Thread: Buick Reatta

Buick Reatta

Anyone have an FSM for a 1988 Buick Reatta? Maybe a Haynes or Chiltons? Mitchell? Thanks.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Buick Reatta

WHat do you need to know? I might be able to help.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

I know all of the glass parts are NS1!

Yeah, I saw a windshield for $2K! Dont know if the guy got that much for it though. My problem is a no start issue among others. It originally powered up and started fine then one day I turned the key to the on position and everything powered on like the digital dash and the touch screen and when I turned the key further to start the car it all went blank. No clicking...nothing. I dropped the column and checked the actuator rod and it seemed aligned right. Could it be the key tumbler itself has kacked? I havent even started to look into the stutter/stumble at WOT it was doing when I drove it home after buying/recueing it. got to get it running again first. The no-start issue is first on the list. So far I have gotten the oil changed, removed and regapped the sparkplugs (they look new). The MAF? sensor on the throttlebody has a cracked housing. I removed it and it looke just a little sooty but I blew on it and it seemed to clean up a little so I put it back on. The last time I had it running the serp-belt tensioner seemed a little noisy but quieted down as it warmed up. I can see why people liked this little roadster. It corners great and while it isnt going to break the sound barrier it has decent power (165hp) for a 3200+lb vehicle! The speedo shows 191K but the transmission is around 50K. No rust but the clearcoat is peeling like a mid/late-80s J or P-body! thats another question I need to ask. Whats the best sequence (and grit) to start with to get the clearcoat off? Never done it before so Im challenged in the hand sanding area! Thanks for any thoughts!

Have you verified fuel and spark up to the injectors and plugs? If you have neither, look at the crank sensor. That model needs to have the sensor centered before you start it. It is possible to put the balancer on but not have it spaced correctly. It will wear the sensor and ruin it.
    Edit: I see it doesn't do anything when you turn the key. Check the battery and all the connections. Both pos and negative for clean, tight connections.
    Bryan

turbo addict

Yeah GM's are notorious for corrosion at the battery terminals cause of the side post. Check at the starter and all your grounds. Also have your battery load tested if possible. Not sure where you got yours, but I see those cars running around northern Illinois all the time.

Hybrid booster

easy...convert the cables to top mount.....my dad did that on his 72 and 84 suburban.

i have an 89 lesabre (that i am parting and junking), so i have done some research into the gm fwd genre. you can get a stroker kit to make that 3.8 into a 4.2, add a supercharger or swap in a 4.6 caddy engine (also found in the buick lucerne). the top level lucerne also has nice big 4 wheel disc brakes with 13 inch front rotors and 18 inch rims. if you want a stick shift (i personally hate an auto on the floor) you can bolt the 6 speed from the pontiac g8 to that 3.8 engine block. you just have to fabricate one engine mount. wiring/engine controls might be a bit more tricky going to a stick. anyway.....food for thought!

Did you get it running yet?
    Bryan