Thread: Help an RT solve issues and beat a Vette!

Garrett booster

Help an RT solve issues and beat a Vette!

Hope this is ok to put here as I don't know if I will be left stranded or not. Sorry this is so long. I am not real mechanical but try to gather info to help my mechanic who does work on TD's. I have a modified Spirit RT, as some of you may have seen my earlier thread. I have a person with a 1986 Corvette convertible that wants to race me. They said the engine has been modifed to be like what they used in the pace cars I assume at that time. I would love to win this race and should be able to with my beast. However, the beast is a little shaky at this time and I would really like to solve some of my issues before I race them if any of you can help. I tried to make this pretty detailed.

My setup is currently Spearco fmic, mbc, Garrett gt 30, + 40s, afpr, wideband, stage 4 fwdp cal, 6 puck clutch and now a walbro 190 fuel pump. I used to hold 20 pounds of boost without any problems and afr was mostly good all around. I bought a walbro 255 but it was bad. Anyway, my mechanic installed a walbro 190 pump he had and re did the vacuum lines to look cleaner. Mbc comes from on line right from wastegate I think. Now, the idle is rough. Car starts ok most of the time but then within minute or so settles to low idle around 500-650 rpm with rich a/f ratio around 9-10.

First problem, I can't seem to get the fuel right no matter what I do to the fuel regulator. The car want to be very rich in high vacuum, (more than minus 10 pressure or so), and is around 8.8 to 10 or so. Then when I am cruising with the boost around neutral it is around 10-12 or so. However when I try to partially boost at say 5 to 12lbs and feather the gas to keep it in that range, the a/f gets lean somewhere in there for a second or two and sometimes I can feel the Cal pull back timing for a second or so as well. The a/f will be around 12-13 but has a few jumps up to 17-19 for the split seconds as mentioned. Especially if I am in fairly low rmps, start to give it a lot of gas, but not floored, for a second or to where turbo just starts to ramp up and I then left completely off the gas fast; then I can many times feel that timing hesitation for a second or so. If I give it say more than 3/4ths to full throttle I am back to the rich condition even as the rpms go up to redline around 8.5 to 10 again. When I adjust the fuel leaner, the idle improves slightly but the partial boost is even leaner. Also, if I richen it a lot the partial boost seems better but the car is even richer and more sluggish on the bottom and at full throttle.

Problem two is the boost creep that has reared its head even before I took my car back to my mechanic for the fuel pump and a new gas tank.
    The boost will go to where I set it on the gvalve initially but after 4000 rpms or so it will continue to creep till redline or cal pulls back timing at wot. I have gvalve set around 20 or so and it creeps till I have to let off around 24 or so for fear of detonation. Seems this way in each gear. I tried adjusting the wastegate arm looser but doesn't help. I also wondered when I loosened the arm on the wastegate I took it off the place where its connected to screw the arm out. The little thing, I forget what its called, where it hooks back on towards the turbo housing turns freely when I turned it with my hand with the wastegate arm disconnected. I thought when I messed with it months ago it was tight and wouldn't move but I could be mistaken. My turbo is internal wastegated GT3076r and was wondering if something was keeping the flapper from opening correctly. Or what else could be wrong? What about the fuel pump. I seemed much better off fuel wise with the stock pump. I know there could be another issue causing the problems like timing off or something else. Gas mileage has suffered as well lately. Was always getting over 20mpg with some extreme driving thrown in before these problems. Now I seem to be around 17 or so.

Despite all of this, the car is still fast and fun to drive as long as I feather the gas around 3/4 throttle and careful not to floor it to keep the boost around 20 and a/f ratios are good at that point as well around 10.5-11.5 or so. Can drive normal with no problems other than rough idle and occasional slight leaning out.

Trying to get an idea where to start. I believe my car was around 400whp at 20lbs before these problems but probably not now. Any suggestions and help me beat that Vette!

turbo addict

Re: Help an RT solve issues and beat a Vette!

Quote Originally Posted by tazaroo View Post

my mechanic installed a walbro 190 pump he had and re did the vacuum lines to look cleaner.
    Go over the vacuum lines again.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Go over the vacuum lines again.
    That's probably a good idea, I guess I could have a small leak somewhere.
    Anybody else got anything?

Garrett booster

update: found one vacuum leak and zip tied it. Seems to be idling better but still have boost and fuel problems.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What brand of boost controller?

Did you port the wastegate hole? What's your DP setup look like?

I would call the cal vendor and they might have to tweak it. I am assuming its a TIII?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The only difference that the pace car may have is aluminum heads, which all Vettes got in '87. We're not talking about earth shattering differences in power here.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What brand of boost controller?

Did you port the wastegate hole? What's your DP setup look like?

I would call the cal vendor and they might have to tweak it. I am assuming its a TIII?

Good questions, I have the standard g-valve which worked great earlier so don't think it is the issue. Did not port the wastegate hole but it used to work fine when new turbo was installed about a year ago for at least 6 months boost was rock steady. My downpipe is 3" all the way. Yes it is a T III and Cal is from fwdp. Fuel used to be much better until I changed out the stock pump with the Walbro.

I am wondering if part of it is vacuum leaks. I have drove the car some more since my last update. I am definately idling better today since I found that one leak coming from the vacuum hose that runs right down beside the dipstick. The fuel may be doing better. Looks like I might be able to lean it out some more before I get back into that partial boost lean problem I have been having. It was still boost creeping but It may be doing it a little less than it was. I'm not sure yet. That would be something if all my trouble is coming from vacuum leaks. I haven't found any other vacuum leaks so far though and it still might be something else as well.

Drove the car today with the entire family. All five of us and trunk was loaded down. Car still is fast. I think I can still beat the vette and can live with being a little rich if I have to but would sure love to get all the creep out so I can just floor it.

TurboII

i was told that +40's arn't actually +40 their a tad more like 45'ish so that's why she is running rich

Joey

Garrett booster

update: found a few vacuum leaks and idle is slightly better but still have fuel and boost issues! Just don't get it. It is still rich at idle, about right with very slight gas petal input, Lean when giving it just a little more gas to where at time the cal pulls back timing for a second or so. Say around a quarter of the petal. When I give it three fourths to wot, I am back either 11 a/f or richer. Then with my boost problem if I don't let off the gas some once the rpms get up past 4500, I start boost creeping fast and it doesn't stop doing so until I let off the gas some. I can manage it and keep it around 20 if I watch the boost gauge and shift the gas petal accordingly.
    Could I still have some other vacuum issues? Does it sound like its a problem related to the closed loop/ open loop throttle? Even though changed a few month ago, could this be related to the O2 being messed up or getting the wrong voltage? Any more ideas?

boostaholic

Ahhh....anyone else seeing he still has the 190 pump in there? If you think your running 400 hp...i REALLY advise to get another 255.

I forgot when the 190 runs out....

boostaholic

Heres a quote from thedodgegarage:

Stock fuel pumps seem to be adequate for engines making horsepower in the 270-290 hp range; over that is the deadly risk of Russian roulette

turbo addict

With all these vacuum leaks you may be forgetting the computer adjusting adaptives to try and cope with the issue. When you find/fix a vacuum leak be sure to reset the computer to clear the adaptives and then give her some time to learn the correct adaptives needed to remedy your situation. Your fuel issues should come back around...your overboost situation is boot creep and aside from porting the wastegate hole or converting to a external wastegate I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast.

Good Luck