Thread: Why can't I boost higher than 12 psi??

Why can't I boost higher than 12 psi??

I've tried several different 3 bar calibrations that are supposed to boost to 18 psi but I can never boost over about 12 psi. As an experiment I tried using a manual boost control device and found that I have no problem going as high as 21 psi (afraid to try any higher). So...why do I have no problem boosting as high as I want with a manual device, but when I leave it up to the ECU to control the wastegate, it won't le me go higher than 12 psi!!??

Hybrid booster

Re: Why can't I boost higher than 12 psi??

There are others on here that will probably have a lot more knowledge about this than I.

I would look at the hardware that the computer controls to adjust boost. After checking ALL my vac lines (including the one from the brake booster to the back of the intake manifold) and zip tying all of them (I had a similar problem at 12 lbs) I would look at the solenoid. I know you said you went up to 21psi with a MBC but if you had a leak somewhere in the lines you might have been running much higher than the gauge was reading.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Why are you using the computer to control it? I'm not sure I see the point in using the vacuum solenoid.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The stock setup can be made to work but most times, you'll be bashing your head against a wall. Just leave the MBC hooked up and adjust to your desired boost level.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The stock setup can be made to work but most times, you'll be bashing your head against a wall. Just leave the MBC hooked up and adjust to your desired boost level.
    I agree. I never set the boost settings in my cals I use a MBC on everything.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

I totally destroyed my last engine with detonation and I'm trying to be cautious this time and figure out how it happened. The engine showed signs of prolonged detonation, one of the pistons had its rings broken into many pieces and all the bearings were smashed to pieces and literally crumbled apart when I took the engine apart.

I don't really understand how the automatic boost control system works so I'm just wondering if there is a reason why the ECU won't allow full boost, and whether I should be figuring this out rather than ignore it by bypassing it with a manual boost control device. I do know that the ECU will retard timing if it senses detonation but can it also limit boost if it senses detonation or other problems?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
    I totally destroyed my last engine with detonation and I'm trying to be cautious this time and figure out how it happened. The engine showed signs of prolonged detonation, one of the pistons had its rings broken into many pieces and all the bearings were smashed to pieces and literally crumbled apart when I took the engine apart.

I don't really understand how the automatic boost control system works so I'm just wondering if there is a reason why the ECU won't allow full boost, and whether I should be figuring this out rather than ignore it by bypassing it with a manual boost control device. I do know that the ECU will retard timing if it senses detonation but can it also limit boost if it senses detonation or other problems?

The stock computer won't pull boost if it sense's detonation, the only thing it does is pull timing.

Its tedious to make the stock boost control work with a bunch of add on's, hence why 90% of us use an MBC or EBC as they are rock solid and reliable. If you turn the boost up slowly, you won't damage anything.

What mods do you have and what gauges?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

It depends. If your cal is based on the '89T2 or earlier, then no. It won't reduce the boost due to detonation. But, from the '89 2.5 T1 and all later cals will change the WG duty cycle if there is detonation detected. It won't reduce the boost 'target' so to speak, but it will effectively lower the boost by closing the solenoid. It's a short term correction, though, so if you get low boost due to that, you must have a ton of detonation...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I have an 89 t2 setup.

I was totally stupid, I didn't have any gauges or anything (except for a dawes device which I guess is not very reliable since it never told me that there was any problem). Now along with my new engine I have a wideband O2, an EGT sensor, and an AFPR. But, in my defence, I had a custom calibration (Paul V) and I wanted to the computer to control the boost so I wasn't pushing my luck. But since it wouldn't go higher than about 12 psi on its own, I added a manual boost device as an "experiment" and a couple weeks later, blown up engine!

I just remembered something else to add. When I tried putting the stock injectors, map and a Mopar Performance Computer in the car, it boosted to 14psi, just like it's supposed to. But with the 3 bar cal (in fact I have two different ones from different calibrators) both calibrations rated for 18 psi max out at around 12 psi.

I have an 89 t2 setup.

I was totally stupid, I didn't have any gauges or anything (except for a dawes device which I guess is not very reliable since it never told me that there was any problem). Now along with my new engine I have a wideband O2, an EGT sensor, and an AFPR. But, in my defence, I had a custom calibration (Paul V) and I wanted to the computer to control the boost so I wasn't pushing my luck. But since it wouldn't go higher than about 12 psi on its own, I added a manual boost device as an "experiment" and a couple weeks later, blown up engine!

I just remembered something else to add. When I tried putting the stock injectors, map and a Mopar Performance Computer in the car, it boosted to 14psi, just like it's supposed to. But with the 3 bar cal (in fact I have two different ones from different calibrators) both calibrations rated for 18 psi max out at around 12 psi.
    Nothing wrong with a Dawes, if you pay attention to it at WOT, you can't do any damage if you have the right gas and no knock.

As for an MBC, you can only blow sh*t up if you go too crazy without using your brain, like I tend to do,

I honestly would just stick with an MBC and be done with it, why pull your hair out over something so trivial.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 09-25-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Anyone else agree/disagree with Turbovanman that I stop worrying about why my setup won't boost automatically and just use a manual control device?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

My guess is that you're running a 2.5 and the computer boost control doesn't work because your custom cals are based on the '89 T2 which uses a different style of boost control compared to the T2 (T1 uses a bleed style). If you want the computer boost control to work, it has to be plumbed appropriate to the style of boost control being used. Maybe try re-plumbing your boost control like the T2 (complete with restrictors-they're important!)...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki