Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastic window bushings

plastic window bushings

I found a PERFECT replacement for the worn out plastic window bushings used on L Body cars. ...the part that wears out causing windows to tilt back and forth.

It is called a Nylon Snap Bushing.

Hillman # 58168D.

Available at Ace/TrueValue hardware stores.

43 cents each!

- Bill

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: plastic window bushings

Got any pictures of it or how it installs?; I'd like to be sure I'm buying the right part, and since it's a non-standard application, the sales guys will likely be clueless If it works as you say, I'll be one happy camper!! I HATE having to use two hands to roll up my windows!

Thanks for the tip!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

On my parents '85 T&C my Dad and I took apart the doors to clean and lube the latch mechanisms and the window motors. On one of the motor assemblies, inside the gear mechanism there are three plastic rollers that go between the outer gear (motor) and inner gear (regulator). They were busted. Causing too much slop in the gear. I bought some nylon round spacers from Ace. Shaved them down a little bit and I was back in business. I should have taken pictures.

A.J.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Got any pictures of it or how it installs?; I'd like to be sure I'm buying the right part, and since it's a non-standard application, the sales guys will likely be clueless If it works as you say, I'll be one happy camper!! I HATE having to use two hands to roll up my windows!

Thanks for the tip!

Mike
    Huge +1

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    On my parents '85 T&C my Dad and I took apart the doors to clean and lube the latch mechanisms and the window motors. On one of the motor assemblies, inside the gear mechanism there are three plastic rollers that go between the outer gear (motor) and inner gear (regulator). They were busted. Causing too much slop in the gear. I bought some nylon round spacers from Ace. Shaved them down a little bit and I was back in business. I should have taken pictures.

A.J.
    I used ball bearings out of some old 525 tranny bearings to fix the ones in my Diplomat I did take pics, if anyone needs/wants to see them PM me. I think all the motors use the same setup regardless of platform.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Thanks for the tip!

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Huge +1
    +2, pics please

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm on my knees. Begging for pics.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I'm on my knees. Begging for pics.
    LOL

The car is not at the house right now. I will try to get some pics this afternoon.

If you go to Ace, just go to the fasteners aisle. They have the stuff fairly organized in slide out drawers. Look for the drawer marked "Nylon Snap Bushings". It will be with the oddball hardware (like lamp switches and such) but still in the slide out drawers. Get the ones that are #58168D. They look like the plastic grommets that are used on office furniture for power cords to pass thru. Get the ones that are in the bin marked 58168 D.

Oh, another heads up... I was looking around on TD.com and read that the felt ring that slides up and down with the window is actually there to lubricate the window guide rod. It is supposed to be saturated with oil and keeps that rod lubed over the long haul. I know for a fact that white lithium grease doesn't have any staying power. I am going to lube everything with 3 in one oil. Hoping to find some new felt rings from the dealer. One of mine is missing and the other one is a gummed up "shell of its former self".

Just a FYI, I only just got one side installed the other day. While it looks like Ma Mopar put it in there in 83, and works really well, I can't attest to the staying power of these things. Looks REALLY promising though. I was REAL excited that they fit so well AND are made of Nylon.

Anyway, will try to do a writeup with pics.

-Bill
    Last edited by turbo Scamp; 08-15-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp.

I got some pics. How the hell do I upload them to get them on here?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo Scamp View Post
    I got some pics. How the hell do I upload them to get them on here?
    If you send them to bwcordes@gmail.com I would be more than happy to put them up for you.

Yeah I tried to do something with a Hillman rubber one and it failed on the driver's side after about 6 months. The passenger side is still good, but I'm afraid it will wear soon enough. A solid plastic one should do the trick. I'd also like to see pics of this and the bearing one. I actually thought about doing something with a bearing style as well, but didn't ever look hard enough for one that would work well.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

If you send them to bwcordes@gmail.com I would be more than happy to put them up for you.
    Sending now...

Just doing some searching, I found this site which has something similar. Prices are less, but I don't imagine they'll let you place an order for .80 cents via credit card. I'll go by Ace and see if our store has these.

http://www.steinair.com/grommets.htm

Thanks for posting the info!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Sending you the pics now...

Pics sent to cordes.

I managed to get a couple of pics on TD.com at the following link ...
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/...shing-fix.html

Editing pics for hosting now. Many of us can't view stuff over on TD.

Thanks cordes.

- Bill

No problem. I will need to pick some of those up and toss them in my Omni. Now if we could just get the white C shaped deals that would be the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast