Thread: Hub/axle question

Hybrid booster

Hub/axle question

I've got an 89 Horizon with a 5 lug conversion from a Shelby Charger. On the passenger side everything is as it should be. On the driver's side, the axle fits in the hub fine it seems but I cannot use the little circular spring that sits behind the little cap that goes on before you put the cotter pin through the axle. It is as if the axle is a bit short. It all fit on the original 4 lug hub.

I just had new bearing put in and had to really reef on the axle nut to get it to a point where I could easily slide the cotter pin in with the little cover minus the spring. I don't want to end up messing up the new bearing. Any ideas what's going on?

Martin
    89 Horizon

Hybrid booster

Re: Hub/axle question

anyone?

Is this one of them non-issues?

Martin

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What is reefing on an axle nut? The torque should be 180ftlbs.

Also, I just use the washer and the nut.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
    I've got an 89 Horizon with a 5 lug conversion from a Shelby Charger. On the passenger side everything is as it should be. On the driver's side, the axle fits in the hub fine it seems but I cannot use the little circular spring that sits behind the little cap that goes on before you put the cotter pin through the axle. It is as if the axle is a bit short. It all fit on the original 4 lug hub.

I just had new bearing put in and had to really reef on the axle nut to get it to a point where I could easily slide the cotter pin in with the little cover minus the spring. I don't want to end up messing up the new bearing. Any ideas what's going on?

Martin
    89 Horizon

Are you sure the bearing is seated in the housing properly? Did you get the bearing clip back on?

If yes, then it could be you need to suck up the bearing/hub and axle before it will all fit. Barring that, and if everything is tight, no binding, just leave out the spring washer.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I'm wondering if the spindle might have a Daytona hub in it, or would that make a difference?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What is reefing on an axle nut?
    That would be bearing down on it with all you got, probably cussing at it since its not going together like you want it to.

Hybrid booster

What is reefing on an axle nut? The torque should be 180ftlbs.

Also, I just use the washer and the nut.
    My torque wrench doesn't go that high. I'm 50 and out of shape so my reefing would not be your reefing. I'll see what I can do about finding a torque wrench. With just the washer and nut I suspect I wouldn't even notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Are you sure the bearing is seated in the housing properly? Did you get the bearing clip back on?

If yes, then it could be you need to suck up the bearing/hub and axle before it will all fit. Barring that, and if everything is tight, no binding, just leave out the spring washer.
    I had the bearings replaced by a mechanic I trust. The hubs looked the same when I picked them up as when I dropped them off (with new bearings) so I trust it was done right. It fit the same way before the bearings were done, so the issue was there before I replace the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I'm wondering if the spindle might have a Daytona hub in it, or would that make a difference?
    I have no idea. I wonder if that would make a difference, or if it would matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    That would be bearing down on it with all you got, probably cussing at it since its not going together like you want it to.
    You are correct sir

Martin

Definitely find a torque wrench if you can. I would think that your problem may have to do with how the bearing is seated in the knuckle after further reading.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Maybe has a Daytona (or other non-L-body) spindle on that side? That would move the hub outwards just a bit.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Is the Horizon a 5-speed car?

If so chance might be that it has an older axle on the drivers side.

I had the same problem you are describing when I swapped the Shelby Charger hubs onto my 83 Rampage. The stock hubs on the Rampage used a narrower wheel-bearing and the hub wasn't as deep as a result, You are probably seeing the same thing on the Horizon. If you can get a cotter pin on it I wouldn't worry, otherwise you can try to get a different axle to use.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Definitely find a torque wrench if you can. I would think that your problem may have to do with how the bearing is seated in the knuckle after further reading.
    Yeah that is my concern. Although the two knuckles look exactly the same (like that means anything really....I know) I haven't got access to the appropriate torque wrench so tomorrow I'm going to back off the nut and tighten it up again. I'll start with 150 ft/lbs (the limit of my wrench) and push it a bit further. I hate even saying it given that I know it is not the right way, but sometimes we do what we can and fix things right later

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Maybe has a Daytona (or other non-L-body) spindle on that side? That would move the hub outwards just a bit.
    It came off a shelby charger sitting in the mud at the wrecker, so you may be correct. The axles were already gone from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Is the Horizon a 5-speed car?

If so chance might be that it has an older axle on the drivers side.

I had the same problem you are describing when I swapped the Shelby Charger hubs onto my 83 Rampage. The stock hubs on the Rampage used a narrower wheel-bearing and the hub wasn't as deep as a result, You are probably seeing the same thing on the Horizon. If you can get a cotter pin on it I wouldn't worry, otherwise you can try to get a different axle to use.
    It was and still is an auto. The original 89 n/a 413 was swapped for a built 90 413 out of my old minivan. The problem showed itself first with the original auto tranny in the car when I swapped the s/c knuckles on. At that point I just cranked down the nut and drove it (daily for a year at one point). I was just curious about what was causing the difference and whether it would cause a problem.

Thanks guys

I'm hoping to get it to the track this Sunday. Then I'll post the whole story about the car.

Martin

Hybrid booster

I have retorqued the axle nuts, not as tight as before but still well past 150 ft/lbs (the limit of my torque wrench). Now I get a clunking noise (one per revolution of the tire) when I just barely apply the brakes, no clunk when off the brakes or with firm pressure. There is also occassionally side to side movement that I have associated with worn inner axle joints in the past. I'm wondering about the driver side axle at this point. There were no noises prior to the bearing swap. With the wheels off the ground there is a click with each turn of the tire

Brakes are fine, checked them when I retorqued the axle nuts

I find it hard to believe that my cranking down the axle nut would create these type of issues but I could be wrong.

What do you all think?

Martin
    Last edited by Turbulence; 09-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.

At this point I really don't know what to think about your situation. Have you tried to center the motor?

Hybrid booster

It is one of those live and learn things. There is a shop near me (the one that installed the bearings). I was at wits end so I took it to them. The middle aged Italian mechanic figured it out.......warped rotors!!! of all things....grrr..

Once again, thanks

Martin

At this point I really don't know what to think about your situation. Have you tried to center the motor?

Warped rotors caused the difference in the axle, or the noise? The rotor doesn't have any interplay with the axle at all.

Hybrid booster

Sorry, the noise. Initially I thought the noise might be caused by the overtightened bearing since it started after I replaced the bearings, or a worn axle that just popped up at that time . The axle length issue remains but doesn't seem to make any difference. I at times make things more complex in my head than they need to be.

Warped rotors caused the difference in the axle, or the noise? The rotor doesn't have any interplay with the axle at all.