Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant get past 11 PSI, Why?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

I cant get past 11 PSI, Why?

All,
    In my recent change over to TII I have been unable to get past 11PSI. I have a Grainger valve with the strongest spring installed and the adjuster tightened all the way in. The supply line for the waste gate is hooked directly to the intake manifold. My Turbo is in good condition. My intercooler piping is 2 1/2 inch diameter ID. I am using a stock TII intercooler. I am experiencing blow by as I have posted in the exhaust forum. I am wondering if the large diameter and length of the I/C pipe is acting like a huge reservoir that the turbo cant refill fast enough. Shouldnt this thing boost to about 20 PSI with the waste gate closed?

Thanks, jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Re: I cant get past 11 PSI, Why?

whats it do with the wastegate just unplugged

Thanks for your reply!
    I dont know at this point and will have to wait until next week to test that theory. Lets suppose for a moment that it will excceed 15 PSI. (there is no overboost cutout in my particular chip) I would think that a hose being off the system someplace would be noticable. I have checked, none are off. So I am still looking for the answer to the same question.
    jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

This test is safer, hook up the wastegate to manifold vacuum, no mbc, no restrictors and post up what happens.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

TVM, will do, raining in southern wisconsin today, when it drys up I will run the car it will only take a couple of minutes.
    jeff1234

yea with it unplugged it should fly way up and hit boost cut out, if you had boost cut out, not really safe to do with it eliminated unless you want 4 ash trays lol

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    All,
    In my recent change over to TII I have been unable to get past 11PSI. I have a Grainger valve with the strongest spring installed and the adjuster tightened all the way in. The supply line for the waste gate is hooked directly to the intake manifold. My Turbo is in good condition. My intercooler piping is 2 1/2 inch diameter ID. I am using a stock TII intercooler. I am experiencing blow by as I have posted in the exhaust forum. I am wondering if the large diameter and length of the I/C pipe is acting like a huge reservoir that the turbo cant refill fast enough. Shouldnt this thing boost to about 20 PSI with the waste gate closed?

Thanks, jeff1234
    If this is the case (bold type in your post) then you'll only see around 10 psi boost. What do you have the grainger hooked to? It should be in the line between the manifold and the WG Actuator.

I always ran mine from the nipple on the turbo right back to the wastegate and never had a problem

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    I always ran mine from the nipple on the turbo right back to the wastegate and never had a problem
    I do too ... but you have to have it in the line regardless ..LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    I do too ... but you have to have it in the line regardless ..LOL.
    right lol

Alright you guys, that was a very funny comment about the ash trays, I laughed out loud for real. My grainger valve is inline with the intake and wastegate actuator. I dont have an overbooost cutout but I do have a boost gauge, eyeballs and an accelerator foot that is wired to my brain, so I will punch it and let off as soon as the ashtrays come flying out of the oil pan. Do you think this will be OK? LOLOLOLOL
    I will report the results soon.
    jeff1234

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What wastegate actuator are you using? A stock T2 will blow open around 15-16 psi normally but sometimes the spring gets weak I think. It doesn't have an adjustable arm on it does it?

If you hook the line directly from the intake to the wga w/o the grainger installed, it shouldn't boost past 5-6 psi.

FFMOPAR, I have a new WGA from T/U, non adjustable. Your suggestion that 5-6 psi corresponds with what Simon had to say, so I guess I wont be creating any ashtrays after all. Heh Heh! Thanks again for your help with the fender liners, I am very happy with them. jeff1234

Hello all, here's the update. I took the car out this afternoon after work. I disconnected the WGA line and plugged the port on the supply line from the intake. I got a good solid 13 psi, but no higher. Apparently the WG is being blown off the seat at that pressure. Thats OK for now, I dont need to go higher until next spring.
    jeff1234

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Hello all, here's the update. I took the car out this afternoon after work. I disconnected the WGA line and plugged the port on the supply line from the intake. I got a good solid 13 psi, but no higher. Apparently the WG is being blown off the seat at that pressure. Thats OK for now, I dont need to go higher until next spring.
    jeff1234
    The extra washers which come with the MP head bolts are great for shimming the WG to get 20+ PSI out of them.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Yeah I shimmed my T2 wga w/ head bolts, it ran 15 psi solid, I saw 16 a few times under WOT in 3rd gear in the mountains.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Yeah I shimmed my T2 wga w/ head bolts, it ran 15 psi solid, I saw 16 a few times under WOT in 3rd gear in the mountains.

with 2 spacer i hit 30 + psi with a old t2 small can actuator

Hey all, I am missing something here. As I form a mental picture of my WGA I dont recall anyplace where I could install washers. Are you suggesting moving the WGA closer to the turbo by installing washers behind the mounting bracket?
    Thanks jeff1234

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

use washer between the turbo housing and the actuator bracket

Thanks for the info, thats not going to be fun to do with the turbo buried behind the intake. Well, its sucks to be me. LOL Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast