Thread: My 86 GLHT

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

My 86 GLHT

The days have finally arrived that I have the time, money, and inclination to work on my Omni again.

For background, the engine was completely redone professionally in 1998. A ton of money in parts and coatings went into the motor only to have it leaking coolant from the headgasket when fired the first time in mid 1999.

Not only leaking, but coolant into the cylinders also, so a cloud of white smoke followed the car where ever it went. I was so depressed that I parked the car and let it sit for a few years. I never even tore into it to see why. That, I now view as my biggest mistake and it will cause me much more work than had I worked on it immediately.

Even though I had the build sheets from the motor, and all torque specs were met, I didn't know then that ARP studs should be torqued more than their recommended spec. And mine should have been even tighter as it is an O-ringed block. They were all torqued to about 72 lbs. I learned a couple years later they should have been torqued to about 90 lbs to get the O-rings seated properly into the flame ring on the gasket. And yes we did use the proper '008' gasket from MP for O-rings and crossdrilled.

So during the last couple weeks I started getting ready to remove the engine from the car. I pulled the valve cover first to see what shape the upper end is in. I was very surprised to find water droplets on all surfaces under the valve cover. Cam, followers, head, springs, and even the splash shield over the first two valves had water droplets (condensation) covering every surface.

But what was more amazing was that there was no rust or corrosion anywhere. It looked like brand new, just wet. I rubbed the top of one of the cam lobes that was sticking up and the water pushed off easily revealing a nice film of lubricant covering the surface. In case anyone is interested, Amsoil 10W40 is what was used in the motor.

A friend lent me a borescope so I could look to see how bad the cylinders are rusted. I don't think I've gotten so lucky there though. I have a fresh engine on a stand (the replacement). I looked in there to see how shiny cylinders are supposed to look. They are very nice. Then I pulled the plugs on the Omni.

The first two were dry, and black looking like a rich condition. Plugs in 3 & 4 were wet though. A water droplet between the center electrode and the ground electrode. And the edge of the plug that protrudes into the combustion chamber was rusted on both of them.

I could only make out the cylinder wall in #1, I could see where the piston rings had been seating into the cyl wall and some honing marks also, but overall the cyl wall looked "dirty". There is no reflection from any surface in any of the other cylinders so I guess they are fairly rusted. The dish on piston #3 is filled with water.

I've got the car up on jackstands and am going to drain the oil and water that is in the oil pan. Once that water (and oil) is drained out I am going to squirt some oil into the cylinders and manually turn over the engine a couple turns. Then I'll check the cylinders with the borescope again. This is just for grins, I am nearly certain the engine on the stand is going into the Omni, but I have nothing to lose by trying to see if minor surface rust can be cleaned up enough to not need an engine change. Also, even thought the upper part of the head was protected by an oil film, I imagine that the valves and valve seats are fairly rusted.

Besides the engine, the brakes need to be done all around. It is the original fluid in them and the pedal goes to the floor. I have the SLH package to put on the front and braided stainless lines to replace all the rubber lines, and also a rebuilt master cylinder from a Daytona. I also have new backing plates with brake cylinders for the rear brakes.

My goal is to have the car drivable by mid October. This sounds like an easy thing, but I am nearly 61 and I don't move as fast as I used to. And it has been 12 years since I did any serious wrenching on this car at all.

More to follow, film at 11 ...

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Re: My 86 GLHT

Great to hear and it was nice to hear the story in person. Is this the red omni?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool deal, cant wait to see it out!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

glad to read your getting the old omni running again Barry, i'm looking forward to seeing it at SDAC 20.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Neat background. If the car is the red one in the signature, then you HAVE to post up some pics and keep us updated! Good luck!

Hybrid booster

I remember goggling over this car back in 98 when it was being built.
    It was one of the sweetest motors being put together at the time. Glad to hear you are trying to bring it back to life.
    What are your goals with it Barry?
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Sounds neat Barry, I'm jealous!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Neat background. If the car is the red one in the signature, then you HAVE to post up some pics and keep us updated! Good luck!
    It is, and yes he does!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I'll be looking forward to following this thread Barry. Please post some pics! It will be a sight to see you with a wrench in your hand rather than a clipboard filled with a pile of papers! HAHA

Hybrid booster

Barry, I'm glad to hear you're getting into the mechanical hobby rather than strictly being an administrative authority. I'm looking forward to hearing more stories! Please keep the UP FRONTS coming! They're typically the highlights of my time spent on the toilet. ha! All joking aside, I truly enjoy them as I've told you before.

Subscribed!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Way to go,

Maybe put the build into your mag?

And I can't resist-

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info