Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: non td 4 cly muffler advice please

Hybrid booster

non td 4 cly muffler advice please

hi all, i have a 2.9L 4 cly and its far to quiet as is, does any one know of a muffler they would recomend that won't sound buzzy like a rice pipe, but have a bit of rumble or a melow tone both at idle and drive. idle is around 800 and it is a full 2.5 exhaust including cat. thanks.

turbo addict

Re: non td 4 cly muffler advice please

At least one reason that muffles rattle and buzz and sound like crap is because they put far too large of a diameter muffler on the car. The size matters at least as much as the type of muffler.

If you want good low sound you need a nice long stretch of resonator type of muffler (aka. glass pack). I don't know how much room you have, probably not much, so you may even consider two glass pack type mufflers in series.

As for brands, I personally like Cherry Bomb and Dynomax Ultra Flow. The Ultra Flows are kind of pricey. For a while they were running a $25 rebate, and that's when I picked up my latest Ultra Flow for a current project.

If you have a nice straight section under the center of your car you could install a Cherry Bomb (around 24" in length or so, don't skimp) and then a Ultra Flow near the outlet (all depending on the room you have). A setup like this will flow very well because there are no baffles or silly other things to get in the way of the flow. The fiberglass wrap inside of the Cherry Bomb and the Ultra Flow will cut down on the high frequency sounds (the buzzing). Additionally, both Cherry Bomb and Dynomax use generous amounts of high quality glass in their mufflers.

$0.02

turbo addict

i had a dynomax surper turbo on my omni it was deeper than a ricers i liked it

Hybrid booster

its on a 2009 gmc canoyn lots of room to spair its a regular cab and muffler will be right behind pass seat, pleanty of pipe after it as well

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    At least one reason that muffles rattle and buzz and sound like crap is because they put far too large of a diameter muffler on the car. The size matters at least as much as the type of muffler.

If you want good low sound you need a nice long stretch of resonator type of muffler (aka. glass pack). I don't know how much room you have, probably not much, so you may even consider two glass pack type mufflers in series.

As for brands, I personally like Cherry Bomb and Dynomax Ultra Flow. The Ultra Flows are kind of pricey. For a while they were running a $25 rebate, and that's when I picked up my latest Ultra Flow for a current project.

If you have a nice straight section under the center of your car you could install a Cherry Bomb (around 24" in length or so, don't skimp) and then a Ultra Flow near the outlet (all depending on the room you have). A setup like this will flow very well because there are no baffles or silly other things to get in the way of the flow. The fiberglass wrap inside of the Cherry Bomb and the Ultra Flow will cut down on the high frequency sounds (the buzzing). Additionally, both Cherry Bomb and Dynomax use generous amounts of high quality glass in their mufflers.

$0.02
    cherry bomb as in red glass pack or a normal looking muffler by cherry bomb?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Flowmaster SUV or 50 series, it will sound awesome and won't sound like crap. SUV is the quieter of the 2.

I have Flowmasters on all my n/a stuff, best sounding mufflers as far as I am concerned.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Flowmaster SUV or 50 series, it will sound awesome and won't sound like crap. SUV is the quieter of the 2.

I have Flowmasters on all my n/a stuff, best sounding mufflers as far as I am concerned.
    price range?

Quote Originally Posted by turzbo View Post
    price range?
    Go to Jegs, Summit, your local hipo shops.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

thanks simon

turbo addict

I've had Flow Master and I think they sound terrible. They are also terrible for flow. Around 15% less flow than a glass pack (at least that's what a friend of mine found when he did his senior year project in mechanical engineering).

As for the Cherry Bomb, yes, I use the red ones. I sand the outside down a bit then hit them with some black paint.

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    I've had Flow Master and I think they sound terrible. They are also terrible for flow. Around 15% less flow than a glass pack (at least that's what a friend of mine found when he did his senior year project in mechanical engineering).

As for the Cherry Bomb, yes, I use the red ones. I sand the outside down a bit then hit them with some black paint.
    That's why there a 100's of choices, we each like different sounds.

Nope, they don't restrict flow by 15%, they don't work like regular mufflers.

All mufflers were tested a few years ago and all were in within 5% of each other. These days, you pick one over sound as power wise, you won't find much difference.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That's why there a 100's of choices, we each like different sounds.

Nope, they don't restrict flow by 15%, they don't work like regular mufflers.

All mufflers were tested a few years ago and all were in within 5% of each other. These days, you pick one over sound as power wise, you won't find much difference.
    Very true. And likely more opinions than mufflers out there. That's partly why I said the pipe/muffler diameter has as much influence on sound as does the muffler. If you are already using 2.5" you don't want to go any larger than a 2.5" diameter muffler. On a 4 cylinder w/o forced induction 2.5" might even be little big. If you use something like a Cherry Bomb under the cab/bed you might even want to go down to 2.25" or 2."

I should clarify, the testing was done on a dyno, all back to back. I'll try to dig up the link, it was pretty neat, they must have spent days on there,

turbo addict

My friend's testing was done on a flow bench. Once again, flow bench to dyno to real world .... when will the madness stop?

Anyway, as for some personal experience with more muffler than flow (i.e. too large of a muffler) I had a 2004 3.8L SS Monte Carlo. The cat clogged up and I had the cat and everything behind it replaced. IIRC it was a 2.5" system. There was a factor resonator behind the cat. The exhaust split at the back and went out as duals. I had the resonator removed and all 2.5" pipe installed with a 2.5" Ultra Flow before each tip. It sounded like crap at idle. It sounded like there wasn't even a muffler in the system. There was so little flow the mufflers couldn't even do their job. The car actually got quieter as you revved up the engine! I did add a resonator back in behind the cat but it was still just not enough flow through the Ultra Flows for them to do their job. I would have been much better off going with dual 2" mufflers rather than the 2.5" ones.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

totally agree about the glasspacks.

Lately ive been using one thats 2.5", about 28" long, and Advanced auto keeps em in stock at like $22 a piece! They're Thrush.

I've got a straight through 3" dynomax on my 3.3 dynasty. It made a HUUUUUUUUUGE reduction in noise. I had it off recently and put a 3" glasspack that was slightly longer on there (slip joint) and started and revved just to compare.. The dynomax made a MUCH bigger difference.

Also, ive been running the glasspacks in the center of the car, not at the very end of the exhaust system.

Anywho, running a glasspack in the middle and a dynomax at the end is a sure-fire way to get good sound with a straight-through exhaust, imo.

Also, i had dual flowmaster 40s (true duals) on my old 3.5 intrepid. ~2" pipe on each side.. I thought they sounded fairly good, but if i had bought them myself instead of using what i already had, i would definitely get delta flow over originals. They also resonated like a MOFO even with tips extending out past the bumper.

Id definitely use flowmaster again, but id use ones for a diesel, an suv one, or a delta flow 50 as a last resort. I dont think id go back to 40s on anything but a big v8.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

FYI turzbo, that Canyon has a 5-cyl, not a 4-cyl

turbo addict

Wrong Rob...3.5 is a 5cyl...2.9 is 4cyl.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

^ and i think its 3.7 nowadays.

Hybrid booster

2.9 4cyl, 3.5 5cyl, and now a 5.3 vortec v8

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I vote for leaving the factory exhaust on. Honestly, no matter how you slice it, N/A 4 bangers do not make pleasant sounds.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast