Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Plymouth Horizon GLH - Buildup

Hybrid booster

Re: 1987 Plymouth Horizon GLH - Buildup

Update: I've sliced and diced all the rusted sections out of the floor and will be fabricating patch panels from galvanized steel, which are to be welded in. After a few coats of Tremclad and asphalt undercoating, it shall be all set! Pics of prepped areas below:

Pics of the removed driver's side floor pan below:

Looks like swiss cheese! More to follow.

Cheers, TheCanadian

turbo addict

oh canada!

damn you damn your rust.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

Lmfao, very patriotic! I do enjoy living here, just the winter blows, and it's hell on cars!

After I'm done here, it should be able to survive a few more Winnipeg Winters.

Cheers, TheCanadian

Hybrid booster

Updates, updates, updates!

My floor is done and solid as ever! After I had cut out the rusted sections I made cardboard templates and transferred those templates to 16ga galvanized steel. I cutout the patch panels with a band saw and then with a brake, hammer and vice, bent them to the proper dimensions and voila. Perfectly fitting patch panels, as can be seen below.

As you can see, the material I'm using is nearly TWICE the thickness of the stock sheet metal and to boot, it's galvanized, so it shall never rust through again. Now I just have to worry about the areas around the patch panels, lol.

After some massaging, they fit right in and holes were drilled for plug welds to secure the panels to the frame rail that runs below the floor. After some tack welding and grinding, I sealed all the welds with epoxy seam sealer, similar to what the factory had used, to ensure that all the welds were water tight and no moisture could get in. Pics below:

Here's a shot of the undercarriage of my car with everything welded in and showing the condition of the floor, which aside from those floor pans, is solid!

Another shot of my car up on ramps at my dad's shop where it was all welded together.

Well after the epoxy had cured, I gave it a liberal coating of Tremclad to seal it all up and make it purty again!

The undercarriage got three coats of asphalt undercoating, and although I don't have a picture of it as it is now, it is better looking than it was new. At the moment, I'm in the process of reinstalling my carpet and interior, but that shall be completed soon, followed by having the seats steam-cleaned, as they're kinda dusty from 20 years of use. I'll post some pics of the completed interior soon.

Let me know what you guys think and stay posted!

Cheers, TheCanadian

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

man that looks awesome!

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the comments guys, stay posted and keep 'em coming!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Hybrid booster

Update: I took the Ho' to Gimli yesterday and made a few runs. I achieved my best time with the spare tire/jack removed and running the stock airbox, tube and K&N filter. Front tire PSI was at 25, rear at 35.

Time was as follows @ 11:59am, ambient temp was around 23*C (73*F)

Reaction Time - 0.8939 S
    60 ft - 2.6498 s
    330 ft - 7.8720 s
    1/8 ET - 12.0889 @ 57.99 MPH
    1000 ft ET - 15.7448 s
    1/4 ET - 18.8627 @ 71.42 MPH

I was certainly surprised, I never thought my stock carb'd 2.2 would be able to cover the 1/4 mile in under 19 seconds! I actually won one race too; it was against a 1991 Plymouth Colt He ran 19.4, I ran 19.0!!

Pics of my car at the event below. You can also see the new tires I grabbed off an 80's RX7; Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires, sized 205-60-13 They look soo mean and wide. I especially dig the raised white lettering.

Here you can see me trying to do a one-legged burn out

Here was out TD group: Wpg_Spirit_R/T and his Spirit, Me and the Ho, and his brother, kreel, and his Duster.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    The sway bar is off a Shelby Z Daytona that I found last summer in the local wrecking yard. Originally I had it Zinc plated because of a cheap deal I got, and installed it with some new rubber bushings. However, I was unaware of the modifications required and as such, it squeaked and make noise like hell.

I did it right this time, trimmed the ends down 3/4" and had it powder coated, along with the properly sized bushings from Johnny at PolyBushings.com. Now it's firm as hell, but doesn't make a sound when I go over bumps!
    What did you all have to do the make the shelby Z sway bar fit on your horizon. I just got one and was wondering what it would take to make it fit on my 84 omni.

Jason

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

What is Tremclad? Looks like RV roof coating.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    What is Tremclad? Looks like RV roof coating.
    Different name for Rustoleum.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 84omni View Post
    What did you all have to do the make the shelby Z sway bar fit on your horizon. I just got one and was wondering what it would take to make it fit on my 84 omni.

Jason
    If you compare it to the original you'll see that you need to cut 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off each end and it bolts right up.

Martin
    89 horizon 2.5 n/a block 12 lbs of boost
    14.1 @ 92

Hybrid booster

To answer the questions, lol Yes; Tremclad is basically Rustoleum, a rust inhibitor paint. It's fairly priced and has worked well for me. Nowhere near the prep time required as POR-15, just clean down to metal and apply. Works well enough for me. The RV coating stuff you're referring to is probably the epoxy seam sealer that I used around the welds and seams to make it water tight. Comes in a big tub, it's the consistency of sticky tar and dries to a flexible firm finish. Made by Permatex, I believe...

The Shelby Z sway bar has to be shortened some, by cutting approx 0.5" off each end of the bar. In my case, the bar does rub against the control arms when they reach their full travel, such as going over a large bump or when raising the car in the air. It doesn't bother me much, nothing a little grinding on the control arms won't fix.

Other than that it goes right in and is a HUGE improvement over the stock 7/8'' L-body sway bar and even the 1" or 1 1/16" GLH sway bar. Next upgrade is perhaps adding a rear sway bar, but I'll look into that as funds clear up.

Thanks for the interest, guys; keep it coming!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Hybrid booster

Nice work! Mad skills you have with the metal fab.

Garrett booster

The Shelby Z sway bar has to be shortened some, by cutting approx 0.5" off each end of the bar. In my case, the bar does rub against the control arms when they reach their full travel, such as going over a large bump or when raising the car in the air. It doesn't bother me much, nothing a little grinding on the control arms won't fix.

Other than that it goes right in and is a HUGE improvement over the stock 7/8'' L-body sway bar and even the 1" or 1 1/16" GLH sway bar. Next upgrade is perhaps adding a rear sway bar, but I'll look into that as funds clear up.

Thanks for the interest, guys; keep it coming!

Cheers, TheCanadian
    I guess I will order some new bushings and give it a shot.

Jason

Hybrid booster

Good stuff! You know where to go for bushings - Johnny at PolyBushings.com

Let us know how it goes! Maybe I'll see you out next summer at the Mopars in the Park show in MN. I travel down South to MN or ND for car shows now and then...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by neongary View Post
    Nice work! Mad skills you have with the metal fab.
    Thanks, bud! It's nothing special really, just used a vice and a hammer to bend most of the contours to shape and used a small sheet metal break to do the bigger ones. Welding was my biggest concern; my welds are ugly, but strong but I was worried about warping the floor so I tacked the pan in all the way around but then I wasn't quite sure if the welds were water tight or not. I found this seam sealing compound at the local paint supply store and figured it was similar to whatever Chrysler used from the factory.

I'm quite happy with the results and I must say, when I first tore up the carpet and saw that awful mess, I thought I might have to junk the chassis and body, as the rust looked so severe. Thankfully, she has persevered through it and I can focus on my Turbo engine rebuild!

I still have to do a few odds and ends on my car before then, oil change, put her winter shoes (tires) on and also change my rad motor mount, fix the sagging headliner and change my front / rear brakes. Stay tuned for those updates!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Garrett booster

Good stuff! You know where to go for bushings - Johnny at PolyBushings.com

Let us know how it goes! Maybe I'll see you out next summer at the Mopars in the Park show in MN. I travel down South to MN or ND for car shows now and then...
    I met you at mopars in the park this spring. I had my 4 door shadow ES vnt there and my brother had his Red GLH turbo. Hope to see you again there next year.

Jason

Hybrid booster

Ahhh durrr; I knew that! I shall most definitely be there next year and this time with my own car! Nice Shadow btw!

Cheers, Evan

Hybrid booster

Updates! Sadly, not much has happened in the past couple of months; school is busy as ever and I don't have a lot of time to tinker. Some improvements have been made however.

I upgraded the seats to ones from a Daytona Pacifica. I opted for a pair of blue cloth enthusiast power seats, which after some modification, due to the fact that the Daytona seats are wider and a tad bit longer, bolt right in place, using the stock Omni seat racks. After a brief wiring job, they have power and I have fully functional Enthusiast seats in a Horizon! The power wings both work and the air bladder for the thigh and lumbar support hold air! They offer considerably more side and thigh support than the stock L-body seats are really keep your butt in place when taking turns. To boot, I got the pair from a local wrecking yard for the low price of $30.00! Pics of them are below....

Second upgrade was to replace my torn, stained and sagging headliner with new grey cloth, purchased from StockInteriors.com. They offer a wide variety of factory match colors, with the proper foam backing. After scraping off the old foam and adhesive, I glued the new material on and after some careful coaxing, it looks good as new. I also took the liberty of adding some high density foil backed insulation above the headliner and also in the rear hatch area to help lessen noise and vibration. I'll add some pics of the insulation later.... New headliner can be seen below...

Last but not least, I finally dragged my turbo engine home and began disassembly of it. I cracked the head off it last night and began removing the intake and exhaust manifolds for paint, along with various other covers, brackets etc. Pics of turbo 2.2 below.

So far, I have a Garret T03 compressor off a T-III engine mated with a T-II exhaust housing for a T2/T3 hybrid turbo, along with a T2 intercooler/rad combo, Stage 2 calibration at 14psi, TBI roller cam, 52mm throttle body, ARP headstuds and other various odds and ends lined up in my parts pile, ready to be added to the engine once I get the various pieces back from paint and install new main and rod bearings, along with piston rings. Any feedback on the engine build?

Let me know what you guys think and as always, thanks for looking!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Hybrid booster

Updates! I finally pulled the pan and the rods/pistons. The bearings were in surprisingly good shape, with no wear through the babbitt coating. I couldn't get the crank out yet due to the pulley still being on, but hopefully today that shall come out and the block can be hot tanked! Oil pump was also removed, gonna clean it out with brake clean and also enlarge the pickup screen.

Cylinder bores were clean of any scratches or pitting, still have their cross-hatch pattern on them and the crank journals are smooth and clean. See pics below!

Transmission has been dropped off with Rob in Aubigny, to rebuild it and install the shift kit and other odds and ends.

Color of choice for the block is Hemi orange, with the pans and accessory brackets being coated gloss black and the intake/valve cover are done in silver vein. Any thoughts on color choice?

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast