Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Neon R/T Resurrection

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Re: Neon R/T Resurrection

Unlike a TD, you can get the exhaust manifold off without pulling the motor! Not that it's not a lot easier to do now, good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Hey Billy !I gotta do a clutch change on my daughters R/T. Ya got any pics inside the bellhousing or the clutch cable/hydro unit.
    If billy doesn't get you one, I can, I have a couple NVT350's sitting at the house.

It shouldn't be a hydro unit unless it is a second gen.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Billy, just a word of advice. Keep the OE exhaust just in case you hate the noise of the exhaust you are putting on. The OE exhaust flows plenty for all but boosted or some really radical all motor applications and should come off whole without too much struggle. You'll especially appreciate a quiet exhaust when you realize how high these cars tach on the highway.
    So true! I put a 2 1/2" cat-back exhaust on my R/T and the car felt slower, probably due to the loss of what little torque the engine had. The stock exhaust is 2 1/4" and is mandrel bent. No crimp bends anywhere and like you said, flows more than enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gary RT 4.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	17435  

Quote Originally Posted by TurbododgePirate View Post
    If billy doesn't get you one, I can, I have a couple NVT350's sitting at the house.

It shouldn't be a hydro unit unless it is a second gen.
    ARRGH! Aye tought so! Its a 98
    looked too much like a cable.(from what I could see jeez!!)
    But the parts diagrahms are showin a "modular clutch" with hydro tube. Or an 8 1/4 in x15/16in-17 spline unit .But no cable offered!
    Just like to see what I'm gettin into...........before its all over the garage floor!

ARRGH! Aye tought so! Its a 98
    looked too much like a cable.(from what I could see jeez!!)
    But the parts diagrahms are showin a "modular clutch" with hydro tube. Or an 8 1/4 in x15/16in-17 spline unit .But no cable offered!
    Just like to see what I'm gettin into...........before its all over the garage floor!
    It shouldn't be bad. Basically think of it as a 5 speed with a torque converter instead of a clutch. The converter(modular clutch) bolts to a flywheel, and then the tranny and modular clutch come out like a auto and TC. A much simpler design to R&R. Also it made assembly easier as all motors had a flexplate, and you either attached a auto tranny, or a manual. After the modular clutch is removed, the basically look like any other 568 or 523 inside the bellhousing.

So They are "modular"?
    What about a new cable ?
    Pt # or source suggestion?

Unless it is broken, I don't know that you would need a new cable. I have 156K miles on mine when the tranny tossed a diff pin, got a new tranny and modular clutch, but kept the same cable.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Today's update:

Was going to use the engine hoist to get the motor off the stand, but upon tying up the strap, I noticed that my stock exhaust mani. is actually cracked. It's barely noticeable, being only a hairline crack right down the middle of the exhaust mani. but I caught a glimpse of it with the way the lighting was and thankfully I did. I'd have been upset if I isntalled the motor and had that problem on my hands.

Sgt. Craig, do you have a link to those safing tabs btw?

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=86055

Two different part numbers showing there.Id go with the last one.I use to have the part number for them and the oil restrictor.I either threw them away or gave them to turboron when I gave him all my neon parts.If you need help getting the trans apart let me know.I also have a spare bell housing for a neon,the last Neon part I own.

Hey Billy !I gotta do a clutch change on my daughters R/T. Ya got any pics inside the bellhousing or the clutch cable/hydro unit.
    Sure, I'll snap a pic tomorrow. PM me your email.

Thanks for the link Craig!

I've requested that this thread be trimmed down to just my posts that detail my updates, as that is the point of a Project Log IMHO I'll post more updates as they come, but for the next few days I won't be doing anything to the car due to other commitments. Stay tuned

It'll be awhile before anything else gets done with this because I'm going to be really busy with some other commitments coming up. It is coming along though, slowly but surely now. Thanks for viewing.
    Last edited by DC Turismo; 09-17-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    I've requested that this thread be trimmed down to just my posts that detail my updates, as that is the point of a Project Log IMHO
    aint happening.

all of the info here has value to others that want to build up a neon.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Thanks anyways Brian! That's what I've come to understand. Oh well no worries. I'll know better for next time.

BTW, you have a PM

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=86055

Two different part numbers showing there.Id go with the last one.I use to have the part number for them and the oil restrictor.I either threw them away or gave them to turboron when I gave him all my neon parts.If you need help getting the trans apart let me know.I also have a spare bell housing for a neon,the last Neon part I own.
    You threw them away?!?!
    I never throw anything away. Maybe that's why I can't walk through my garage or work on my cars in there.

Nice car btw!

Ron

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456