Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Logworks plugin for SMEC/SBEC/LM

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Logworks plugin for SMEC/SBEC/LM

Here it is, finally, 4 months overdue. This is the initial release of my logworks plugin with smec/sbec support. This will read the data from your ECU and publish it into logworks for integration with the output from your wideband o2. I've tested it on a 88 t1 smec on the bench and it's stable (had it running for 3 or 4 hours today). I haven't had any chance to test it on a sbec or an lm yet, but it should work on those 2. Please let me know if anyone has problems with it, but please try and follow the directions below before having me chase a user error . There are still plenty of other features that I'm still working on (auto-id being one).

So, what do you need to use this thing?

1) an Innovate LM-1 or LC-1 and Logworks2 (I've had reports of logworks3 working, I haven't confirmed)
    2) a serial or USB interface for you SMEC/SBEC/LM

That's it for needed hardware. Here's the basic instructions on how to use the software.
    a) You need to install logworks2, default settings are fine.

b) You will need to hook your wideband output to one of the serial ports or USB ports on your laptop. You need to know which com port your Wideband is hooked up to.

c) You will need to hook your ECU up to another USB or serial port on your laptop. Yes, you need 2 ports, both always connected. You will also need to know which com port your ECU is connected to.

c) You need to extract the lw2_lm_vdev.exe file from the zip in this thread somewhere to your hard disk. When you open the .zip file it will be under the Release directory.

d) Run the program you extracted. This is the logworks plugin that will read the data from your ECU and publish it into logworks for integration and graphing with the wideband output. You will now need to configure the plugin.
    d.1) You need to select your type of ECU. It cannot be autoid.
    d.2) You need to select your com port, this must match the com port your ecu is connected to.
    d.3) You need to select your ram map. This must match the cal you're running.
    d.4) You need to select which variables you want to log by placing a check box next to them. If you select a variable and it's address is FF, it will not be logged because the address is unknown.
    d.5) You can now hit start. You should see the status line change, then start flipping rapidly and all the boxes should become greyed out.

e) You will now need to start logworks. You need to know which serial port your wideband is connected to and select it from the dropdown menu.

f) At this point, if all has gone well, you should be able to add some guages and watch the realtime guages with your wideband. You can also start a realtime log, which will log and graph the values together.

Notes of caution, items worth mentioning:
    You cannot stop the plugin while logworks is running. If you want to make changes you need to close logworks, close the plugin, then restart the plugin select the changes and restart logworks. I wish there was a way around this, but between the plugin's current architecture and logworks, it's not possible ATM.

You cannot start logworks before the plugin.

If you botch something (like mistakenly edit an address) you can hit reset, and it will reset all the values to defaults.

Changing ram maps will also change the variables addresses. So, if you edit one map, then change to another, your edits will be gone.

Your last sessions' settings are saved to the windows registry and reloaded upon next run of the program. If you like this feature buy Jeff C a beer for requesting it .

Autoid doesn't currently work. It will in a future release since I now have a working bench rig.

Variables with address of FF are ignored, even if you select them.

Source code is included, however It's still got a *long* way to go. If you want to mess with it I would appreciate being able to provide any improvements to everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

boostaholic

Re: Logworks plugin for SMEC/SBEC/LM

awesome... now if only i had a car worth logging

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

turbo addict

so i cant get this to work. i unzip it and go to the release file then it asks me if i really wanna run it then i click run and it doesn't open. wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    so i cant get this to work. i unzip it and go to the release file then it asks me if i really wanna run it then i click run and it doesn't open. wtf?
    Ok, try this before we go too crazy. Save the zip file somewhere, like to your desktop and close your browser. Then right-click the .zip file and say extract to somewhere (like your desktop). Then, once you open the folder that was extracted, navigate to the Release subdirectory. In there you'll see a .exe file with a funny squiggle as it's icon (it's supposed to be a lambda symbol, but I have the artistic abilities of a 3rd grader with Parkinson's). Double click that .exe file and you should be presented with the main screen for the plugin.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, awesome. Where do you get the serial interface for the SMEC?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Ok, try this before we go too crazy. Save the zip file somewhere, like to your desktop and close your browser. Then right-click the .zip file and say extract to somewhere (like your desktop). Then, once you open the folder that was extracted, navigate to the Release subdirectory. In there you'll see a .exe file with a funny squiggle as it's icon (it's supposed to be a lambda symbol, but I have the artistic abilities of a 3rd grader with Parkinson's). Double click that .exe file and you should be presented with the main screen for the plugin.
    lol yea i go a little ape shyt on stuff sometimes ill try that and report back. thanks.

turbo addict

k i did everything u said and still when i click on the lambda symbol it acts like it opening but nothing pops up? i had it open ONCE then it never opened again. no clue what happened. lol

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, awesome. Where do you get the serial interface for the SMEC?
    You can either use one of the interfaces that Rob is selling (if he's gotten to them) or use the dlp-txrx-g USB module I have in the KB article on LM datalogging.

If you use the dlp interface you'll need to set the tx/rx inversion switches in mprog (which is actually much easier than I just made it sound). For the car side, you will need to hook up the green sci wire to the pin with arrow pointing twards the black connector and hook the pink sci wire up to the pin with the arrow pointing twards the USB connector on the device.

The KB article gives a pretty good walk through of the software side, the sci usage is really the only item I need to be more explicit with.

Maybe tomorrow after my dentist's appt I'll get to that stinking KB article.

k i did everything u said and still when i click on the lambda symbol it acts like it opening but nothing pops up? i had it open ONCE then it never opened again. no clue what happened. lol
    What version of windows are you running? And are you running any antivirus software?

turbo addict

windows vista. and no anitvirus. maybe widow$ defender? but i had it open ONCE and closed it. then tried to open it again and nothing. ive deleated it and downloaded it like 8 times. same result. also had another problem with winlog. rpm reads way different. boost is maxed out at idle. throttle position is at 50 at idle and goes to 100 at 50% lol. and there are two different rpm things for the lm plug in on that. bbs60 only and 2 byte. whats the difference? which do i need? i have a T-LM cal. im using franks dash too. the rpm reads 15rpm. yes 15. not 1500 lol. and goes up from there. but not to 1xxx just stays in 2 digit numbers. maybe im doing something wrong? the only logger that seems to work perfect for me is lm log. but it doesnt have the gauges like i like. thanks for responding. if need be i can take a video of whats going on and post it on youtube. maybe video will explain alot more.

Garrett booster

wow this came at a perfect time. Hopefully my dad and I can get our hybrid project going soon and test this plug-in out

thank you for setting this up dude!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRT4 View Post
    wow this came at a perfect time. Hopefully my dad and I can get our hybrid project going soon and test this plug-in out

thank you for setting this up dude!
    lol at ur advatar

windows vista. and no anitvirus. maybe widow$ defender? but i had it open ONCE and closed it. then tried to open it again and nothing. ive deleated it and downloaded it like 8 times. same result. also had another problem with winlog. rpm reads way different. boost is maxed out at idle. throttle position is at 50 at idle and goes to 100 at 50% lol. and there are two different rpm things for the lm plug in on that. bbs60 only and 2 byte. whats the difference? which do i need? i have a T-LM cal. im using franks dash too. the rpm reads 15rpm. yes 15. not 1500 lol. and goes up from there. but not to 1xxx just stays in 2 digit numbers. maybe im doing something wrong? the only logger that seems to work perfect for me is lm log. but it doesnt have the gauges like i like. thanks for responding. if need be i can take a video of whats going on and post it on youtube. maybe video will explain alot more.
    Ok if you use winlog you need to scale the rpm by 32 as long as you leave it at the defaults. You can use either RPM address for T-LM, I believe it still has the tweak for the 1 byte RPM. Although, the 1 byte will be faster. Multiply the 1 byte by 32 that and it should look sane (both logworks and winlog will do this automatically for you once you configure them to). You'll need to do the same in logworks, actually. All the values will return 0-255 in the guages, you just need to setup the mappings. All of the scaling/mapping will be taken care of in the future, but for now, most of the values are easy enough to map.

TPS is a little tricky, here's the basics. 0 throttle will equal 0, 100% throttle will equal 255. But, your throttle position sensor never actually hits 0% or 100% of their voltage range (ever noticed how you have to twist the sensor a little when you put it on the throttle body?). So you need to map your closed throttle (50 in your case) to 0%. Now, the maximum throttle can normally be found by taking the minimum value (50) and subtracting it from 255, which should give you 205 as your 100% throttle point. If you use that scaling in winlog, TPS should look sane.

There's some thread around here with the info on how to setup the scaling for winlog, it's probably in the winlog plugin thread.

I don't know what's going on with the logworks plugin. I assume you've tried to reboot? And does it give you a error message about the program needing to close because of an error?
    Last edited by risen; 09-25-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: not very precise

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Ok if you use winlog you need to scale the rpm by 32 as long as you leave it at the defaults. You can use either RPM address for T-LM, I believe it still has the tweak for the 1 byte RPM. Although, the 1 byte will be faster. Multiply the 1 byte by 32 that and it should look sane (both logworks and winlog will do this automatically for you once you configure them to). You'll need to do the same in logworks, actually. All the values will return 0-255 in the guages, you just need to setup the mappings. All of the scaling/mapping will be taken care of in the future, but for now, most of the values are easy enough to map.

TPS is a little tricky, here's the basics. 0 throttle will equal 0, 100% throttle will equal 255. But, your throttle position sensor never actually hits 0% or 100% of their voltage range (ever noticed how you have to twist the sensor a little when you put it on the throttle body?). So you need to map your closed throttle (50 in your case) to 0%. Now, the maximum throttle can normally be found by taking the minimum value (50) and subtracting it from 255, which should give you 205 as your 100% throttle point. If you use that scaling in winlog, TPS should look sane.

There's some thread around here with the info on how to setup the scaling for winlog, it's probably in the winlog plugin thread.

I don't know what's going on with the logworks plugin. I assume you've tried to reboot? And does it give you a error message about the program needing to close because of an error?
    very good info! yes ive rebooted. and gives no message. the only time anything gives me an error is winlog when i try to configure the device the second time. the first time im able to do everything i want. then i can go in again and it will shut down and give an error message.

turbo addict

ok just to clarify what he is talking about by "scale" u go into edit>device config>logic mod driver> then example: click on rpm. click settings then import then find the correct readme (rpm or engine speed cant remember) and click open and WAHLAH its scaled! took me about 20min to figure out what the hell he was talking about lol. but i got it.

turbo addict

update. scaling worked for winlog. but if i go to configure it again after ive configured it. it just crashed and shuts down lol.

update. scaling worked for winlog. but if i go to configure it again after ive configured it. it just crashed and shuts down lol.
    Hmm, I thought I fixed that with winlog. Well, I need to update that plugin to support smec and sbec ecus, so I'll put it on the list of things to check. I believe that if you want to adjust the winlog plugin settings you can remove the driver and hit ok, then add the driver back in. That should give everything a clean initialization and you should be able to do what you want.

Now, the logworks plugin, there's 2 things we can try. The first is that you can run the program in windows xp compatibility mode. You can set it do this by right clicking on the program and selecting properties. On the properties page there should be a tab where you can tell it to run in compatibility mode. Try an set it to XP.

The second is you can try and remove the registry keys the program creates. I can give you the place to remove them from, but if you're not comfortable with regedit, this may not be a good option.

turbo addict

k hold on ill try the xp thing.

turbo addict

k i tried the xp thing and still the same results? i just don't understand why in the hell it worked the first time i had it on this computer and now nothing lol. i also tried it on my parents computer and same results.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast