Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Lowering the SS/T

turbo addict

Finished Lowering the SS/T

I finished tightening up the bolts and took the BeaSS/T for a ride about an hour ago. The factory shocks must have been shot. All the bouncing, squeaking, and most of the vibration is gone. It sure is nice not to have to stretch or jump to get up into a 2wd pickup. I also took the receiver hitch off for a cleaner look. I'm thinking about putting the roll pan back on too.

The rear turned out to be a little lower than expected, which I'm happy about. In fact, the rear axle was sitting on the bump stops when I first put it on the ground. Once I cut them down, there won't be too much over 2" of suspension travel. I wasn't too happy with the front at first. It only dropped 1.5" instead of the advertised 2". I think the front has already settled down a little after driving it some.

Here are some decent pictures.

Before pictures:

Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Finished Lowering the SS/T

Looks nice

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Looks good, brought it down nice
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Looks good! Always liked the level look on a truck vs the rake.

boostaholic

i kinda wanted to put airbags on my truck.... people were like but dude its a beat 82 ford... and i was like yea but if i could drop my tailgate on the ground it would be soooo much easier to load

Hybrid booster

Looks killer! I've kicked around the idea of lowering my reg. cab Dakota, but decided against it due to the possible loss of functionality. Towing and hauling is easier when it's at the normal ride height. I didn't want to fool with airbags and all that mess.
    What did you do to lower it? Was it a kit of shorter springs, dropped spindles, hangers, etc.?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by neongary View Post
    Looks killer! I've kicked around the idea of lowering my reg. cab Dakota, but decided against it due to the possible loss of functionality. Towing and hauling is easier when it's at the normal ride height. I didn't want to fool with airbags and all that mess.
    Thanks! I haven't towed with this truck in ages. I had to take the receiver hitch off to get to the shackle bolts and it's not going back on. People laugh at me, because I've never hauled anything in the bed.

What did you do to lower it? Was it a kit of shorter springs, dropped spindles, hangers, etc.?
    I used Belltech's 4" lowering leafs, 2" coils, and Nitro Drop 2 shocks. With the leafs, you lose towing/hauling capacity, but I have the dually for that kind of stuff. I wasn't about to go with hangers/shackles in back. I didn't want permanently modify my truck by grinding the hanger rivets. Also, with spindles, you have to swap out the lower ball joint.
    Last edited by GLHS592; 07-13-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Hybrid booster

I don't think I've ever seen a truck of your vintage with a bed so "virgin". Damn! I have Rhino Linings in mine, so still looks good even after using it like a truck.
    I was looking at the Hotchkis lowering kit, but I see that they don't sell it anymore.
    I take it you have the 5.9L. Still stock? Lots of go-fast parts for the Magnum engines available.

turbo addict

holy cow your bed is clean! NICE truck looks good too

boostaholic

heh makes me wish i had nice stuff

it looks alot better, im sure it handles alot better too. Truck like that arent made to have junk thrown in the bed

turbo addict

I take it you have the 5.9L. Still stock? Lots of go-fast parts for the Magnum engines available.
    It is a 5.9 and it is still stock except for a K&N filter. If I can sell a few things, I'm going to do something with the drivetrain. I'd like to do a huffed 408 with a beefed up 46RE.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    It is a 5.9 and it is still stock except for a K&N filter. If I can sell a few things, I'm going to do something with the drivetrain. I'd like to do a huffed 408 with a beefed up 46RE.
    Give me your stock 5.9L to put in my new toy.

Looks great! There is a car lot in town that has a 5.9 RT short cab short bed for sale, but it has about 100,000 miles on it and wants 8 grand for it.
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Hybrid booster

Oh and by the way. Please leave the rear bumper on it. I'm one of the few that like trucks with rear bumpers on them. Roll pan is fine till you back into something or get hit.

boostaholic

looks great!
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Looks good, I need to do the same to my '93. I'll probably use drop shackles in the rear though.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzo_inc View Post
    Looks great! There is a car lot in town that has a 5.9 RT short cab short bed for sale, but it has about 100,000 miles on it and wants 8 grand for it.
    holy crap, 8 grand? other than a 360 you could spend $500 on performance upgrades and make a regular truck a r/t

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    holy crap, 8 grand? other than a 360 you could spend $500 on performance upgrades and make a regular truck a r/t
    There are cheaper ones out there. My Dak R/T was FS for $5k from the original owner. I got it for $4500 and drove it home from PA. Even with a ton of miles on it. I missed my original '98 R/T I bought new so this one just ended up here through a friend that new of it. I missed not having a truck at all. Kevins truck I have always liked too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby View Post
    Give me your stock 5.9L to put in my new toy.
    Ummm...no! If I pull the original motor out, I'm going to mothball it. Don't want to risk blowing a hole in the original block.

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby View Post
    Oh and by the way. Please leave the rear bumper on it. I'm one of the few that like trucks with rear bumpers on them. Roll pan is fine till you back into something or get hit.
    How did you know I was considering putting the roll pan back on? I've decided to keep the bumper. I've had to repaint the bumper once and replace it another time due to my backing mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast