Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LSR - Land Speed Rampage

Garrett booster

LSR - Land Speed Rampage

All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and the Rampage project I am working on.

Name is Gregg Adams from North Carolina.

I have been going to the Maxton Monster Mile (www.ecta-lsr.com) for Land Speed Racing as a spectator for about 4 - 5 years and finally got the bug to build something. Earlier this year, I picked up a 1983 Rampage and I am now setting it up as a true Land Speed Racer in the BMMP (Blown Modified Mini Production) truck class.

I have just gotten the truck back from my chassis guy who did the roll cage and some aluminum work. Now the fun work really begins. I will be swapping in a SRT4 (already have) and a Neon 3 speed auto (need to get). SRT4 front strut coil over assemblies (already have) are in the process of being installed. LeBaron GTC vented rear brake assemblies (already have) are to be installed. An axle flip will help to lower the rear. There are a lot of details I am leaving out, but I will add them here in the future.

The link to my chassis guys website and the pictures he took does not work anymore,
    so here is the link to my Protobucket.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...Speed Rampage/

I have just begun a build diary on landracing.com and it is a little more comprehensive than this one and that is the one I will be updating.
    http://www.landracing.com/forum/inde...c,10671.0.html

Let me know what you think.

Gregg
    Last edited by gkabbt; 01-05-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: put in new link

turbo addict

Re: LSR - Land Speed Rampage

i think its great.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Why would you put big brakes on it? The bigger brakes are harder to accelerate which means slower speeds. And an Auto? Wouldn't a 5spd be more efficient? Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool project!

I agree on the 5-speed for efficiency and long gearing options.

Going fast, big brakes might be needed pending shutdown area?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

I think you did it all wrong
    You should give it me and start over

Very Impressive chassis work
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Wow Serious cage work Gregg and I the bed cover. Little thumb lift in the center is a great touch! To think I was considering a simple four point hood for my Rampage Then again I'll see 150 not 250 What's the current speed record in that class and how bad are you gonna shatter it?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

my rampage has an axle flip in the rear the tires are tucked nicely, 205/50/15s on CSS lancer wheels. my front suspension is Neon Coilovers and that sits the front maybe 1/2in lower than the rear. my car i barely can get a jack under the front half of the trucklet

boostaholic

how fast are you planing to go?

Wow thats awesome!
    Keep up the good work. I would also wonder why you are going with a neon 3 speed your gonna need to build to hold power vs. a 5 speed?
    Q

Hybrid booster

Looks like its gonna be an awesome ride for sure. Lot of inquiring minds wonderin bout the auto. Great choice on the motor. What turbo you goin with?

Garrett booster

Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments about my project.
    Tim, my chassis guy, really did an awesome job on the cage and aluminum work.

Now let me explain about the method of my madness.

Big Brakes:
    Maxton, NC, is a standing 1 mile concrete track with .9 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
    Goliad, TX is a standing 1 mile asphalt track with .5 mile shutdown. There is additional runoff on hard dirt. Again big brakes needed along with parachute.
    Loring, ME is a standing 1.5 mile concrete track with 1 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
    El Mirage, CA is a standing 1.3 mile dry lakebed track with 1 mile shutdown so big brakes needed along with parachute.
    Bonneville, UT is a flying 3 mile salt flat track with 2 mile shutdown. Brakes are not really an issue here.

Automatic instead of 5-speed:
    In my research for the engine trans combo, what really struck me about the Auto are the Transfer Gears and their affect on overall FD ratio. Maybe my thinking is really crazy but I am seeing this as a mini quick change.
    Here is what I have found about possible final drive ratios:
    2.60 --- .91 transfer and 2.86 ring
    2.97 ---1.04 transfer and 2.86 ring
    3.02 ---1.06 transfer and 2.86 ring
    3.50 ---1.22 transfer and 2.86 ring

2.78 --- .91 transfer and 3.05 ring
    3.17 ---1.04 transfer and 3.05 ring
    3.22 ---1.06 transfer and 3.05 ring
    3.72 ---1.22 transfer and 3.05 ring
    With one transmission, I can gear for the short tracks as well as gear for Bonneville and this is why I am leaning towards the automatic. Crazy?

LSR is totally different than Drag Racing for classes. It is based only on engine size. My truck will be running in the F class, which is for engines between-2.0L - 3.0L, and naturally the SRT4 is a 2.4L. The current record for Maxton is 137 mph and for Bonneville are 138. I "think" my setup will go a "little" faster than that. I know the engine will go 200+ mph. Joegen Muller with Race Deck Floor Tiles did it a few years ago at Bonneville with both a Highboy Roadster and a SRT4. Both of these cars had engines prepped by DCR. DCR is located about 3 hours from me so I am going to talk with him about some engine work.

Alan, the thumb lift on the bed cover is really a nice touch but it will pinch the $h!t out of a finger.....Ask me how I know (LOL).

Sorry to ramble on but I am really stoked about this project.

Gregg
    Last edited by gkabbt; 09-13-2009 at 08:20 AM.

I like the auto for quick gear changes, but I'd be concerned about heat build up. That sucker is going to get hot with your foot to the floor for 2 miles straight.

Sweet project! For the last two years, I've been trying to get to Maxton for the Hot Rod Top Speed Shootout, but I haven't been able to. Your Rampage may just get me down there finally to see you run.

Good luck!!!

Garrett booster

Pat,

I agree about the heat buildup being an issue. There will be a large trans cooler in the lower grille opening.

I was just getting ready to do another post about Maxton. They will be running next weekend Sept. 19-20 and this one is a bike shootout. There will be lots of bike and a few cars. The bike jokeys are absolutely AWESOME. No way I would do 200 - 260 mph in one mile on 2 wheels. Come down if you get a chance. It really is cool and the people are fantastic. Also, the final meet of the year will be Oct. 24-25.

Speaking of the Hot Rod shootout, I hope to have my truck there next April. Wish me luck.

Gregg
    Last edited by gkabbt; 09-13-2009 at 08:29 AM.

turbo addict

so your gonna have the big 11" front brakes as well? I've seen an Omni with 11" rears and the 10" fronts hit the brakes and the tail pass the front end right into a tree.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Wow! Awesome project! That chassis work is just killer! Can't wait!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    so your gonna have the big 11" front brakes as well? I've seen an Omni with 11" rears and the 10" fronts hit the brakes and the tail pass the front end right into a tree.
    Christ Jay! remember when you used to contribute useful information to threads?? Gregg has the vision, funding, and drive to make this project happen. So far you have only tried to tell why his plans are a bad idea

How about you GTFO of this thread until you are supportive? Believe me dude, we know, we *all* know you could do it better if you wanted to

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gkabbt View Post
    Pat,

I agree about the heat buildup being an issue. There will be a large trans cooler in the lower grille opening.

I was just getting ready to do another post about Maxton. They will be running next weekend Sept. 19-20 and this one is a bike shootout. There will be lots of bike and a few cars. The bike jokeys are absolutely AWESOME. No way I would do 200 - 260 mph in one mile on 2 wheels. Come down if you get a chance. It really is cool and the people are fantastic. Also, the final meet of the year will be Oct. 24-25.

Speaking of the Hot Rod shootout, I hope to have my truck there next April. Wish me luck.

Gregg
    Hopefully I'll make it next year...it looks like a great time. Running at Maxton is something I've wanted to do for a while. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but one of these days...

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

Pat

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

I am just loving this!!!!

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Personally, i think the difference you can make with transfer gears on an auto is about the same as the difference between 4th and 5th in a manual, and you dont have to 'swap' anything.

in a 3.50fd trans the difference from 4th to 5th is the difference from 3.50:1 and 2.50:1, approximately. which is about the possible range of gearing with transfer gear swaps on an auto.

The only difference is you wont get anything in between. And most people can max out 4th in fairly mild cars. Even revving to 6500 will probly get you no more than 140, which is something a completely stock srt-4 can do with ease, probably in a standing mile..

So im thinking the ability to gear down is going to go completely unused, personally.

With the auto, you'd have to run a lockup converter to avoid massive heat buildup with 1-2 solid miles of flooring it with a high power motor, and i dont know if you can get a converter clutch strong enough to hold it reliably..

So there are things for and against, but for reasons of lower heat problems and less parasitic loss i'd lean towards 5spd.

Cool project anyway!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Very happy to be reading this. One of the many things I hope to do soon as well. I'm going to try and make at least one of the events. Do you have an event that you for sure plan on attending yet?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast