Thread: ATX ratio from markings? Emptying a TC?

turbo addict

ATX ratio from markings? Emptying a TC?

Hi guys,

Any way to tell the final drive ratio from auto transaxle case markings?

Just picked up a '90 A670 to replace mine for cheap and had the nasty thought it might have been on a 15" wheel van and had a different final drive.

It's under a 90 day warranty from the wreckers where I got it and they marked everything but the pan bolts, so I can't check anything unless I wanna lose the warranty.... yeah it was cheap but money is money.

I guess when I pull the speed sensor out it, if the gear is a different color I'll know but I think they used the blue one over 2 or 3 ratios, 'coz it also depends on stock tire diameter.

BTW if anyone knows if I can bodge a non-cable speed sensor into a cable speed sensor, I'd like to know the trick, 'coz I've got two cable ones that were throwing codes (Though it could have been tranny issues) and this tranny came with a fresh looking non-cable one in it, so if I could just pry something out and swap it over, that would be great.

Secondly...

The torque convertor that was on it came off a little dirty, it's got sawdust and crap around and possibly in it, I think they hosed off the tranny from storing it in a barn and I'm concerned that crap and water got washed back into the convertor, so what's a good way of flushing and emptying them?

Thanks,

RW222

Edit: Yeah, first thing I checked was end play when I got it back here, looks good, about 30 thou, not like 120++, so hope that means it's got a good while on the current bushings/washers/bearings. Any way to guesstimate how much is on the kickdown/front band by how far the adjustment screw goes (Remember I can't just look if I want the 90 day return)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: ATX ratio from markings? Emptying a TC?

Go here for the tranny gear ratio-

http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/transmain.html

TC can't be flushed, only way is to cut it open.

SDS, only way I know is to get the right one.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Go here for the tranny gear ratio-

http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/transmain.html
    Awesome!!! I've seen that page before too, why can't I remember the useful stuff.. Looks like its unpossible that it can be different unless that particular tranny has played musical vans.. so I'll double check.

TC can't be flushed, only way is to cut it open.

SDS, only way I know is to get the right one.
    Gah, gonna have to be real careful cleaning it off then, so nothing does wash into it, I might try inverting it and fountaining ATF into it from a drill pump to freshen what's in there.

New SDS it be then.

turbo addict

If the TC is questionable I would think about getting a new one. I saw these on ebay and thought about getting one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...Q5fAccessories Even though they are on ebay they have a 3 year warranty.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    If the TC is questionable I would think about getting a new one. I saw these on ebay and thought about getting one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...Q5fAccessories Even though they are on ebay they have a 3 year warranty.
    Good find but the only issue I see is, shipping your core back, add another $28. I guess you could just eat the $10 core,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Well I might exchange my old TC then so I got a new one to go with the old tranny when I rebuild it. If this one does crap out it's refundable or the tranny is. No particulates got in my old one, but it does have a small faint blue blush on it near the shaft so might have got cooked, and lockup clutch might be on the thin side.