Thread: Question on Viability

Hybrid booster

Question on Viability

Ok. So this weekend i was at a party when someone came running in the house "Somebody's car is leaking crap all over the road!". Everyone poo poo'ed the girl, because it was hot and we all figured it was just an AC condenser dripping.

Well, i went out later that day, to find my car sitting in a puddle of coolant. Nothing huge, but it emptied the system (found that out the hard way ).

So, since i was already toasted, i left it for the next day. When i went back the next day, i found there was a tiny hole in my heater hose. Pics of the hose (not the hole, can add tonight).

[IMG][/IMG]

So i set out to replace it. Suprise suprise, Dodge no longer manufactures them, and the dealer tells me that no one has these in stock, so i'm out of luck. Of COURSE it's a tapered hose, so i'm really out of luck. Looked to me like one side is (these are guesses) about 3/4 and inch, and the other side is 1/4. So i went to the store and got 1/2 hose.

When tightening it down to the sending unit (i have no idea what this item is called, pics below). I snap off the plastic tip that the hose attaches to! And once again! Mopar no longer manufactures them, and no dealer has any in stock!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

SO, in order to get home (this is currently my only car, as my DD is on the crapper), i routed the hose directly from the block back to the water pump.

In all the diagrams the parts guy showed me it appears i'm only bypassing the heat for my car, but i wanted to ask the experts, is this correct? If it is, i think i'm just going to solidify the bypass (its shaky at best right now) and move on.

I've driven it like this for a few days, and about 500 miles, so if it is going to do damage (i'm concerned mainly about my turbo, not sure if i'm bypassing the cooling for it. though i'm not sure if i even was/am cooling it, or if that was how it was/could be cooled) it's probably already been done, but i'm just trying to get a feel for what i can/should do (i'm fairly new to working on this myself....long story).

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Question on Viability

That is the heater control valve, the dealer should still carry one, if not then off to the junkyard I think they are the same or very similar for all the cars. And that isn't special hose, it should be 5/8 heater hose.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

that's the heater control valve
    if you just looped the hoses going to and from the motor and left the ones from the firewall hanging then yes , all you did was by-pass the heater core
    any napa, peppoys should have that in stock
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Hybrid booster

huh, it looks tapered. maybe one end is just streched out because the "nozzle" is wider?

Guess i'll give napa a call, though if i'm only bypassing the heat i may just take the unit/hoses out and save the 5 lbs.

Hybrid booster

I bought a heater control valve from pepboys this spring and it was in stock.
    I would replace every hose going to and from it while you are there. Because if one is going the others probably aren't to far behind.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Hybrid booster

the hose is indeed larger on the waterpump end but you can nurse 5/8 over the nipple.

Norm

Hybrid booster

Don't go without that part. You'll either have no heat or too much.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rare_ram View Post
    Don't go without that part. You'll either have no heat or too much.
    Yeah, but that's heat into the cabin?

Not heat in the motor....

Went a week, seems ok...prob gong to try this weekend.