Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I bumped the timing.....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: So I bumped the timing.....

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    I agree with Simon about being careful. But then again I was running 18 + degrees of advance with a FWD stage 5 cal for my g-headed 2.5 and it still was a dog. That was my first and last cal I bought. After working with Rob's base cals and D-cal I will never go back. The CEL knock is a great thing.
    I am running probably more than that on my TIII. For some reason, it LOVES it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I am running probably more than that on my TIII. For some reason, it LOVES it,
    in vac, yes.... in boost, no....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

care to explain brian?
    i hear too much spark advance (in boost, supposedly?) will hurt turbo spoolup, right?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i was only commenting on simons van. it likes more timing out of boost. makes the van more responsive and smooth on the street. he still needs to take some timing out of the ecu in high boost levels.

too much advance in boost causes detonation and breaks stuff. it shouldnt affect spoolup once slightly into boost that much.

as far as timing advance killing spoolup in vacuum.... if the engine is more responsive out of boost, spoolup is going to be decent.

now, pulling LOTS of timing and dumping in extra fuel really decreases spoolup time cause there is gas igniting in the turbine housing.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

ah sounds well understandable. thanks for clearing things up. i didn't think the 'too much timing under boost' was due to stuff breakage also, as far as the 'anti-lag' raw fuel dump into the turbo goes, i guess that's not what most of us would use on a street driver

sounds like one could tune the timing in vac right away based on the resulting responsiveness then.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

it's not uncommon to have very low (even negative) timing somewere in the ignition map, to help spool the turbo.
    ford cosworth have a dip in their timing map somewhere in the 2500rpm range...it drops to -3° and rises with the next RPM break point again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    now, pulling LOTS of timing and dumping in extra fuel really decreases spoolup time cause there is gas igniting in the turbine housing.

Brian
    I thought this was how a two-step with retard helped spool up on the line. Of course, I am talking about 8* or a little less retard (roughtly 4* BTDC) with the two-step to get the turbo to spool, not 1*-2* ATDC. This would leave the fuel to ignite while the exhaust valve was still open (hence, the loud pops from the exhaust). This is what I was doing on the Pinto to get it to spool. Once I let off of the momentary button (hooked to the clutch pedal) that energized the 2-step and retard, the thing was already at 8-10 psi. and lanuched.

Also, I thought that was what I was seeing when I saw the rally cars shooting flames; they wanted to retard the timing to get the turbo re-spooled quickly after being out of throttle momentarily............don't know why I thought that..............

Am I way off here?

-Les

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    in vac, yes.... in boost, no....

Brian
    On mine this was a fwd cal so I couldnt tweak the advance other than advancing the timing in the distributor so I had my distributor at 18+ degrees so I had 6 degrees more even under boost.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12