Thread: Broke Outer CV Joint Bearing Cage - Opinions?

boostaholic

Broke Outer CV Joint Bearing Cage - Opinions?

While at an auto-x event my outer driver's side CV joint exploded, sending the ball bearings flying out in front of the car. The shaft never came out of the cup, and none of the hard parts were broken, but the cage was in several pieces all over the track.

The car is an 87 CSX that runs 30-35psi with an OBX diff with auto-x slicks. The axle blew up while the car was sliding sideways with the front tires smoking in 2nd gear (no wheel hop).

Did the outer joint's bearing cage break due to engine alignment, or did I just kill the poor joint? I used to pull apart inner CV's with my old turbo van because the engine mounts weren't good and the van was lowered significantly. I've never heard of outer joints failing due to an engine not being centered. For reference, the axle was an Auto Zone reman axle. I replaced the axle with another reman unit, but this axle was actually turned down on a lathe so the axle diameter is SMALLER than stock. Now I'm worried the shaft is going to snap, leaving me with a broken transmission case!

What's the word on the 91+ axles? I've also heard stuff about the 300M axles. Let me know what is "drop in", as I'm going to be going back to good, used 89 Daytona Shelby axles until I find an upgrade.

-Clark

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Broke Outer CV Joint Bearing Cage - Opinions?

I'll talk to my CV rebuilder today.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Re: Broke Outer CV Joint Bearing Cage - Opinions?

Anyone? TTT!