Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price guess for a decent 87 Shelby Charger?

Hybrid booster

Price guess for a decent 87 Shelby Charger?

I am looking for either a 87 GLHS or a 87 Turbo. I have a good idea what the GLHS's are worth since there have been many discussions here already. However, how much would a decent shape non-GLHS Turbo be?

I am looking for one with non-peeling paint and no rust, so it should be in decent shape with all the parts there and running fine. Normal mileage car. Basically a driver that I don't need to restore or paint immediately.

$2000? $3000? What are your speculations on an offer price?

Derek

turbo addict

Re: Price guess for a decent 87 Shelby Charger?

Derek,
    I have a 87 SC that is very nice. For sale too, but not at your price point. New paint alone cost 2-4K for anything decent. The two tone SC are time consuming to paint. Time is money in the body shop. Prices are all over the place based on condition, mileage, etc. Call me if you find a money tree!
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3226.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	17631  

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Derek,
    I have a 87 SC that is very nice. For sale too, but not at your price point. New paint alone cost 2-4K for anything decent. The two tone SC are time consuming to paint. Time is money in the body shop. Prices are all over the place based on condition, mileage, etc. Call me if you find a money tree!
    Todd
    Yes, I am aware that painting one of the regular SCs would be expensive. It is part of the reason that I am looking for one with good original paint - to avoid a repaint. It may be hard to find, but I am sure its out there. Oddly, I think its much cheaper to paint a GLHS, and a GLHS may end up cheaper in the end. That is why I am trying to see what the regular SCs will cost.

If anyone has a SC for sale that has not advertised recently, feel free to let me know! I can spend more than 3000, I just don't want to pay MORE than its WORTH.

Derek

Hybrid booster

You'll have to spend $4k-$5k to find what you want if your seriously planning on finding an original paint one. Finding any SC in any kind of shape now is practically impossible. There are some deals out there but it takes awhile to find them. Good luck!

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the replies. So I have determined in my search that this appears to all be true - hard to find, and around 4-5K. Ok, this helps so that I know where I stand. I can kiss 2-3K goodbye.

Derek

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

its possible to find them cheap. but not cheap and nice. these things didnt hold up well in general.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1366122678.html

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

You will be lucky to find one cheap and in good condition with paint and average mileage, very lucky. I also think you will spend at least 5k on a nice one and even at that they hard to find. Good luck

Hybrid booster

Does it have to be a GLHS? There are a bunch of other Non Shelby cars on here almost everyday in the for sale section. I picked up my 87 Shelby Lancer for 1500. 80,000 miles on it.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Hybrid booster

Oh crap nevermind. Your concerned about paint. lol Good luck with that!
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Hybrid booster

Bought an '87SC last year (donor car) that was mostly intact for $500--frame was rotted through. Looked at a deal (through CL) on two more this past June that both would have had to have been trailered home, one was wrecked, for $1500. Passed on those.

There are still deals out there but anything with a decent paint job and the word Shelby on it is likely to be over $3K, running or not, and going up in price while you're reading this.

Decent GLHS's, last year, were fetching about $3500. Now I see them at $5000 and up. Saw one on eBay Wednesday for $11000, seller claimed it was showroom new.

Guess you have to work out what you want the car for-- Still a lot of other nice Dodge turbos around--the Daytonas were very stout cars, and the Lancers were the ultimate sleepers. Other guys buy grandma-owned Omnis and bolt on the Shelby gear. Just have to keep looking. Good luck.

Hybrid booster

I did find two 87 SC's - one had original but very good paint, $5000. The other had brand new paint and was well above $6000. I made a deal to buy one of them, picking up at end of October... Since I don't have it yet, I don't want to count my eggs until I have it in my garage.

So yes, seems like everyone was right on price, but at least I know I am not making a bad decision, seems like I am in the ballpark. Thanks!

PS: For my first Turbo Mopar, I wanted it nice to drive immediately. My next one will probably be more of a project that can be down a lot of time.

Derek

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

congrats on the purchase! post details as soon as you get it!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Todd's car is very nice and you will be very happy with it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS069 View Post
    Todd's car is very nice and you will be very happy with it.
    Ok ok, so I guess you know. I see you are in MN as well. The car looks great and the mods are all good. I am just trying to work out the exhaust cause I need a catalytic converter to pass emissions in NJ (they use a mirror to look for it), and I may need to tune it to pass...

Picking it up next weekend.

Derek

turbo addict

Very nice car. Todd owns nothing but the best and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Very nice car. I think it has some wild Spearco intercooler setup that pulls air from under the engine bay?
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    Very nice car. I think it has some wild Spearco intercooler setup that pulls air from under the engine bay?
    Yeah, its mounted in the engine bay with the intake under the car... This car has all kinds of rare mods on it, like the cheater Shelby LSD. Its just a car that I could not duplicate for the price. I wanted a perfect car for my first time back into TMs, ever since I sold my 84 Laser XE in 1994. My next car may be more of a project car.

Well, I will know next weekend!

Derek

Hybrid booster

Saw that car at SDAC and it's stunning! Won first place against some very nice l-bodys. You'll be way ahead buying a car that's already done too. congrats!

For a cat I can recommend these magnaflows. Not too expensive and compact.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magn...63223/10002/-1

Todd sold that beautiful black Shelby Charger that was at SDAC-19? get out. that's gotta be one of the nicest L-bodies I ever saw. i am really surprised he let that one go.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for all the good reviews of this car! Cause I live in NJ and bought the car only from pictures and his words. Todd seems like a respected guy here, and he is great with email communications - very detailed explanations which makes me feel good about buying it sight unseen. I am flying out there and driving it home. If there isn't 12 inches of snow up there...

Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast