Thread: Enthusiast Seat repair questions

Mitsu booster

Enthusiast Seat repair questions

My Pacifica came with the enthusiast seat in it, but the lumbar & thigh bladders leak down as soon as you let go of the buttons. The the bolsters work fine, and other than tired fabric the seat is in really good shape.

Earlier today I went to a junkyard with the remains of an '89 Shelby Daytona that had the maroon leather interior and enthusiast seat. Unfortunately that car didn't have a driver's window and the seats were much worse than what I already had to work with.

Has anyone rebuilt one of these seats? Is there a check valve in the air line somewhere I should be looking for?

Are the seats supposed to lock in the upright position, or are they supposed to flop forward to allow easy rear seat access without hitting a release lever? It's been too many years since I had my original, I can't remember.

Also I'm assuming nobody makes reproduction seat skins for these cars yet, right?

Thanks,
    Rob

Re: Enthusiast Seat repair questions

I can only answer the last two.

They have an inertial lock like your seat belts. It should lock upright under hard braking. Otherwise it will fold forward without the use of a latch.

There are no after market skins for them but you can spend a little more and have the reupholstered.

Mitsu booster

Thanks. Didn't know about the inertial lock for the seat backs. At least now I know not every seat I come across is broken.

I figured there wasn't anybody like Legendary making repro seat skins, and have a guy in mind for reupholstering mine using what's left of the skins as a template.

-Rob

Mitsu booster

So nobody else has tried to rebuild an enthusiast seat?

-Rob

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Mopar View Post
    Thanks. Didn't know about the inertial lock for the seat backs. At least now I know not every seat I come across is broken.

I figured there wasn't anybody like Legendary making repro seat skins, and have a guy in mind for reupholstering mine using what's left of the skins as a template.

-Rob
    I am a katzkin dealer, so I can check for you to see if there is leather upholstery available for these. What year is the car? I can call tomorrow and see.

Hybrid booster

I had a set recovered by an upholstery guy, turned out really nice. It is expensive depending on what material you use, I went with a really nice naugahyde cause I figure they won't dry out and crack as quick as the leather will, since I live in the sunny part of socal. If you have leather that is still decent on an original set, use lots of lexal and they will soften up again really nice.
    My other daytona has a set, that are original leather, and really nice except for the shoulders of the seat up by the head rest. Sun beat on them with t-tops. I put lexol on the seats alot, and will just rub extra on that area and let it sit and soak in over a few days, really helped to soften up and rejuvinate those spots.

Mitsu booster

Mopar318 - The car is an '87 Pacifica. I doubt they have anything going back that far, but thanks for checking into it. A few years ago I checked with Katzkin for skins for my '96 Dakota, and they only had a listing going back to '97 when the body changed.

Tommy - My seats are cloth, not leather. The car came from TX and the sun took its toll on the cloth.

The part I'm really curious about is the air pump/hoses/bladders for the enthusiast seat. Mine will pump up but bleed down as soon as you let go of the button. Does anybody know if they have a check valve in there or anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
    Rob

turbo addict

Mopar318 - The car is an '87 Pacifica. I doubt they have anything going back that far, but thanks for checking into it. A few years ago I checked with Katzkin for skins for my '96 Dakota, and they only had a listing going back to '97 when the body changed.

Tommy - My seats are cloth, not leather. The car came from TX and the sun took its toll on the cloth.

The part I'm really curious about is the air pump/hoses/bladders for the enthusiast seat. Mine will pump up but bleed down as soon as you let go of the button. Does anybody know if they have a check valve in there or anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Thats the thing. You probally arent a dealer. I have, and can get information that other dont. In fact my price list goes all the way back to the 87 dakota. If you want leather seats, I will call and check on them. It only takes a few minutes to call and check.

Mitsu booster

If you don't mind checking on the '87 Daytona skins, that would be great. I'd like to do them in a maroon leather to match the original color.

Thanks!

-Rob

turbo addict

If you don't mind checking on the '87 Daytona skins, that would be great. I'd like to do them in a maroon leather to match the original color.

Thanks!

-Rob
    Ok, I should be able to call tomorrow.

turbo addict

why dont you take the frame of that seat in the junkyard

Hybrid booster

I can tell you of a place to get the nos style fabric. I actually got samples from them. When you recover them you can check the bladders, lines and check valves.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

SMS auto fabrics has had every fabric that I have asked about. Not for the tight walleted type though...

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    why dont you take the frame of that seat in the junkyard
    Because the yard was too expensive. You don't get out of his yard for less than $100. If I could have gotten the seat for $20 it would be home now.

-Rob

turbo addict

oh wow what kind of yard was it?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    oh wow what kind of yard was it?
    One that thinks their stuff is made of gold. They do have some good stuff, and it's run by some Mopar drag racers. Since racing is an expensive hobby I guess that gets reflected in their prices...

turbo addict

Sorry, No covers available through katzkin. I will check some other sources to see what I can find. Sometimes I can find NOS covers from the manufacture who makes them for the cars.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Sorry, No covers available through katzkin. I will check some other sources to see what I can find. Sometimes I can find NOS covers from the manufacture who makes them for the cars.
    Thanks for checking. Don't worry about checking with the others. If you come across any that would be great, but I'll just plan on having some stitched up. I need to get the leg & lumbar parts working first. I'll use the seats from my '86 parts car while the enthusiast seat is getting worked on.

-Rob