Thread: Wilwood or Brembo possible?

turbo addict

Wilwood or Brembo possible?

Do these companies offer L Body brake kit systems? If not what is best solution for more stopping power in a stock GLHS?

Re: Wilwood or Brembo possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Do these companies offer L Body brake kit systems? If not what is best solution for more stopping power in a stock GLHS?
    Minivan fronts and solid rear rotor setup is said to be more than adequate for these cars.

turbo addict

I'm staying with drums for the rear because I hear of too many disk conversions locking up on the track. I'll probably go the minivan front setup and will be calling Wilwood and Brembo soon just in case I DO win the lottery.

Last I checked Brembo had nothing. However, Wilwood had a front kit for our cars, not sure if they worked on the minis or not.

Hybrid booster

See link below.

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2845

It's possible to use neon coil overs with Wilwood Neon SRT brakes, but it is kind of overkill on a light L body.

Yeah unfortunately our cars are SO light they don't need the extra stopping power, especially the rear. However.... I am planning to do a Daytona front brake upgrade and rear disc upgrade in the future using a proportioning controller for the rear. It's more for vanity than necessity.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I'm staying with drums for the rear because I hear of too many disk conversions locking up on the track.
    Horseschitt!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    Horseschitt!
    Does the Whore have rear disks? If so I should take it for a test spin.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Like minigts stated, using a front/rear adjustable proportioning valve will remedy a problem with the rear disks locking up.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

As noted, we have many cheap alternatives that will work better or just as good as a Wilwood setup.

Here's the low down-

SLH packages
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    As noted, we have many cheap alternatives that will work better or just as good as a Wilwood setup.

Here's the low down-

SLH packages
    Thanks for this link.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I've had two L's with minivan fronts and solid disc rears. Also had one with stock fronts and solid rears. Even the Stock fronts / solid rears would lock up all four wheels and stop the car on a dime. No overpowering of the rears either.

Get a good pad, bleed the brakes good.

Brake ducts and SS lines wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If you still want more, yes, Brembo's / multi piston calipers have been done. Keep in mind if you go with calipers with a large frame, you'll be stuck with larger wheel sizes unless you get specially designed wheels (i.e. I have a set of 15" SSR's that clear a WRX brake set-up).

Tire's play quite a role in stopping power as well, but I'm sure you have that down since you are tracking this car.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Get a good pad, bleed the brakes good.

Brake ducts and SS lines wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Tire's play quite a role in stopping power as well, but I'm sure you have that down since you are tracking this car.
    I'm running Porterfield Race pads, stainless steel lines, hi temp brake fluid and R compound tires right now. It's a good setup and has enough stopping power for my current setup at 14psi, but I'm considering turning up the boost to 18psi and just want to make sure it's enough stopping power then as well.

Good idea on bleeding the brakes, I experienced some fade during my last few sessions that a good bleed would've cured. Next time I'll be prepared.

This may sound like a dumb question but how do I, what do I use for an effective brake duct setup. Does anyone have pictures they'd share?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

I called Brembo and after a lengthy discussion, he said can't I just upgrade to a VW larger disk and caliper or something like it to add more thermal temp capabilities. I said, hell yes, we have a minivan brake upgrade in our world of T.D. Looks like that's my path. Thanks all for your opinions.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I have minivan fronts and R/T rears on my omni and it will stop very well. The only time the rears are a problem is when it is wet out and you need to make a panic stop. An adjustable prop valve would solve that though.

turbo addict

Does the Whore have rear disks? If so I should take it for a test spin.
    Yup and sure!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I called Brembo and after a lengthy discussion, he said can't I just upgrade to a VW larger disk and caliper or something like it to add more thermal temp capabilities. I said, hell yes, we have a minivan brake upgrade in our world of T.D. Looks like that's my path. Thanks all for your opinions.
    Why not? what was his reasoning or excuse?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info