Thread: 87 CSX Autox = Fail

boostaholic

87 CSX Autox = Fail

So, yesterday was the first time I've ever autoxed my 87 CSX. The car has a little too much rear brake bias, and the rear end is a bit tight. The current suspension is using the stock springs with the 1.25" front sway bar and konis set nearly full stiff in the rear. I will post video later tonight, but all I have to say is I can't even begin to drive this car.

The car is making a LOT of power (35psi spike) on E85 and just burns the tires (slicks) whenever I use the gas pedal. The Stage 3 .63 A/R turbine driving the S50 TO4E compressor performed admirably. Unfortunately, the car also oversteers very, very badly and I was unable to make a good run before breaking the car. I ended up exploding the driver's outer CV joint while spinning the slicks in 2nd gear through a turn. Luckily nothing came apart, but the bearing cage broke into pieces and sent the bearings flying in front of the car.

So, with the car broken after 4 runs, I was able to get it back together, but not before the last fun run ended. I'm seriously considering a swap to the 11" brakes to help fix the brake bias issue before the next event this coming Saturday. I think all 87 CSX's have this crazy rear brake bias problem.

Check this thread in the next day or so, because the video really will be worth watching!

For a time reference, my best run (out of 3 on course) was a 57.2 with 1 cone (car was sliding all over the place). The FTD was a 49.2 (Z06 Vette on slicks). The slower stock class cars were in the 60's.

-Clark

boostaholic

Re: 87 CSX Autox = Fail

Here is some video from the event. The car has gobs of power, but the rear end just doesn't stay planted. The car really was VERY difficult to drive!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the club... both Russ and I have 360°ed our '87's on the highway

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

That looked like a blast...thanks for the video!!!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]