Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

Battery Relocation

Planning on doing this, for the first time!

Where did you put yours? Any advise?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Battery Relocation

I relocated the stock battery on my Omni GLH a few years ago. Put it on the passenger side above where the charcoal canister used to be.

.....I hate to tell you this but there is a thread over on turbododge.com about it. Maybe I should repost it here sometime. All the pics are still on my server so they should still show up if you find the thread. Last I checked I was still banned.

Please!

Anyone have it located inside of the fender by any chance?
    Last edited by moparfwdsleeper; 09-01-2009 at 01:42 AM.

turbo addict

i was going to mount mine under the stock location, in an l-body. im also going to use a much smaller sealed battery called an odessy, we use them in offroad cars all the time. theyre half size of regular l-body battery, still have 550 cca and can be mounted any direction. im going to mount mine like the stratus do with some straps and a plate. i dont want to loose the wieght up front, and i want to keep it low. havent done it yet, but it should be soon.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    Please!

My wifes 97 Stratus has the battery in the drivers fender well from the factory. lol PITA to get to. But it's only got 22,000 miles on it.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

I'm going to put it in the trunk. I want it hidden and that is my best route IMO.

Now to figure out how to do this without causing a potential fire hazard lol

Please!

My plan is to do a dry cell battery and relocate under the driver side fender. No plans in the works to get it done, but that is my goal. The dry cells are smaller and a weight a little less. The advantage, of course, is the ability to keep most of what you have up front without having to special do wiring. Although, with your project it may not be that critical with the extensive relocation you've done. If I get started in the next six months, I'll definitely be posting info.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

get a AGM or Gel Cell battery, expect to pay around $130

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Haven't done it, just thinking, instead of moving the battery to the rear and having to buy heavy gauge wire for the starter, just move the charcoal canister to the rear - near the wheel well with its vaccum line running forward and put the battery where the canister was. Or put it forward of the passenger side wheel in the fender? Depends on size of the battery, obviously.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    I think I'm going to try a series of 9 volt batteries and see how well that works, rechargeable of course.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Trunk is to keep not only the battery hidden but also the wiring(see sig for details). Trunk also allows for easy access in the event i need a jump lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    I think I'm going to try a series of 9 volt batteries and see how well that works, rechargeable of course.

Trunk is to keep not only the battery hidden but also the wiring(see sig for details). Trunk also allows for easy access in the event i need a jump lol.
    Loving the signature picture, btw. Now I just need to do mine.

Thanks! I agree, I'd love to see how much of a difference it makes in an L-body.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I relocated the battery in my 91 shadow convertible to the trunk. It cleans up the engine compartment and more room so it is easier to work. I bought a kit from Summit for about $60. I ran the wire through the firewall and next to the factory wiring on the floor and to the trunk. I grounded the batter in the trunk to the body and connected the + wire using a heavy duty connector with an allen which will tighten the 2 wires together.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Thanks for the information Justin

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

mines under the original battery location basicaly behind the bumper. I'm not sure exactly how Carl put it there, but if you go to turbodiy.com and click on the Charger, at the bottom is some pics of the alchohol injection tank....you can't really see it but its under it....slick set up. Part of my upgrade is going to put my front nose on by dzus fastners for easy access of the battery, intercooler and fans...another idea I got from Carl...

Garrett booster

I relocated mine to the trunk, I used 4ga. wire and ran it through the firewall along the floor with the factory wiring. I ran the ground just from the body of the car in the hatch. I bought a metal battery tray and bolted that to the car in the back. It looks clean and was easy and as moparfwdsleeper said, if you need a jump it's very accessible

boostaholic

go to walmart and get a boat battery box?.... and to a speaker store for the fat wire?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    go to walmart and get a boat battery box?.... and to a speaker store for the fat wire?
    for sure that would work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast