Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much oil pressure?

How much is too much oil pressure?

Two days ago, I changed the oil in the mini. I had conventional 10W-30 in the crankcase and I was using a Napa Gold filter. I had noticed that the oil pressure (with the 10W-30) would be really low when hot at a red light; about 5-6 psi. The reading was from an Autometer guage (electrical sender) and the red oil light on the dash never came on. I know that 5-6 psi is not that bad, but I decided to change to a 10W-40 when I changed the oil this time. So I used the conventional 10W-40 and substituted a pint of oil for a pint of Lucas oil stabilizer (half the container).
    When cold, the oil pressure comes to about 60 psi. When it warms, the pressure drops to about 25-28 psi. My concern is that when I am cruising or on the highway, the pressure just exceeds the 75 psi mark. Is this bad for any of my engine components? What about my turbo? I was told not to run a restrictor in the turbo feed line, so I haven't used one.
    Should I go back to the 10W-30 and still used the Lucas, or is my high oil pressure okay?

-Les

turbo addict

Re: How much is too much oil pressure?

why did you add lucas to the 10-40? That sorta makes comparisons impossible. Just try 10-40 first.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I have 75 psi on mine and had no turbo issues before, I'd say your just fine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    why did you add lucas to the 10-40? That sorta makes comparisons impossible. Just try 10-40 first.
    I think you are right about that. I added the Lucas because I thought it would help keep excessive wear at a minimum due to the many cold start-ups it does. I used some Lucas for lubrication during my cam install (at the recommendation of Mike from FWD), and the engine seemed to quiet down a little afterwards. I figured since I wasn't hearing the noise (ticking, etc.) so much during the start-up that the Lucas helped. I can try the 10W-40 by itself and see how it does.

-Les

boostaholic

Whens the last time you checked your bearings in the bottem end?? This sounds like the exact issue i had before my rebuild...i would run lucus and 10w30 in my shelby....and got the pressure to be around 9-10 psi hot.when it was at 5-6 psi...i never saw any shavings or metal flakes in my oil on oil changes....i did a rebuild on her and found out my bearings were not in the best of shape with my thrust bearing having chucks of peices missing from it...needless to say...it needed bearings along with a crank... my pressure is now at 13 psi really hot.....pressure is goooood.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Whens the last time you checked your bearings in the bottem end?? This sounds like the exact issue i had before my rebuild...i would run lucus and 10w30 in my shelby....and got the pressure to be around 9-10 psi hot.when it was at 5-6 psi...i never saw any shavings or metal flakes in my oil on oil changes....i did a rebuild on her and found out my bearings were not in the best of shape with my thrust bearing having chucks of peices missing from it...needless to say...it needed bearings along with a crank... my pressure is now at 13 psi really hot.....pressure is goooood.

Tom
    Ha, mine's 25-30, hot at idle, nanananananaaaaanah,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

On my stock gauge, I run anywhere from mid to 40% of the gauge when driving. Idle it can get as low as the large indicator just before it gets to the low pressure area. Runs at just under the large indicator for the high pressure area for a few minutes after start.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Bearings are good; I just put this engine in. As a matter of fact, I bought it from Simon and I can tell you that EVERYTHING I checked once I got it was great.

-Les

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Bearings are good; I just put this engine in. As a matter of fact, I bought it from Simon and I can tell you that EVERYTHING I checked once I got it was great.

-Les

Thats ur problem right there!!

j/k...

turbo addict

Don't use Lucas, unless the engine is on its last leg.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Don't use Lucas, unless the engine is on its last leg.

Why is it a bad idea? The engine is healthy; I just thought the additive would help. Maybe it helped too much.

I think I am going to run straight 10W-40. I'll drain and refill this weekend and see what happens then.

Oh, and everything I have bought from Simon has been in excellent shape. It is nice to know that someone knows what wear to look for in the parts they sell.

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 09-01-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Thanks Les,

I wouldn't honestly worry about it, just leave the oil alone.

Alright, Simon. I need to concentrate on the cooling system anyways!

-Les

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Why is it a bad idea? The engine is healthy; I just thought the additive would help. Maybe it helped too much.

I think I am going to run straight 10W-40. I'll drain and refill this weekend and see what happens then.

Oh, and everything I have bought from Simon has been in excellent shape. It is nice to know that someone knows what wear to look for in the parts they sell.

-Les
    Helps by making your oil into foam like...?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Go for 15W-40 Rotella oil.

I am really against 15w40 in our engines unless you live in the desert, you are putting a lot of strain on the oil pump and int shaft gears, especially when cold.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Mine runs about 5psi at idle hot 30-40 driving. Sometimes the gauge drops at idle, but the light doesn't come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Mine runs about 5psi at idle hot 30-40 driving. Sometimes the gauge drops at idle, but the light doesn't come on.
    Is that using a real gauge? That's close to being bad,

Damn, good call! Look, I have a catch can that I am using for my crankcase ventilation. Now that I have enough matter in it to register on the sight glass, I can see that there is a milky, frothy substance under a watery, whisky-looking substance. I didn't notice the frothy stuff in there until I added the Lucas. It could be that the level wasn't high enough to register the froth, but it looks strangely similar to the froth in the "Lucas reservior" in the link you added.

BTW, I always run Rotella in my diesels; the best stuff out there that I have found (Delo-lovers, please don't flame me!), but I used to run 2300 Fords a lot and found that they like to twist oil pump drive shafts when cold.

I think I will stick to trying the straight, conventional 10W-40.

Thanks for the input, guys!

-Les

You will get the brown muck in your catch can, regardless of oil used.

Its easier for me to find 5w50/5w50 synthetic,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Test is flawed........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast