Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally went to the track!

Finally went to the track!

I didn't do that well, I broke it, and I have never been happier! Thursday night, I went to the local 1/8th-miler in Eatonton, GA. I chose to run the first run with the street tires. I didn't do a burnout, just kinda cleaned them off and staged up against a dude with a S-10/350/350turbo. They gave me a Pro Tree, so my reaction time sucked. I was running 18 psi with 12* of base timing. I had the methanol injection coming on at 9 psi and ramping on fully at 23 psi (so it never goes full-flow). AFR's stayed in the 10.4-10.8 range the entire run. It was kinda hard to decipher that from the log, though, because I had to get out of it 3 times before it quit spinning. It spun all the way through 1st, spun badly in 2nd (I got out of it again, it shifted to 3rd so when I got into it again it had to downshift and went back to spinning). But when it hooked up it went like a raped ape! I caught him on the big end. When we grabbed our tapes the guy was like,"Where did you come from?"
    The second pass I went with slicks. I broke an axle coming out of the waterbox. I think the axle was weak anyway. But it smacked the side of the case (right above the side plate? WTF?). Anyway, it dented the case and ripped the thin metal side cover, but I am only getting a little bit of a leak there. I am planning on running out to PullAPart in Lithonia later to grab a good side cover. Maybe it will reseal with an un-ripped piece of metal long enough for me to build a trans. I already have a Kil-time RMVB with trans. brake here. With a good converter and LSD it ought to be a hoot!
    I just tried to take a pic of the timeslip, but I can't get a clear one, but here is the info:

RT 0.874
    60' 2.536
    MPH 76.02
    ET 10.219

What do you think? If the break had happened 30 minutes sooner, I could have gotten to the parts store in Eatonton and bought an axle and kept running! Dang it!

-Les

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Re: Finally went to the track!

I have run 9.0's at 78mph with a mitsu turbo and 15psi in a Daytona
    2022 Viper runs 9s

I know it has a lot more in it. I think that if I had the slicks I could have done a 9.20-.30 or so with about the same MPH; maybe 1-2 more? What did your Daytona weigh, and did you have an LSD?

-Les

slicks stock weight 5 speed. are you really running 23psi?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

No, I was running 18 psi. I meant that the Snow's Boost Cooler that I have is a progressive one; I have it set to initiate with the lowest flow at 9 psi and ramp up to full flow at 23 psi, but since I am only running 18 psi it never sees all the water/methanol mix that the nozzle can flow. Obviously, it would go full flow if I went to 23 psi. I am still on stock pistons and a Mopar Performance HG. How much boost do you think it can take? I am not that worried about detonation at this point, although I might increase my timing to take full advantage of the methanol injection then raise the boost a little. I really love driving this thing, so I don't want to break it quite yet.

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 08-22-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: misspelled word

http://dodgez.com/movies/Kevins%20Boat.wmv auto new yorker, I forget what boost but should be around 15psi
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    I am still on stock pistons and a Mopar Performance HG. How much boost do you think it can take?
    oh yeah, stock pistons and a felpro hg

it isn't how much boost, it is how good your tune is. I had cracked 3-4 pistons before I got that tune right. Of course it could have been avoided if I wasn't being a dumb ---. LOL that dyno pull was around 26psi IIRC.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Awesome! I am not afraid to turn the boost up, I have the methanol injection, a large front-mount, head studs, and plenty of injector. Where was your timing for this pull? I love those cars! If it wasn't for having the DSM bug I would go buy one.

-Les

And yeah, you can look at my gallery to see my #4 piston out of the last engine. LOL!

-Les

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice job,

JB weld the cover for now,

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    I have run 9.0's at 78mph with a mitsu turbo and 15psi in a Daytona
    Its a van, can't compare times from a car, won't be even close.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Nice job,

JB weld the cover for now,

Its a van, can't compare times from a car, won't be even close.

how much does a van weight again?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    how much does a van weight again?
    I am thinking around 3300 with driver. With everything in the van and a 1/4 tank of gas the van weighed 3340 lbs. I weighed it at some truck stop Cat Scale on I-24. Since then I have taken out all the carpet (starting right behind the front seats), both rear seats, rear windshield wiper assy., A/C compressor and condensor (but it IS going back on!), the spare tire and jack, and some misc. small brackets and things from around the vehicle. I weigh 215 lbs. I know that the Daytonas can be a little weighty, so the comparison may not be that far off (weight bias, maybe?).

Thanks, Simon. I can't wait to take it back to the track!

-Les

Simon
    76mph wasn't that bad. I was thinking he was running 23psi at first, which 76mph would be bad.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

What kind of MPH increase should I realize if I raise the boost to 23?

-Les

what is the rest of your build?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Stock 2.5 short block
    Ported 782 head, had valves unshrouded as well, milled just enough to get it flat
    New standard valves
    New guides
    3-angle valve job
    MP head gasket
    ARP head studs
    FM 475 slider
    PT lifters
    MP 061 springs with new FM locks and retainers
    Using BR9EiX plugs set to .028
    New Mopar wires, cap, and rotor button
    MSD Blaster II coil
    Fidanza adjustable cam gear set at 4* advanced
    Ported 1-piece intake manifold
    52mm TB
    Ported stock exhaust manifold
    MP +40% injectors
    AFPR from FM
    Walbro 255 in-tank
    T3/T4 .40 trim compressor, .48 A/R turbine housing, Stage II turbine
    TU 3" SV
    Full 3" mandrel-bent exhaust with Bullet muffler and no cat
    Ebay FMIC
    TurboXS RFL BOV
    TurboXS MBC
    FWD Stage V cal.
    Snow's Progressive Boost Cooler
    Large aftermarket aluminum radiator with DeRale electric fan
    180* thermostat with 1/16" weep hole drilled at 12 o'clock (but always runs 195*-210*?)
    I am running through a 180,000-mile A413 that is starting to slip. The only thing I have done to the trans is a fresh filter and trans fluid change and added a HUGE trans cooler (oh, and a new driver's side axle )
    I am using a set of 26 x 9.0 slicks. I didn't make a pass on them yet as I broke.
    I am running 18 psi right now; thing pulls great but the trans is starting to give up. I am losing a lot through it, I think.
    I am running 12* of timing, although I may pull it up to 14* in a day or so to see if there is any change.
    My AFR's are running at about 10.5-10.8 at WOT, although the AFR's seem really lean until I get to about 7 psi, then they go to the rich side. On the transition from vac. to boost it goes REALLY lean; like 17.0 near the 3-4 psi range. I try to stay off out of this range, but I can't move my pressure up to eliminate it as the top is already rich. I will have to have the cal. changed.
    You can see my race weight. What do you think?

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 08-24-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: incomplete

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

My van weighed about 34-3500 lbs, maxed out TIII turbo on a 2.5 engine, mild porting, one piece intake, ran 14.1@95 mph cutting 2.1 60ft times.

Your turbo is probably a better unit of course so you should be able to dip into the 13's with some traction.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I am going to try the slicks again, but not do a burnout this time and see how bad it spins.

-Les

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Stock 2.5 short block
    Ported 782 head, had valves unshrouded as well, milled just enough to get it flat
    New standard valves
    New guides
    3-angle valve job
    MP head gasket
    ARP head studs
    FM 475 slider
    PT lifters
    MP 061 springs with new FM locks and retainers
    Using BR9EiX plugs set to .028
    New Mopar wires, cap, and rotor button
    MSD Blaster II coil
    Fidanza adjustable cam gear set at 4* advanced
    Ported 1-piece intake manifold
    52mm TB
    Ported stock exhaust manifold
    MP +40% injectors
    AFPR from FM
    Walbro 255 in-tank
    T3/T4 .40 trim compressor, .48 A/R turbine housing, Stage II turbine
    TU 3" SV
    Full 3" mandrel-bent exhaust with Bullet muffler and no cat
    Ebay FMIC
    TurboXS RFL BOV
    TurboXS MBC
    FWD Stage V cal.
    Snow's Progressive Boost Cooler
    Large aftermarket aluminum radiator with DeRale electric fan
    180* thermostat with 1/16" weep hole drilled at 12 o'clock (but always runs 195*-210*?)
    I am running through a 180,000-mile A413 that is starting to slip. The only thing I have done to the trans is a fresh filter and trans fluid change and added a HUGE trans cooler (oh, and a new driver's side axle )
    I am using a set of 26 x 9.0 slicks. I didn't make a pass on them yet as I broke.
    I am running 18 psi right now; thing pulls great but the trans is starting to give up. I am losing a lot through it, I think.
    I am running 12* of timing, although I may pull it up to 14* in a day or so to see if there is any change.
    My AFR's are running at about 10.5-10.8 at WOT, although the AFR's seem really lean until I get to about 7 psi, then they go to the rich side. On the transition from vac. to boost it goes REALLY lean; like 17.0 near the 3-4 psi range. I try to stay off out of this range, but I can't move my pressure up to eliminate it as the top is already rich. I will have to have the cal. changed.
    You can see my race weight. What do you think?

-Les
    can you data log your AF and send it in for a new tune?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Yes I can. I have a question: can the person writing the log see from only AFR (meaning: no RPM, no MAP, no TPS, no CTS) how to change the cal.? I can tell them where the AFR's change. I say this because I tried to hook up a trigger for the RPM on the logs, but the RPM was innacurate, so I felt having none at all was better.
    The thing is dead lean (14.7:1) until I hit 0 during the transition from vac. to boost. Then from 0 psi to 7 psi the AFR gets as low as 17:1 before it hits 8 psi and adds fuel. Once I hit 8 psi, the AFR's are lstill lean, but when I transition from 8 psi to the max pressure, the mix ultimately becomes as rich as 10.4:1 on its way to an 11.3:1 on the top end in third.

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 08-24-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wrong info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast