View Poll Results: What cam, S2, S3 or stock 89 turbo?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taft S2

5 11.90%
  • Stock 89 turbo roller.

33 78.57%
  • Taft S3

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll time for cam choice!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Poll time for cam choice!

I have seen the dyno sheets on TD, know Gary has run 10's on the stock 89 turbo cam but still feel that the Taft cams are not bad. I am running an S1 and feel this is now my cork. I have access to an S2, S3 or should I put the stocker back in. I need to know by Wed or Thursday what you guys think as Friday is drag night again and I am getting closer to my goals.

Remember, this is my daily driver too and I don't want my crappy fuel economy to get any worse either,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Re: Poll time for cam choice!

Why don't you just try the stocker out and see what happens, better or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by 89DaytonaTII
    Why don't you just try the stocker out and see what happens, better or worse?
    That is an option but getting tired of wrenching on it, bike racing season is here and I need to devote my energy to that so I would like to swap out my cam once,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

I definitly understand that, but I still think that it'd be worth it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you have acess to all three, I would put the S2 in there and give it a go. If that does not pan out, try the S3.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    If you have acess to all three, I would put the S2 in there and give it a go. If that does not pan out, try the S3.
    I have access but need to buy them, lol! I would rather just buy the one I need,

I read that whole thread again over at TD and my head is spinning even faster now, doh!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    I have access but need to buy them, lol! I would rather just buy the one I need,

I read that whole thread again over at TD and my head is spinning even faster now, doh!

Sorry, I thought that you had all three of them lying around.

I have heard the idle of the S3, and for a daily, year round driver, I would go with the S2, or stock. Were you not running the stock cam when you were running low 14s back when?

i vote for the S2.

I have the S1 and just made 236hp and 272lbft on it w/ the stock IC in my shelby Z 2.2. I wanted the S2 for daily driving, but I'm waiting for the new line of cams FWD-P is about to come out with Cindy told me the S3 is not recommended for daily driving.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Simon, you need to start back at square one, and then go from there...as sucky as it sounds. I'd personally run the stock computer and stock injectors as well to rule out tuning. Also swap back in the stock cam.

Maybe we need a thread soley on to Simon's tuning problems??? Thread on square one.

Simon, I know you've listed it many times, but give me a rundown of your drivetrain (also, gives you a chance to show off your bench-racing skillz)

What kind of convertor are you running and how old/passes are on it? Gus always mentioned how power would go down over time with a ballooned convertor AND/OR tired fluid. His mph always went back up right after fluid changes. (I know you have fresh fluid...just pointing out things)

ps...how'd it go at the track friday? Didn't see a thread yet of your results...will look now
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection
    Simon, you need to start back at square one, and then go from there...as sucky as it sounds. I'd personally run the stock computer and stock injectors as well to rule out tuning. Also swap back in the stock cam.

Maybe we need a thread soley on to Simon's tuning problems??? Thread on square one.

Simon, I know you've listed it many times, but give me a rundown of your drivetrain (also, gives you a chance to show off your bench-racing skillz)

What kind of convertor are you running and how old/passes are on it? Gus always mentioned how power would go down over time with a ballooned convertor AND/OR tired fluid. His mph always went back up right after fluid changes. (I know you have fresh fluid...just pointing out things)

ps...how'd it go at the track friday? Didn't see a thread yet of your results...will look now
    Steve, here's the link-it was my cal after all

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4109

Trans is fresh, with new fluid, converter is a custom high stall-4000 rpm from TCS here in Langley-bought it in 03 so its got 2 years of DDing on it plus around 20 runs on it.

Set up is as follows-

Engine-2.5L bored .020 with JE forged and TS rings, no BS's, balanced and custom windage tray by me.

Head and induction-Swirl with +1 mm stainless valves, PT lifters and 3.3L conical valve springs. Ported by me and finished by a well know head shop and flowed, I seem to remember +25% over stock! Heavily port matched 2 piece lower, upper left alone except for 52mm throttle body. Log header. S1 cam. Bell 725 cfm IC with 2.5 In lower pipes, 3 inch upper pipes-mandrel bent. Custom 3 inch air intake with a custom CAI box made by me, K@N cone filter.

Ignition-Aurora high output coil and module, Aurora wires, BR9ES plugs.

Turbo and Ex-Turbonetics 50trim TO4E, stage III wheel, .63 housing, FM DP, 2.5 inch DP for 3 inches then a full 3 inch mandrel system with a Magnaflow.

Fuel system-custom cal by Shel game, 3 bar, +40's, 255 fuel pump, modified MP tables apparently go to 30 psi.

Trans is modified, 5 clutch packs, high stall-4000 converter, usual goodies and now with an OBX LSD.

So theres my setup. I ran a best of 14.1@95 mph in 03 with same converter, no slicks, street tires, open diff, bone stock engine with mild port job by me, 3 inch ex, Super40 muffler with side pipe, stock cal with +20 injectors and 255 fuel pump, CAI and box, TIII turbo and at 23 ish psi, RX7 turbo II IC and plastic 2 inch IC piping.

So you can see, all that work and I am running the same 1/4 time but at a whopping 2 or so psi less, At least I know my cal was most of the problem for the last year.

Hybrid booster

I know this isn't a trans thread, but the stock converters take alot of punishment before they baloon. The thrust washers is what usually goes long before. The S2 installed at 109 to 110 deg should be good....... In my craziness I'd try all 4 and then heli-coil the towers from all the cam changes. (done this before!)

I have a high stall with torringtons and thicker housing.

The S2 cams rocks,

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry
    I know this isn't a trans thread, but the stock converters take alot of punishment before they baloon. The thrust washers is what usually goes long before. The S2 installed at 109 to 110 deg should be good....... In my craziness I'd try all 4 and then heli-coil the towers from all the cam changes. (done this before!)
    Yeah, I already had to helicoil the valve cover bolts, Well I guess when I get her running again, I'll try the stocker after I max out the S2.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 05-25-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Hybrid booster

I still wonder if the '89 turbo cam is still the best for 20+ lbs boost? Seems like the evidence goes that way. The problem is that each car is going to give different results........

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

LOL And then there's the occasional maniac that runs around trying them all and touting them all... No one we know though
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    LOL And then there's the occasional maniac that runs around trying them all and touting them all... No one we know though
    Ouch,

Hey, at least I am not biased, I post my results, hehehe! So far I have found the S1 as a good street cam, so far, the S2 is looking good. Next is the stocker. Good thing is, my setup doesn't change, just the cam so it really is true back to back.

Yep, TJ, every car/van is different,

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hey, go for it! You're saving me a lot of cam swapping and dialing in. I have tried the '89 turbo, '88 turbo, and S-1 so far. I'm not using high boost yet and so far I like the S-1.

Quote Originally Posted by John B
    Hey, go for it! You're saving me a lot of cam swapping and dialing in. I have tried the '89 turbo, '88 turbo, and S-1 so far. I'm not using high boost yet and so far I like the S-1.
    Hahahaa, donations????????

The S-1 is good but high boost it sucks. You've seen how time I dropped with just a cam swap,

Hybrid booster

Simon,

Have you thought about trying the new FWDP cams they're offering? Nice to have options....

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116339

You have a short memory my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast