Thread: Rich at 5-10psi and part throttle

turbo addict

Rich at 5-10psi and part throttle

My car is running super rich at part throttle and 5-10psi (10.0 AFR on a AEM WBO2). If I mash the throttle and jam the air in (15psi) I get much better AFRs (11.5).

Below 5 psi (0-5psi) it is lean (15-16).

In vacuum it is normal (14.7).

I also have knock on the top end. I get up to 14* of retard at full throttle, full boost (15psi) and winding it out (most of the time I get less than 14* of knock retard).

I used to run an MSD 6a but it $h!t the bed. I did not have 5-10psi boost issue with the 6a. I need to get it fixed and reinstalled.

Additionally, my fuel mileage has gone to hell and I can smell gas when I'm in the 5-10psi range.

Edit: Injectors are 804s. Cal is Stage III '86 cal from FWD Performance, new fuel pump, Acufab AFPR set to 42psi base.

turbo addict

Re: Rich at 5-10psi and part throttle

what'd you change other than the 6a? Did you bump or replace any vac lines? The AFR is different at WOT cause you're on a whole other curve.

I swear my first impression when I saw the title was Rich Bryant at 5-10psi and full throttle, like a video or something. LOL
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I did nothing other than replace the 6a. I have a Blaster 2 coil. I thought the MSD may have fried it so I threw my stock factory coil back in and it does the exact same thing.

Vac lines are all new and I have great idle vacuum (18-19 inHg).

I ran for over a year with the 6a and no problems like this until it died. I guess shorting out the case to the battery when I was installing it wasn't actually good for it after all.

While I do have some parts from Rich in my car, I do not have Rich in my car. Sorry, no video.

turbo addict

Nothing huh?

Hybrid booster

O2 sensor crap out?

turbo addict

Watching the O2 on a 4000e and it looks to be reading correctly. It knows it is really rich too (NGK/NTK sensor that is maybe 2 years old).

turbo addict

Would a cat that is starting to get clogged up do this?

turbo addict

Okay, I've now got my base pressure turned down to 40psi. In the 5-10 psi of boost at part throttle I am now running around 11.5 afr and the fuel smell is gone. The problem is that in the 0-5 range and transitioning around 5 psi it wants to go lean (17). When it goes this lean it sort of stalls out a bit.

I've talked to Cindy some about this since I am running her cal. A question that came out of our conversation was what kind of duty cycles I am seeing on the injectors during all of this. My 4000e doesn't give me duty cycle that I know of but I do get ms pulse width for the injectors. What kind of pulse width should I be seeing here at part throttle across the boost range.

If it helps, my max boost is 14.7 (or what ever it is limited to with the 2 bar map). It is hard to get more than 10psi of boost unless I take it to full throttle (or full throttle via TPS positions regardless of if I have it fully to the mat). When I am at full throttle my afr will start around 12 but goes to 11.5 or so and stays there nice and solid even with the lowered fuel pressure.

turbo addict

About 11ms in the lean region of 5-10 psi. Good? Bad? Thoughts? Help?

turbo addict

I know this is a difficult problem because it has been driving me nuts for a while. I still didn't expect crickets.

Could it act like this with a bad injector? Would would be a way to test that?

Or is everyone too busy flaming in the lounge?

turbo addict

Car seemed to learn that the fuel pressure was lower. Now it is back to running rich rich rich at 5-10psi. Cranked the fuel pressure down to 36 psi and still pig rich.

turbo addict

Dying PM. Got a PM from a member here (thanks Jay!) and now I need to add some fuel back in.