Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flywheel re-surfacing for Kevlar clutch

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Flywheel re-surfacing for Kevlar clutch

Looks great. Still haven't found a place to do mine yet. Kinda got distracted by work
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Just picked up my flywheel from the machine shop-the only one in town that has a flywheel 'machine' (most are still cutting them on a brake lathe type machine-not so good for flatness!) Since this thread was going I asked him about the RA finish. Seeing as how I had to explain it to him what an RA is and that certain clutch manufacturers had an RA spec requirement, he was pretty much no help in determining what the RA of my finished flywheel was

No, I am not running Kevlar-been there done that. Kevlar has a much lower coefficient of friction than organic or sintered (it's 'slicker') so to make one work properly you need a boatload of clamping force. I am getting too old for DD type set ups. My experience with the duals is like ten years old so no doubt, technology has moved on. I think I read somewhere that spec has altered the pivot points on the diaphragms to increase clamping force rather than running a super heavy cover.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo
    I think I read somewhere that spec has altered the pivot points on the diaphragms to increase clamping force rather than running a super heavy cover.
    The pivot points are altered on all our High End clutches as well. This provides much higher clamping forces while retaining the stock pedal feel.

Here's some feedback from one of our customers:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4060

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to comment on whether you need a mirror finish on a kevlar flywheel. I got a kevlar clutch with pressure plate through turbosunleashed and I dont think the pressure plate is a mirror finish . Dont you just want to have the flywheel ground like the pressure plate? It is smooth but I dont think mine looks mirror smooth. There can be quite a difference between not catching your fingernail and mirror smooth.I had mine done at Scottsdale automotive machine, which Dave said they used a stone ground type method.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by packrat_turbo
    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to comment on whether you need a mirror finish on a kevlar flywheel. I got a kevlar clutch with pressure plate through turbosunleashed and I dont think the pressure plate is a mirror finish . Dont you just want to have the flywheel ground like the pressure plate? It is smooth but I dont think mine looks mirror smooth. There can be quite a difference between not catching your fingernail and mirror smooth.I had mine done at Scottsdale automotive machine, which Dave said they used a stone ground type method.

Tom
    Stone ground with a surface equivalent to the pressure plate surface is all that is required.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12