Thread: Rad for water to air IC?

Rad for water to air IC?

I was wondering if a Transmission Fluid Cooler for a turbo mini would work for a water to air IC to cool the water? And by this I mean to cool the water that has already been through the IC.
    The size of the core I think is 6.25''x11.75'' with .25" inlets.... would this work or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

Garrett booster

Re: Rad for water to air IC?

Any motorcycle junkyard can hook you up with a small rad from a liquid cooled motorcycle, complete with cooling fan fitted to it. This is your best bet if you are looking to do it cheap with used stuff.

huh.... didn't even think about that.... I will have to ask my motorcycle buddy if he has any rads I can get from him...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Otherwise, yeah, that's what we used on my buddy's T-bird. Picked one up for like $40 from Summit.

Garrett booster

I made my stock intercooler into a heat exchanger for mine .

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA
    I was wondering if a Transmission Fluid Cooler for a turbo mini would work for a water to air IC to cool the water? And by this I mean to cool the water that has already been through the IC.
    The size of the core I think is 6.25''x11.75'' with .25" inlets.... would this work or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks
    I think it was on the Garrett/Spearco site where I was reading about A:W ICs and learned that they recommend a radiator about the size of those on compact cars for their A:W ICs.

You have to dump the same heat and you are doing it with two heat exchangers, as opposed to one. Yes, water is more efficient at pulling heat out of the metal fins of a heat exchanger (A:W IC) but that water then has to dump that heat into the second heat exchanger (IC Radiator) AND you are still pulling heat out of the AIR of the intake charge at the IC and then you have to push that same heat out of the radiator into the AIR outside - that is the same operation as with an A:A IC PLUS the heat has to go through two more exchange operations FROM the metal of the IC and TO the metal of the radiator - LESS efficient - not more.

Bottom line, your radiator for an A:W IC should be BIGGER (more surface area) than the best A:A IC that you might use as an alternative for your power level.

So, an A:W IC does not reduce the size of your IC package AND it IS more complicated. You have (1) the A:W IC and (2) the radiator for the A:W IC. Plus you have the complication of (1) two sets of hoses (a) the hoses for the air for the IC and (b) the hoses for the coolant for the IC, and (2) the pump, and (3) wiring it up. Then there is the greater risk of component failure that these additional parts/fabrications bring with them - as opposed to the simplicity of a simple A:A IC.

For my two cents, the real advantages offered by the A:W IC are (1) you can place an A:W IC under the hood and closer to the turbo and to the throttle body and that means LESS BENDS and LESS intercooler tract VOLUME for a presumed efficiency as compared to a A:A with 5 or 6 more feet of pipe and 3 or 4 additional right angle bends, and (2) it is easier and less destructive of your car (such as an Omni) to run 5/8" hose to a thin FM A:W IC's radiator than it is to run 3" to thick and bulky FM A:A IC.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

I cut the outlets off my csx intercooler flush to the tanks and tig welded half inch aluminum plate with 3/8 NPT holes in their places . The rest of the system includes the intercooler , a reservoir (it's mounted as the high point so it'll burp) a small fan , and a 12v pump . Also an aftermarket fan controller setup modified to switch the pump and fan based on a thermistor mounted in the intercooler .

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by burnfaster
    I cut the outlets off my csx intercooler flush to the tanks and tig welded half inch aluminum plate with 3/8 NPT holes in their places . The rest of the system includes the intercooler , a reservoir (it's mounted as the high point so it'll burp) a small fan , and a 12v pump . Also an aftermarket fan controller setup modified to switch the pump and fan based on a thermistor mounted in the intercooler .
    thermistor placement?...also gpm pump volume? .....continuous pump on
    or demand based?
    T.I.A.
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

I am going to be using a Geo Metro radiator, or anything of a similar size. Also go with a thin radiator... allows for a higher mass flow rate of air to remove heat.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

hmmmm what are the dimensions of the geo metro rad?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by mech1nxh
    thermistor placement?...also gpm pump volume? .....continuous pump on
    or demand based?
    T.I.A.
    My intercooler came with tapped holes in the top and bottom (I'm assuming for mounting brackets) I enlarged one of those for the thermistor , and used the other for mounting the unit . The pump & fan are activated by the thermistor via relays , the fan runs two minutes after the pump shuts off .It's a really simple circuit . The pump , I don't remember the exact flow without looking it up , but it was similar to the shur-flo ones I was looking into at the same time .

Garrett booster

BTW , my runner up at the time was a metro rad . I just thought of this as I am reticent to get out in front of the core support on this car .

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by burnfaster
    My intercooler came with tapped holes in the top and bottom (I'm assuming for mounting brackets) I enlarged one of those for the thermistor , and used the other for mounting the unit . The pump & fan are activated by the thermistor via relays , the fan runs two minutes after the pump shuts off .It's a really simple circuit . The pump , I don't remember the exact flow without looking it up , but it was similar to the shur-flo ones I was looking into at the same time .
    thx...burnfaster...off to parts land..lol..again!!
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.