Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I bumped the timing.....

So I bumped the timing.....

to 14* base timing instead of 12*. This made a tremendous difference! I know that I hear a lot of people tell me that "change x" made a few hp difference, but I have never been that keen on detecting a change of only a few hp. But, WOW, I can tell a difference with this change! The van takes about the same amount of time to get to full boost (18 psi right now), but the "seat of the pants" feel is more drastic. I am still showing a little rich on the Dawes Device (I have wideband, but have seen for myself that the DD shows lean/rich in accordance with the wideband), but still no knock.

Damn, I love this van!

BTW, I put it on a 260 cid Falcon the other day. Gave him the move at about 40 mph and spanked him all the way to about 90 mph. After we let out of it, he and his passenger came by me with a thumbs-up and two of the biggest smiles I have ever seen! THAT is what it is all about.

-Les

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: So I bumped the timing.....

Is that a stock cal? G-head or swirl head? I can't remember,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

LOL, I enjoy hearing stories where the loser has a good attitude! Good job
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right now I am running a Stage V FWD cal. This cal. doesn't give me the CEL when it detects knock like Rob's did, but it does pull timing if there is knock. I am running a ported 782 head with all new valves (stock-sized) and a FM 475 cam with PT lifters and 061 springs.

-Les

I would becareful bumping timing without monitoring it, sometimes its too late when you hear it.

Every engine is different so yours could tolerate some more timing, I know my current setup loves timing, so much so I think bakes blew his up because of it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Like I said, the computer pulls timing but it doesn't give a CEL. Is there any other way to tell if there is knock present?

-Les

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Like I said, the computer pulls timing but it doesn't give a CEL. Is there any other way to tell if there is knock present?

-Les
    Doesn't matter if it pulls timing, if you have too much and the computer only pulls out X amount, it will still melt, trust me. When you alter the base, your adding timing everywhere.

You need to enable the CEL flash or use a scanner or rig up your own set of ears to listen.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I would becareful bumping timing without monitoring it, sometimes its too late when you hear it.
    did i just hear those words come out of your mouth???

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    did i just hear those words come out of your mouth???
    Hahahaha, shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

My CEL light works, sometimes,

I have to send this chip back to FWD for a fine-tune; I guess they can do that when it is there? Otherwise, how would I rig up some device to listen, or can I buy some type of device that can listen for me?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8964/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TX...K/?image=large

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 09-04-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Cindy should be able to add that, if not, just get Rob to make you another cal with it enabled.

That's alot of money when you already have a factory system that works. Use a length of hose to listen, copper pipe, stethoscope.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I just need to swing by some weekend when I'm free with my 4000e. It displays knock active (general yes/no) and degrees of knock retard on each cylinder. I would assume that once you have it setup, if you leave it alone then, it should be good to go. Any changes and it is back to monitoring. This weekend is, of course, shot since I'm up in Johnson City, Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    I just need to swing by some weekend when I'm free with my 4000e. It displays knock active (general yes/no) and degrees of knock retard on each cylinder. I would assume that once you have it setup, if you leave it alone then, it should be good to go. Any changes and it is back to monitoring. This weekend is, of course, shot since I'm up in Johnson City, Tn.
    Awesome! That would be great, man. How about next weekend? I am off on Friday and Saturday. Do you have anything going?

-Les

turbo addict

Awesome! That would be great, man. How about next weekend? I am off on Friday and Saturday. Do you have anything going?

-Les
    There is currently nothing on the calendar for Friday or Saturday. Friday will stay that way for sure. Sounds like a plan.

Great. Let me know closer to the weekend when you have time to fit me in.

-Les
    770-778-7368

Check this out, I bought it at a garage sale about 2-3 years ago. It is called a Steelman ChassisEar. It has six clamps that can be attached anywhere; each has a 9' (or shorter) lead attached; the other side is plugged into the controller. When you put the headphones on you can turn the dial to listen to the corresponding sensor (clamp). Do you think this would work for listening to knock? I can tell you that I can hear a mosquito fart through it, so I am hoping it would be trick for listening to knock. I bought it thinking I would never use it. Also, with so many sensors, I could potentially isolate which cylinder has the most problem with knock? Dunno, but I am glad I spent the $5.

-Les

Check this out, I bought it at a garage sale about 2-3 years ago. It is called a Steelman ChassisEar. It has six clamps that can be attached anywhere; each has a 9' (or shorter) lead attached; the other side is plugged into the controller. When you put the headphones on you can turn the dial to listen to the corresponding sensor (clamp). Do you think this would work for listening to knock? I can tell you that I can hear a mosquito fart through it, so I am hoping it would be trick for listening to knock. I bought it thinking I would never use it. Also, with so many sensors, I could potentially isolate which cylinder has the most problem with knock? Dunno, but I am glad I spent the $5.

-Les
    Of course you can use that, that's in one of Brian's links.

Oh, didn't see it.

-Les

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I agree with Simon about being careful. But then again I was running 18 + degrees of advance with a FWD stage 5 cal for my g-headed 2.5 and it still was a dog. That was my first and last cal I bought. After working with Rob's base cals and D-cal I will never go back. The CEL knock is a great thing.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast