Thread: simple dual stage boost controller

boostaholic

simple dual stage boost controller

So Ive been pondering this for sometime now, just got around to play'n w/ my idea. Its just a simple DSBC using 2 "grainger" relief valves, an oem solenoid,and a switch.
    Regular grocery items are what you may possible spot on the Food Lion Ad.

Heres a layout of the "simple" design,

I wanted to set the system up so when the switch is off, solinoid is NOT charged, to my high boost setting 20-24 psi. i know this is a lil different.

I want my low boost setting, switched on, to to give me a launch style boost setting. 10-15 psi. (fyi im auto, i like boost at the line)

The solenoid in the "off" position passes the High boost pressure thru the solenoid onto the w/g.

When u flip the switch "on" it changes the flow to the other, Low Boost pressure, port out to the waste gate.

Im not going to get into how to set up the graingers I will ,however, address the outlet port to the waste gate side. There are many ways to add a nipple to this end. Some pound a brass nipple into it, some machine a tip and JB it, then i found this way. Easy, cheap, and effective.

Valves!

I sweat a compression tube insert (home depot) into the end of th GV.

I had made a "brass fitting" sytle vacuum block that has worked out real well.
    I attatched the GV dirrectly to it for ease of mounting the valves. Kinda gave it a cool look too!

Im still undecided on where im putting the solinoid this is the one I had laying around.

As it was told to me, keep the run of hoses as short as possible, so I was thinking of replacing my turboxs BC w/ the solenoid. I mounted it on a bracket on the back side of the throttle body flange. Nice and close

The TurboXS HPBC im replacing,

Im still in the works on this but I figured if I was going to do this, Id do a write up on it. This is the K.I.S.S. method of a DSBC.

Ill keep it updated while I work on it, and when I test it...
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:59 PM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Re: simple dual stage boost controller

Awesome! I'm still unsure of how the solenoid closes the path of one valve and opens another. Looks simple though. Good job, looks clean!

boostaholic

Ok well Ive finished it up and I like it! You can use any switch u want of course, I decided to go a lil radical w/ the switch "ON" feature.

My horn didn't work as Im not one to honk the horn much anyways, so I used the factory horn buttons to activate the solenoid, pretty stealth switch huh? I also add an "Indacator"LED light , u know just to make sure power is going to where it needs to go.

Now to go over why I did it this way again, I wanted my full boost active all the time, I want to activate the solinoid via switch to run a lower boost, strictly for launching . You can run it either way, switched on for high or low boost, its your preferance.

Heres under the hood after all said and done!
    ------------------------------------------
    Which Vac/Boost line goes where.

I mounted the solenoid above/behide the throttle body flange.

The "G" Valves, notice the "custom Sharpie work" H / L

Im going to take it for a drive tomorrow and fine tune the valves. Im lookin somthing like low boost to be 12-15PSI and high boost 19-24 PSI.

Hey mabye this thing can run at the track w/ street tires

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Lookin good Jaren!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

You'll like this set-up. I've got something similar using one G. Never heard of the solenoids not liking high boost, so I have to keep an eye on that. So far no problemo though.

Have mine set for 15psi then "all of it". Hittin' the switch is like a shot of nitrous. Tucked a halved WG/Purge solenoid bank bracket behind the manifold on the firewall. Switch is one of those small black RadioShack types mounted just under the dash cowl above the air vent. Can't see it till it's "on" (lighted).

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Have mine set for 15psi then "all of it". Hittin' the switch is like a shot of nitrous.
    +1 to that... I had a dual setup on the Z but didnt work too well with the external gate... spiked to 30psi thenfell back to 20... I didnt have it plumbed right tho, LOL!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Well it works!took it for a romp, and it does what it is ment to do. see'n 12 PSI in low boost get a lil cherp coming out of the hole but it pulls hard no more spiny spin spin. hel it low thru 1st ckicked 2nd let go of the button just as it was shifting, and cracked the tires loose! at 18 PSI!

i didnt push much more than that, good thing cause when i got back, popped the hood and the afpr o-ring is seeping, not much but enough to cause a concern.

i can seem to keep a good seal there, billet 1pc here i come.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Good to hear. I'll have to keep this thread in mind for future references.