Thread: question on turbo bolts!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

question on turbo bolts!

so i just put my turbo back on the exhaust manifold. i've sort of tightened the bolts down. 1 was easy to get to with a ratchet, one was okay with a wrench. the other 2 are a real PITA.

does anyone have a method, tool, or suggestion on a good, easy way to tighten these bolts? on one, i can get a wrench in there but not really enough room to turn it. on the other, it looks like i will have to remove the coolant line from the turbo to get it. any help? all my current method is wrenches and curse words, and i'm not getting very far...

tia!
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: question on turbo bolts!

Snug them up evenly with the others a bit loose... run the difficult ones in first. Then when they are all seated. torque them down

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Snug them up evenly with the others a bit loose... run the difficult ones in first. Then when they are all seated. torque them down
    wait...what? are we talking the same bolts here - i'm talking about the ones that fasten the turbo to the exhaust manifold. if you are also talking about those, then how do i get at them? a socket for sure won't fit on 2 of the 4, and a wrench pretty much doesn't fit on 1... what do you do?

sorry, i should have also clarified, stock T03 turbo, stock manifold.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Ooops, I was thinking SV housing bolts, but really, same thing i said applies to the turbo to mani nuts.

Yes, two will require a combination wrench. What size hex are the nuts you are using? 17mm? or the smaller ones? The larger ones are a PITA cuz the wrench head is big on eth open end... need to use the box end.

Oh, and.... is the intake off the head? it really gets in the way, LOL!

EDIT: a crow foot helps on the one too.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

My suggestion is to build your own header so that you can do it without anything getting in the way!! lol

Get yourself a cheap 15mm wrench (or whatever size nuts you are tightening), put it in a vice and bend it until you can get around the obstructions. Keep it in a safe spot should you need to use it again in the future.

Good Luck!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I think 2 nuts you can get at with a flexible socket and inbetween socket, the other 2, you just need to use a wrench and take your time. I think I had to remove the coolant pipes and fittings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Ooops, I was thinking SV housing bolts, but really, same thing i said applies to the turbo to mani nuts.

Yes, two will require a combination wrench. What size hex are the nuts you are using? 17mm? or the smaller ones? The larger ones are a PITA cuz the wrench head is big on eth open end... need to use the box end.

Oh, and.... is the intake off the head? it really gets in the way, LOL!

EDIT: a crow foot helps on the one too.
    yah, 3 of them are the 17mm variants. the other is the stock size because the 17mm nut wouldn't fit. not enough clearance lol. thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    My suggestion is to build your own header so that you can do it without anything getting in the way!! lol
    haha, well that might be ideal, but i'm not there yet. thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Get yourself a cheap 15mm wrench (or whatever size nuts you are tightening), put it in a vice and bend it until you can get around the obstructions. Keep it in a safe spot should you need to use it again in the future.

Good Luck!

Chris-TU
    good suggestion, i'll have to look into that. however, part of the problem is that the wrench part itself, like the tines on the open end, are too fat and hit stuff, not letting it turn. it's almost like i need a thin-headed 17mm wrench. but i will have to look into bending one. that's not a bad idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I think 2 nuts you can get at with a flexible socket and inbetween socket, the other 2, you just need to use a wrench and take your time. I think I had to remove the coolant pipes and fittings.
    it looks like i will be removing the coolant fittings to get at that one as well. i was able to get to the 2 "easy" ones
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Quote Originally Posted by mcglsr2 View Post
    good suggestion, i'll have to look into that. however, part of the problem is that the wrench part itself, like the tines on the open end, are too fat and hit stuff, not letting it turn. it's almost like i need a thin-headed 17mm wrench. but i will have to look into bending one. that's not a bad idea at all.
    You can grind the head down as well. That's why I suggested getting a wrench that was cheap

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

excellent idea
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Garrett booster

I normally use a regular 15mm combo wrench for the lower 2 then the top ones I use my impact gun with a extension and a 15mm.

A good SnapOn wrench fits on the boxed end. You should not install the lower cooland fitting until the nuts have been tightened as it gets in the way of the wrench.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

I use a strong 1/4 inch ratchet extension. Put the short socket on the nut first then connect the extension!

-Dan-