Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1967 Dart 2.4

turbo addict

1967 Dart 2.4

It all started several years ago while ray (86Shelby) and I were at a car show. As we looked over a very nice 64 valiant we talked about how cool a T3 or 2.4 would look under the hood of one of them.

So, after talking it over with the war department, we decided that a 60s A body would be our next vehicle. As long as it apears mostly stock i can have my way with the drive train! So after searching craigslist, news paper, and ebay we found a 1967 dart on craigslist. It was at a body shop in a small town south of lincoln nebraska. So we loaded up the truck and trailer and started the trip down to inspect it.

We were told that the car had been disassembled some for restoration but didnt expect what we found. The car was sitting on a pallet in the loft of an out building. As we crawled all over the car we found only 2 small spots of rust on the rear wheel wells. Other wise the car is rust free! Score! As we waited for the forklift to come from the local lumber yard we settled on a good price, which included a brand new set of "a" body super stock springs!

After a very slow loading process we strapped the car to the trailer. With no suspension on the car it was just sitting on 2 wooden pallets. So after 2 broken straps, almost lossing the car off the trailer we made it home.

After several hours of work we got the body and interior some what reassembled

-jeff

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 1967 Dart 2.4

Excellent! Was talking Turbodave into a 2.4L in his Valiant but he has to many projects and it didnt make the cut

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Soo now that we have aquired the car, the drive train would have to be decided upon. We knew it would be a 2.4, but were unsure if we would go with a manual or auto trans. After lots of going back and fourth we decided to go auto. So after a few phone calls and emails to Anthony and Dean the adapter plate and converter were ordered.

As we waited for the converter and adapter to be made/shipped we collected other parts. First up was a complete running 2.4! Also scored a tuned MS-3 and wiring harness, a 904 and a 999 trans, and drum roll.............DANA 60 with 3.54 posi and 11 in drum brakes.

-jeff

turbo addict

So, now that the parts have been collected for the most part its time to start putting it together. The car is now a roller.

I have also found all the parts for converting the front end to big bolt pattern and disc brakes. In the next week i will work on stripping all the control arms of bushings and ball joints and sand blast everything for powder coating. This week i will go pick up an oven off of craigslist and a powder coating kit from harborfreight!

once the front end is put together with all new hardware i will turn the attention to the rear end. The dana 60 will be narrowed and the wheel wells moved into the frame. Also the super stock springs will be relocated to the frame as well.

-jeff

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Nice! Tell me more about this adapter plate..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

The adapter plate was made by anthony at Dynamic Racing Tranmission. He also made the 9.5 conv furnace brazed triple bearing pack chromemoly turbine & hub 4200 stall converter for me. The adapter mates a 2.4 to a small block transmission bell housing.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    nice!
    I like that idea alot!
    I almost bought a 67 4dr almost 10 years ago but found my 64 Nova 4dr 283 the same day. But i always remember that Dart and wish i had it. Also have the same project in mind at some point.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Thanks! The goal for the car is to run 10s, looks mostly stock, and get good MPG. The car will remain stock appearing. We are going with 15in steel wheels with dog dish hub caps, interior will remain white with a bench seat (gonna be hard to hide the cage well) I will remake the dash to accept all the gauges so there is no out of place gauges, Im going to go with light weight fiber glass bumpers, hood, and possibly fenders. (i dont think weight savings will be much with the fenders). The car doesnt have any power options and it will remain that way. Im hoping race weight will be under 3000 with driver when its all said and done. For the stock 2.4 i am hoping to make 350-400whp and run 11s.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Really that light? What did they weigh stock?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

You stole my next project idea. Have you figured out your manifolds yet? If not a 01-up 2.4 caravan intake will put the TB facing the front of the engine. If you want to go that route let me know I have one, and there are two more in the local yards at the moment.

turbo addict

I think i will be making custom manifolds. For the intake i will just go with the Dshape large plenum and for the exhaust it will be a custom equal length header. Im thinking of trying a twin scroll hx40 with 2 external gates. I MAY need you to get the alt bracket from one of the van depending on price though. I will let you know asap.

turbo addict

the darts depending on options weighed in at 2750-3000 lbs. You figure i will drop 200+lbs right off the front of the car going with the 4cyl. This car already has no p/s, a/c, or power brakes which would put it on the 2700 lb range from the factory. The disc brakes will lighten it up some also. Then another 75-100 lbs for bumpers, brackets, and hood. Then add 80lbs for a cage.

factory v8- 640lbs
    slant 6- 475lbs
    2.4-216lbs with no accessories, The only thing it will have is an alt.
    I imagine that a fully built manifolds and all 2.4 would weigh in at maybe 300-325? so weight savings from the engine alone will net anywhere from 175 to 350 depending on what it had from the factory. fiber glass bumpers weigh 3lbs each, the hood will weigh 27lbs. By my estimates i should beable to get the fully assembled car to 2750ish. I weigh 200 lbs. so that will put it under 3000.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

And... Subscribe.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Awesome project.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very cool project. I had planned on doing this with my 69 valiant and started collecting parts but plans have changed.

turbo addict

Your pics of bringing it home remind me of when I brought my '70 Bee home. Best of luck.

turbo addict

Thanks for the positive comments guys! keep me motivated! Id like to see it on the street next summer!

boostaholic

I highly recomend the laser cut frame connectors from US Car Tool. We put a set on my buddy's Dart and the first time we jacked the car up, it lifted 3 wheels off the ground and that was without the lower radiator support they sell now.

https://store.uscartool.com/67-75-Mo...tors_p_16.html

I would use them and hold off on the cage until the track mandates it.

Great project, I don't think anybody here hasn't daydreamed about doing something like that.

turbo addict

HAHA, funny you posted those. My old man and i were talking about frame connectors earlier this week. On my 64 polara we just used straight tubing and did not connect it to the floor. The car launches great! 1.59 STs! I dont like how it looks though. We were wondering if welding to the floor pan would be as strong as a square tubing connecting the front to back frame.
    In my mind it would almost be stronger as the entire floor pan is being used to keep the car straight. But at the same time it is using the floor and would that add more twist? ideas?

My idea, was to use square tubing to connect the front and rear frame. Then use another 14gauge steel plate on each side of the square tube to connect it to the floor so BOTH idea are put to work?

boostaholic

^ I'm sold on the laser cut stuff, it's more expensive but you get what you pay for. My buddies Dart could pull the front wheels and the bumper was parallel to the ground, no body twist. The lower radiator support wasn't available when we got the connectors, that would really solidify the front.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast