Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder head cc's

Cylinder head cc's

OK,
    Contacted Comp Cams today for info on getting a custom camshaft for my on-again NHRA stock eliminator project (found a reliable helper so I can take time off from my seven-day-a-week job).

One of the specs they need in order to make a selection is the runner volume of both the intake and exhaust ports. Has anyone ever cc'd the stock ports on a 782 cylinder head?

Todd

turbo addict

Re: Cylinder head cc's

Silly ? Todd. Of course I have.

Swirl # 4105782(NOS casting), uncut used casting
    Combustion Chamber volume (50.4), 51.0
    Intake port volume (72.8), 74.0
    Exhaust port volume (56.0), 56.0
    Swirl piston dish volume (2.5 piston) -14.5 (-27.5)cc

These volumes are stock. They're are some variables due to casting. I have found the Mexican casting are generally a bit better out of the box flow wise.

Todd

Also arent the accepted specs posted on NHRA's site? Its blocked at work or I'd check.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Also arent the accepted specs posted on NHRA's site? Its blocked at work or I'd check.
    I seemed to remember seeing them too somewhere, and they are pretty generous if I recall. Todd, go as big as they allow on the intake, and bring that piston out of the hole as much as they will allow. Lots of quench and compression improvements to be had by going to the rules limit.
    I still can't figure out how they can monitor boost pressures accurately on NHRA legal cars? Seems like way too many ways to bend the rules.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I seemed to remember seeing them too somewhere, and they are pretty generous if I recall. Todd, go as big as they allow on the intake,
    Can't port you get what you get and you don't throw a fit, legally.
    I still can't figure out how they can monitor boost pressures accurately on NHRA legal cars? Seems like way too many ways to bend the rules.
    Todd
    They can't. Mostly they just look at the turbo and count fins. I'm not even sure they're able to measure pitch and size. There seems to be a big honor system for these cars because most of the guys like it being a budget class. Obviously with trick parts and ingenuity the records could be much lower.

I spoke with Art Leong and Jim Wahl, (RT1092,Dodgepilot) and they both agreed that building the short block to NHRA specs wasn't a good idea because they said they got too much compression. Jim even went so far as to say he liked the stock pistons over the Ross legal pistons. Both guys were running 2.5 non IC cars. I understand its these guys opinions based on their actual results but they are both accomplished racers. Theres also, Terry Ryan/gasketmaker, Tim Kish/Tim Kish, Dennis Chapman/turbocars on here that are successful class racers with these cars to obtain opinions from.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Good info.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Silly ? Todd. Of course I have.

Swirl # 4105782(NOS casting), uncut used casting
    Combustion Chamber volume (50.4), 51.0
    Intake port volume (72.8), 74.0
    Exhaust port volume (56.0), 56.0
    Swirl piston dish volume (2.5 piston) -14.5 (-27.5)cc

These volumes are stock. They're are some variables due to casting. I have found the Mexican casting are generally a bit better out of the box flow wise.

Todd

Only Mr Nelson

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Silly me

Was gonna call you Todd, got a new cell phone and didn't switch over phone numbers yet. Should have just PM'd you... I figured you would have the volumes if anyone would.
    I have a good Mexican casting off that VNT LeBaron I parted a couple years ago, that's what I was planning on running. I'm actually taking tomorrow and Monday off, I'd like to get that head down to you or Cottrell for a look see.

Hi Sean, I did go on the NHRA website (actually have blueprint specs saved on my desktop here in the store) but the only number I saw was combustion chamber cc's. Course, it's probably RIGHT THERE and I didn't see it...Done that before. Thanks for the help guys.

Todd

Sean, NHRA just posted compressor wheel measurements in the last week or two on the website.

Are you still planning on a GLHS stocker?

Quote Originally Posted by vntodd View Post
    Sean, NHRA just posted compressor wheel measurements in the last week or two on the website.

Are you still planning on a GLHS stocker?
    Interesteing about the compressor wheel measurements. My friends Dad was complaining about a SVO Mustang in his class.
    Thats the plan. Somewhere. I was going to use the Shadow, but it needs a roll bar and some body work. I'm hoping to get the GLHS in the body shop the first of the year and get it going.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

Last I had looked at the NHRA info, it was all for the 445/287 castings.

I've also seen volumes and chambers vary as much as 3cc.

Quote Originally Posted by vntodd View Post
    Silly me

Was gonna call you Todd, got a new cell phone and didn't switch over phone numbers yet. Should have just PM'd you... I figured you would have the volumes if anyone would.
    I have a good Mexican casting off that VNT LeBaron I parted a couple years ago, that's what I was planning on running. I'm actually taking tomorrow and Monday off, I'd like to get that head down to you or Cottrell for a look see.

Hi Sean, I did go on the NHRA website (actually have blueprint specs saved on my desktop here in the store) but the only number I saw was combustion chamber cc's. Course, it's probably RIGHT THERE and I didn't see it...Done that before. Thanks for the help guys.

Todd
    Steve Menegon
    1989 T2 GTC (Sledgehammer)
    11.872@120.21
    1987 Shelby Lancer #574 - 13.79@104.65
    2005 SRT4 ACR (Mamba) 12.612@110.96 (Now Junk)
    2016 200S (The Silver Billet) 14.70@92.7

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I seemed to remember seeing them too somewhere, and they are pretty generous if I recall. Todd, go as big as they allow on the intake, and bring that piston out of the hole as much as they will allow. Lots of quench and compression improvements to be had by going to the rules limit.
    Todd
    They don't monitor boost at all...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rob, I went on IHRA's website looking at the Modified Compact (SS/AC thru E/C) classes. There is no mention about turbochargers in the class breakdowns. Were you running your Daytona sans turbo, or have the rules changed since your class win?

Todd

There's no mention that they're excluded. The rule states 'the original engine for the vehicle claimed' - that's a turbo engine. I ran it turbo'd. I got clearance from the tech guys a few weeks before the event that they expected the car to be turbo'd. Of course, this was Div3 Tech guys. Your divisions interpretation may vary. But, they said that the rules did not exclude a turbocharged engine from that class. It just had to be factory turbo'd.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    It just had to be factory turbo'd.
    Factory turbo'd, or use the factory turbo? Meaning if it was tuurbo'd from the factory you can run a larger turbo, or like stock it has to be the same size as stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Factory turbo'd, or use the factory turbo? Meaning if it was tuurbo'd from the factory you can run a larger turbo, or like stock it has to be the same size as stock?
    No, like stock class - has to be the stock turbo.

Basically, the IHRA is pretty cool about it. They let me run it, but if I had gone in there and been #1 qualifier (actually, hard to do in that class with a stock-class Daytona), then I might've been torn down and probably tossed for not having a roll bar...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Figured, but it was worth a shot.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    No, like stock class - has to be the stock turbo.

Basically, the IHRA is pretty cool about it. They let me run it, but if I had gone in there and been #1 qualifier (actually, hard to do in that class with a stock-class Daytona), then I might've been torn down and probably tossed for not having a roll bar...
    Are the stock class cars required to have a roll bar even if they don't run quicker than 11.5...the newer roll bar requirement for bracket cars?

No, but super stock Modified Compact are, regardless of how fast (slow?) they run...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I kinda have an interest in trying IHRA, and it's not too far from Mpls. to tracks like Byron, or Martin, MI (well, yeah, that one might be). I can always run Stock, but running against some of those 9 sec. and now 8 sec. SS cars might be interesting!

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast