Thread: Overhead console repair

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Overhead console repair

Little screw posts all crumbled to the touch and I think were a source of some very annoying vibrations throughout the interior. So I made some 'forms' like you would use to pour concrete posts and glued them to the remaining stubs on the console piece. After the plastic epoxy sets I'll mix up some JB weld and fill each 'form' with the stuff and drill for new screws.

3 papermate ballpoint pens were sacrificed to make this happen. roughed up all the bonding surfaces with some course emery cloth. If this works I'll be very happy, if not I have a spare parts console I can cannibalize as a last resort.

turbo addict

Re: Overhead console repair

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Little screw posts all crumbled to the touch and I think were a source of some very annoying vibrations throughout the interior. So I made some 'forms' like you would use to pour concrete posts and glued them to the remaining stubs on the console piece. After the plastic epoxy sets I'll mix up some JB weld and fill each 'form' with the stuff and drill for new screws.

3 papermate ballpoint pens were sacrificed to make this happen. roughed up all the bonding surfaces with some course emery cloth. If this works I'll be very happy, if not I have a spare parts console I can cannibalize as a last resort.
    i like the idea. i did something similar tot he spolier of my old 88 daytona whent he studs broke off in it. BUT to make my like easier, while the epoxy was in the hardening proces still kinda mushy but firm, i ran new studs in it, let it sit about 5 minutes,and untreaded them out - viola, instant threads