Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went back last night, only a 12.9@100 mph.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Unhappy Went back last night, only a 12.9@100 mph. Vids added.

Had been tuning my van all week, thought i had it but didnt' realize putting a ported cover on would change the tune in a big way. I basically put the cover on and drove to the track. 10 litres of gas in the tank, 94 octane, 2 gallons of C16 went in, 50/50 alky injection working.

It was busy, they maxed out, 225 cars, , stands were packed, missed my first call by mere minutes due to being stuck in tech.

Finally get the call, line up, running like crap, launch, CEL comes on, knock retard the whole run, 25 psi, 13.95@95,

Get back, play with the knock sensor thresholds, my pistons are setting it off, wait what seems like hours, get another crack, same outcome, knock retard and 13.95@95 again.

F*ck it, unplug it, wait for aprox 1.5 hours, go back out, launches like crap but AF ok up top, 25 psi, 11.3:1, 13.4@99 mph, finally, making progress.

Figured out I was now too rich as the turbo spooled and too lean up top so I put the map back to how it was before, leaned up around 3500 and richened it up big time at 5800 and up, also put the timing curves back to my 50 trim spec and took some out at 25+ psi.

Now is like 9:45, people are leaving in droves, get called, line up, comes out of the hole like a bat out of hell, 27/28 psi, 11.2:1 AF, perfect out of the hole, hits 2nd, POP, Boostgeek said flames came shooting out of the tailpipe, still pulling, halfway thru 2nd, it leans out, so I back off, hit 3rd, still backing off-RESULT, 12.9@100 mph.

So I add even more fuel up top, feeling I have mid 12's easily in the bag, get called up 20 minutes later, starts to f*cking rain,

So more learning tonight, the ported cover changed my AF and timing curves big time, it spools earlier, I would say aprox 500 rpm, as now I can build boost at 3000 rpm, I can easily do a burnout as before, the converter was too tight for the 3500+ spool.

Due to the amount of spectators this time, my van always had a crowd around it, gave out a few of my business card's, so maybe I'll get some business out of it, a few moms wanted one,

Oh and NO MORE SURGE!!!!!!!!!

13.9 vid, ran against a turbo Scirocco, he ran a 13.1

13.4 vid, not sure what I raced-

12.9 vid, not sure what I raced either-

Last edited by turbovanman²; 08-30-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Re: Went back last night, only a 12.9@100 mph.

very good runs simon! that definatly looks like a busy day. reminds me of last sunday when i went and i had about 1-2 hour delays. hopefully you get the tuning down and get a mid 12.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by bm_zimmer View Post
    very good runs simon! that definatly looks like a busy day. reminds me of last sunday when i went and i had about 1-2 hour delays. hopefully you get the tuning down and get a mid 12.

brian
    Thank's. Dude, it was insane, I've only seen it that busy once, that was a few years ago. People were stacking in the pits, it was nuts.

A big power turbo Regal broke an axle just before half track, he went sideways, saved it and just glanced the guard rail,

I think my runs went like this, time slips are at home- 6pm, 7:30, 9, 9:45 then rain,

I'll leave this cal alone and go back out in a few weeks, next one is Sept 11.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

it'll be 9/27 before the next test and une for me. i have some time to get tires lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bm_zimmer View Post
    it'll be 9/27 before the next test and une for me. i have some time to get tires lol.
    Get some, slicks rock, I could launch at 15+ psi and nail consistant 1.9's. Not great but not bad either,

turbo addict

What does "leans out" mean? How lean did it go? A piece of advice I learned a long time ago: back the boost off and maximize your timing and fuel until you can't go any faster before you try to extrapolate a higher boost tune.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    What does "leans out" mean? How lean did it go? A piece of advice I learned a long time ago: back the boost off and maximize your timing and fuel until you can't go any faster before you try to extrapolate a higher boost tune.
    It says in my post how lean I went.

I didn't really touch my boost as I kept leaning out, never really got anytime to do anything,

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Nice to hear you solved one of your problems and you are still at it. Get that tune figured out and lets see what she can really do.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Nice to hear you solved one of your problems and you are still at it. Get that tune figured out and lets see what she can really do.
    Thanks, its a blast when she works, lol. I have to run low 12's this year, boom or bust,

I had my laptop on the seat changing my cal and a few people are like, WTF is he doing? Then bakes, our local spokesman goes into full gibberish and explains it,

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Thanks, its a blast when she works, lol. I have to run low 12's this year, boom or bust,

I had my laptop on the seat changing my cal and a few people are like, WTF is he doing? Then bakes, our local spokesman goes into full gibberish and explains it,
    ya drinking 3 full throttles in 15 mins will do that to me!!

turbo addict

It says in my post how lean I went.

I didn't really touch my boost as I kept leaning out, never really got anytime to do anything,
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere in your post where you said how lean it went.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Now is like 9:45, people are leaving in droves, get called, line up, comes out of the hole like a bat out of hell, 27/28 psi, 11.2:1 AF, perfect out of the hole, hits 2nd, POP, Boostgeek said flames came shooting out of the tailpipe, still pulling, halfway thru 2nd, it leans out, so I back off, hit 3rd, still backing off-RESULT, 12.9@100 mph

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere in your post where you said how lean it went.
    Sorry thought I had written it down, It was 11.3ish then went up to 12.5ish around 5500 rpm and up. At first, it was going 10.5:1 then leaning out, so I leaned it out at 4-4500 rpm and that fixed that part, then the engine is now taking all the boost and leaned out on top, roughtly 5500 and up. I had it fattened up nicely for the last run but mother nature put an end to that.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Sweet so the surge is fixed!! Rock on! Its only a matter of time and tuning until you finally get to see the benefit of the dang turbo upgrade lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Sweet so the surge is fixed!! Rock on! Its only a matter of time and tuning until you finally get to see the benefit of the dang turbo upgrade lol.
    I still can't believe how hard it came out of the hole, damn near yanked the steering wheel out of my hands,

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Had been tuning my van all week, thought i had it but didnt' realize putting a ported cover on would change the tune in a big way. I basically put the cover on and drove to the track. 10 litres of gas in the tank, 94 octane, 2 gallons of C16 went in, 50/50 alky injection working.

It was busy, they maxed out, 225 cars, , stands were packed, missed my first call by mere minutes due to being stuck in tech.

Finally get the call, line up, running like crap, launch, CEL comes on, knock retard the whole run, 25 psi, 13.95@95,

Get back, play with the knock sensor thresholds, my pistons are setting it off, wait what seems like hours, get another crack, same outcome, knock retard and 13.95@95 again.

F*ck it, unplug it, wait for aprox 1.5 hours, go back out, launches like crap but AF ok up top, 25 psi, 11.3:1, 13.4@99 mph, finally, making progress.

Figured out I was now too rich as the turbo spooled and too lean up top so I put the map back to how it was before, leaned up around 3500 and richened it up big time at 5800 and up, also put the timing curves back to my 50 trim spec and took some out at 25+ psi.

Now is like 9:45, people are leaving in droves, get called, line up, comes out of the hole like a bat out of hell, 27/28 psi, 11.2:1 AF, perfect out of the hole, hits 2nd, POP, Boostgeek said flames came shooting out of the tailpipe, still pulling, halfway thru 2nd, it leans out, so I back off, hit 3rd, still backing off-RESULT, 12.9@100 mph.

So I add even more fuel up top, feeling I have mid 12's easily in the bag, get called up 20 minutes later, starts to f*cking rain,

So more learning tonight, the ported cover changed my AF and timing curves big time, it spools earlier, I would say aprox 500 rpm, as now I can build boost at 3000 rpm, I can easily do a burnout as before, the converter was too tight for the 3500+ spool.

Due to the amount of spectators this time, my van always had a crowd around it, gave out a few of my business card's, so maybe I'll get some business out of it, a few moms wanted one,

Oh and NO MORE SURGE!!!!!!!!!
    I am getting a feeling of déjà vu all over again... Simon going nuts and no patience to take the time to figure out the root of any problems or weird behavior... recipe for disaster.

Just watch it please and do take the time next time!!! We are sick of see you destroy stuff as much as you are!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I am getting a feeling of déjà vu all over again... Simon going nuts and no patience to take the time to figure out the root of any problems or weird behavior... recipe for disaster.

Just watch it please and do take the time next time!!! We are sick of see you destroy stuff as much as you are!
    Deja vu? I am taking it slow, I had no time this time due to mass turnout,

The old me would have kept my foot in it even though I was lean, this time, I backed out, lol.

I want to go faster, I have 6 more Street Legals to go, weather permitting, fingers crossed.

turbo addict

I found an SRT motor can live at 15:1 a/f at 10#...lol! doh!

I found an SRT motor can live at 15:1 a/f at 10#...lol! doh!
    DOH!!!!!!!!! lol,

If I'd kept my foot in it, I guarantee I would have popped my headgasket,

turbo addict

if you had an 8v you would have a toasted HG already...

if you had an 8v you would have a toasted HG already...
    Really, why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast