Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neon R/T Resurrection

Re: Neon R/T Resurrection

Craig

That's OK, after I get these two this week the set I have will be perfect. Thanks though.

And the tires on my car are winter tires and were bought just before the kid parked the car so I'm good on those too.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

how blown up is the old motor? im looking for a complete dohc 2.0L

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Craig

That's OK, after I get these two this week the set I have will be perfect. Thanks though.

And the tires on my car are winter tires and were bought just before the kid parked the car so I'm good on those too.
    Thats good you found two more,the ones I have are starting to peel.

Yesterday got the tranny pulled off of the motor so I can clean it up. Parts are on the way too!

Mopar Performance modular clutch
    Mopar Performance throwout bearing
    AF/X Solid Bobble Strut
    AF/X Solid Front Motor Mount
    Prothane Inserts for side mount and tranny mount
    COMPLX EGR Blockoff Plates
    Woot!

I ran to another jyard today and found a better looking white fender that I'm going to install this week at some point. Also grabbed a correct throttle cable. The one in this car, believe it or not, is four times longer than the stock one?! WTF!!!
    Last edited by DC Turismo; 08-25-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

billy, you didnt answer my question!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the pics Billy. That makes me want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    billy, you didnt answer my question!
    Sorry Bucar.... it's got scorched cylinder walls and who knows what else. To be honest, I'm just throwing it in my Daytona with some other junk when it goes to the scrapper next week. This one doesn't look that worth getting IMHO. I can keep an eye out for you if you'd like though.

No problem Cordes the Tortoise lol.... Like I mentioned earlier, I've always wanted one. Now that I finally own one, my collection of cars is nearly completed Just a COUPLE more to go now hahaha

Again though, sorry I didn't take more pics. I will once it's all done though I promise

Fairly slow last two days. Setting up my classroom and helping Rob get his truck polished up have taken time away from the progress on the Neon. I got my clutch, prothane mount inserts, solid front mount, and solid bobble strut all in today. I'm ready to clear the transmission after wire wheeling it all. I'm having the valve cover and intake mani. bead blasted this weekend so I can paint them come next week. I'm just waiting on the throwout bearing and to paint both the block, coolant line, and motor mounts in order to put the motor back together. I will probably wire wheel the ac compressor too just to clean it up. I figure this should be done by mid-September seeing that I am much busier than a couple weeks ago. I'll keep eveyrone posted!

One thing I am considering is going with an underdrive pulley? Any recommendations/ones for sale?

boostaholic

Yesterday got the tranny pulled off of the motor so I can clean it up. Parts are on the way too!

Mopar Performance modular clutch
    Mopar Performance throwout bearing
    AF/X Solid Bobble Strut
    AF/X Solid Front Motor Mount
    Prothane Inserts for side mount and tranny mount
    COMPLX EGR Blockoff Plates
    Woot!

I ran to another jyard today and found a better looking white fender that I'm going to install this week at some point. Also grabbed a correct throttle cable. The one in this car, believe it or not, is four times longer than the stock one?! WTF!!!
    The mopar clutch is the PT clutch.For some odd reason the cruise equipped cars had that rediculously long throttle cable.The throttle response is better with the shortie.

Yeah, I grabbed a shorty one from the JY so I'm good with that. Also Mr. Marra convinced me to get the MPX UDP so it's on the way now too. AAAAHHH A nice d.d. that will have some pick-up to it, woot! Throwout bearing arrived today. Plan is to have it in the car by the end of next week. We'll see how my work schedule at school allows for that sort of time in the evening though. Stay tuned

Just a FYI, You may wish to take back the mopar performance TOB you bought. They have a high tendency to squeel. The consensus over on neons.org was to go get a cheap one from autozone.

Plan is to have my motor in by the end of this week. I'm out of town today, but when I get back in tomorrow I gotta put some final touches on cleaning the block and tranny so I can paint them and then begin pieceing them back together with some of these new parts. Picking up all gaskets and what not that I need come Monday. Woot!

Found this cool clip on youtube:

boostaholic

Found this cool clip on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYJkfYxp7M
    Nice find!I have never seen.Of course I was floating around the Med when they announced the R/T's in 97-98.I first saw one in Car and Driver in the New for 98 issue.It was a Red Coupe with the Chrome R/T wheels.

Nice!

Today, got a lot accomplished. Brought my motor back to my house rather than at my garage so I could work on it without the hassle of having to drive to the location, then come all the way back if I forgot something.

Regardless, cleared the tranny, painted any accessory/mounts/brackets satin black. Inserted the red Polyurethane motor mount inserts into the tranny mount (thanks for the help Mr. Marra! lol... ) Painted my intake mani., removed the exhaustmani, wire wheeled the block, and compared some parts, most notable deciding I'm going to use the pass. side motor mount that is still attached in the car as it looks brand new (compared that because I wanted to install the polyurethane mount insert but I'll have to wait til I pull the motor).

Plan to pull the motor Tuesday and should have the car running by Saturday (registered, plated, insured, bugs worked out, etc).

It's been a slow week, far too busy to spend much time working on my Neon. Yesterday Pat sandblasted my DOHC embossed valve cover for me during the day and I sanded it down and painted it last night. Today I took off a water pump bracket, valve cover bolts, misc. bolts, and wire wheeled/cleared those. I also sanded down and repainted the metal heater lines black too. Tomorrow I plan on painting the block, clearing the head since its looking like new, and if my buddy has time, doing the timing belt and installing the UDP! If all goes to plan, we'll be pulling the crappy motor out of the car tomorrow night too so I can have some time to clean up the engine bay.

Stay tuned

Upgrading to a SRT4 water pump might not be a bad idea since you have it all out of the car. The SRT4 water pump is a much better design IMO.

Getting ready to pull the old motor here tonight! yay!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TurbododgePirate View Post
    Upgrading to a SRT4 water pump might not be a bad idea since you have it all out of the car. The SRT4 water pump is a much better design IMO.
    2.0 and 2.4 have different water pumps.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast