers, valves, ram air 4 spec cam etc. so blahh blahh blahhh, etc.

Now were talking two weeks ago again. my wifes father comes up to me talking smack about my firebird and how his 86 stock 5.7 corvette would kick my butt up and down the highway. so, i stood silent until the moment came. this past Sunday i wake up and watch spike tv, power block hour before the wife and i went to my parents for breakfast. he comes up with a smirk and says " lets take the cars for a spin!" IM like okay lets do it...while having a smirk on my face too.

3 runs!

first run- pull up next to corvette and i down shifted to second (built gran-national 200r w/ quick silver ratchet shifter btw) 3 honks go and i floor it and just when i was going to pull on him ...a car got in front of me...so i grabbed brakes!

second run- two open lanes with no cars in sight now!.
    Again i drop to second gear wait for the 3 honks and i gave it hell and just put buses on him lmao....

third run-
    gave him a car and same results of me whipping a$$ lmao

okay so lets fast forward this to yesterday June-11-09. i just got my lebaron put together in the morning, weld up my dsm bov and finished properly installing my huge intercooler... Now my car has a new motor as well.

she's my daily driver

2.5 common block
    forged hd rods
    Tu crack/wiseco .20 forged pistons also from tu
    785 ported everything w/two piece intake manifold ported and exhaust ported too (heat wrapped)
    s60 turbo w/.63 a/r
    a-555 tranny.....yellow pp kit ...tu recommanded
    32x12x4 interocooler installed 2.5 piping
    CAI
    3" exhaust 2.5 sv
    Mopar cal burned (thanks risen!!!)
    13psi

okay, back to the story

yesterday i dropped my firebird off and picked up my lebaron from my parents house late last night, put 20 bucks of gas and went to my apartment. brother texts me saying

Brother- Hows the firebird
    Me- good, she's at the parental units house
    Brother- OO thats cool
    Me- Yea, she's running great too, just suck she has know heat
    Brother- oh, well hows the lebaron
    Me- Insane
    Brother- lol, what do you mean
    Me- just Insane! cant tell you, you just need to feel it
    Brother- ohh
    Me- wanna ride?
    brother- sure
    Me- okay, on my way
    Brother- we should run them
    Me-run what
    Brother- the firebird
    Me- okay!

i let my brother drive the firebird too. he has been a major help putting this car together. So, i get to my parents house and the firebird is warming up. After 5 Min we leave my parents house to the local spot were we usually run. But we saw the 5.0 trooper and said "not Here"

Took it to a 2 lane highway going straight for miles with no merging traffic!

first run-

55 mph ( i thought i was gonna get annihilated) Im in 3rd and so is my brother he tells me to GO! so we nailed it and instally put a car on him and then i bounced off the rev limiter (rpm gauge dont work ) shifted to fourth and we were dead even.

second run-

same thing i put a car on him and try to shift when i think is the right time and again bounce of the limiter and were dead even shifting into fourth!

third run-

i was in 4th this time and he was in third and we were neck and neck the whole way!

i was very impressed with the results. when i had my 2.2 t3 turbo in my lebaron it was no were as near what this setup does at 13psi. My 2.5 setup is so smooth and quiet as its running threw the gear i didn't even know when to shift LMAO. LOve it

Sorry for the long story but i just wanted to share it all with you!

Joey
    Last edited by TurboII; 10-17-2009 at 08:51 AM.

turbo addict

Re: 88 lebaron vs 425whp 79 firebird *long*

SWEET! gotta love beating v8s

Great story, thanks for sharing...now it's time to show the FIL
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing...now it's time to show the FIL
    lol what does FIL mean? film?

my cars are in the tm garage

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    lol what does FIL mean? film?

my cars are in the tm garage
    Sorry...Father in law
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Sorry...Father in law
    ooooo hahahahahahah sorry. yea i know im gonna be very discrete about it

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    SWEET! gotta love beating v8s
    its always a plus with half the cylinders. Funny thing was i didnt waste much gas compare to the V8.... phucker drank like 1/4 tank of gas doing that!

Hybrid booster

hahaha i can really imagine doing this. very nice man. i know exactly what you're talking about: hit the gas in a TD and you go way fast, while hitting it on a v8 only means you can watch the needle of the fuel gauge move downwards while only going, well, slower as you already proved great job!

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    hahaha i can really imagine doing this. very nice man. i know exactly what you're talking about: hit the gas in a TD and you go way fast, while hitting it on a v8 only means you can watch the needle of the fuel gauge move downwards while only going, well, slower as you already proved great job!
    i cant really talk bad about my firebird its a very potent car....it was fun tho.. my brother thought he was gonna blow the doors off me...hehehe guess not!

Joey

Hybrid booster

well there's nothing to bad mouth about a stout v8, even more so a real pontiac engine, and even more so in a nice 2gen f-body with a 400cid you should have gobs o power when it's built up to 425 hp at the wheels. i'm just saying that you still stomped it AND you're getting better gas milage of course you can never substitute a V8's cammy idle or its roar when you get on the go-pedal.. it's just a whole different world. as you stated, it's still cool to outrun a built one with only half the cylinders

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    well there's nothing to bad mouth about a stout v8, even more so a real pontiac engine, and even more so in a nice 2gen f-body with a 400cid you should have gobs o power when it's built up to 425 hp at the wheels. i'm just saying that you still stomped it AND you're getting better gas milage of course you can never substitute a V8's cammy idle or its roar when you get on the go-pedal.. it's just a whole different world. as you stated, it's still cool to outrun a built one with only half the cylinders
    oooo soooo true. i like having both worlds! now i need a n/a all motor daily driver to beat around in!

Joey

turbo addict

oooo soooo true. i like having both worlds! now i need a n/a all motor daily driver to beat around in!

Joey
    Get a 1st gen neon and go 2.4 all motor. Fun fun fun.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Get a 1st gen neon and go 2.4 all motor. Fun fun fun.
    i have the "sister" version lol...2.0 sohc 96 Plymouth breeze. its my wifes dd...96hp of pure furry!!!!!

turbo addict

i have the "sister" version lol...2.0 sohc 96 Plymouth breeze. its my wifes dd...96hp of pure furry!!!!!
    2.0 sohc has 130hp. 219whp has been achieved with a 2.0 sohc.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    2.0 sohc has 130hp. 219whp has been achieved with a 2.0 sohc.
    130 to the wheels? 219whp n/a? daaaaaammmmzzzzz

turbo addict

130 to the wheels? 219whp n/a? daaaaaammmmzzzzz
    130chp, so I guess in an auto it probably is right around 100whp. 5 speed sohc neons usually dyno around 108-115whp stock.
    http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...349007&start=0

TurboII

thats sharp looking. nice car