Thread: ASC/McLaren Grand Prix STE Turbo project

Hybrid booster

ASC/McLaren Grand Prix STE Turbo project

in an attempt to compete with my brother's Spirit R/T i have decided that the stock GEN-II 3.1L LG5 Turbo engine is just not going to cut it it has a horrbily restrictive intake and heads - very long skinny runners. great for torque as my Cutlass has proven, but not so good for upper RPM power.

soooo...today my brother and i went and picked up a complete LA1 3400 V6. it's a GEN-III 60* V6 - the engine found in newer Grand Ams and Impalas etc. unlike my LG5, it has a much higher flowing intake and heads plus a larger intake valve with higher ratio roller rockers & roller lifters. at first i thought i'd just use the 3400 heads and intake on my LG5 and make a GEN-II/GEN-III hybrid but i think i'm going to take advantage of the increased displacement and use the whole thing. this block also has a better oiling system.

the old:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/DSC02569.JPG

and the new:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/3400/DSC02565.JPG

i made 227whp with the 240,000 mile GEN-II LG5 in my daily driver Cutlass and besides having the old GEN-II intake/heads, it has an extremely small Garrett T25 and a sidemount intercooler similar to the Turbo Mopars. my goal is to reach 350whp with the 3400 using a 3500 plenum, Garrett GT3076R-WG turbo, FMIC and 3" exhaust. i will be using the TGP wiring harness and ECM so the 3400 will no longer be SFI. EEPROM tuning will be with TunerPro RT using Innovate Motorsports LC1 WB. i will also be swapping out the 4T60-HD automatic for the extra Getrag 282 5-speed i have.

all of this going into my 3400lb Grand Prix STE.

http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/DSC02567.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/DSC02568.JPG

it's sitting a little high in the rear since i just installed 1.8" drop Intrax front springs. i will be removing the stock transverse fiberglass monoleaf spring and installing adjustable coilovers like i did with my Cutlass. and yes, it really needs paint
    -------------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '90 ASC/McLaren Grand Prix STE Turbo - 1 of 1000
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo/HM-282 5-speed - 227whp/325wtq

boostaholic

Re: ASC/McLaren Grand Prix STE Turbo project

That looks like it will be a fun car to drive,show us more pics a buddy of mine is wanting to do a 3100 turbo in his beretta.

Hybrid booster

i haven't done much work at all with the drivetrain yet. i've done alot to the suspension and brakes though!

original 10.1" rear disc brakes and TINY sway bar:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/brakes_susp/DSC02383.JPG

the '88-'93 W-body rear calipers are notorious for siezing up and this is a perfect example. i upgraded to the redesigned '94+ style W-body calipers and 11" rear rotors. the only downside is i have to do something to get the parking brake to work i put the 22mm Addco sway bar in at the same time:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/brakes_susp/DSC02389.JPG

the original front brakes used 10.5" rotors. the '95+ W-bodies used a larger 11.25" rotor but the same caliper. in order to upgrade to the larger rotor i had to swap out the entire strut/knuckle assemblies from a '96 Cutlass. while i had the strut/knuckles out i installed the Intrax springs, KYB strut mounts, KYB strut boots, and new GM greaseable balljoints:

http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/brakes_susp/DSC02508.JPG

i'll be buying 245/50 tires to replace the stock 215/60s. i'm replacing the ugly 16x6 STE wheels with white 16x7 5-spoke wheels from a GTP:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/ste/brakes_susp/DSC02572.JPG

i have quite aways to go yet with the suspension. tires, coilovers, KYB GR-2 struts and rear strut mounts are probably going to cost me another $1100.

btw, this is the Grand Prix that i traded for my old T2/A555 '89 Lebaron GTS last October. i miss owning a TD but my first love is the TGP.
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo/HM-282 5-speed - 227whp/325wtq

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Cool project man. A guy I know down the road from me is selling one, a '90, me and him have worked on it a good bit to get it back running. Has a new crank sensor, wires, fpr, I think a new fuel pump, etc etc. He says it's still not right, he says it will foul out the plugs really quick.

They're a cool looking car and rare too, good luck with it.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I was looking at a turbo grand Prix in locally about a year ago, the price was right but it needed a lot of work and I didn't want to get too wrapped up in another project. I still think they are cool cars. I'm a Mopar guy to the core, but anything with forced induction is cool in my book.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Sorry for not knowing...but there were factory turboed 3.1 cars from GM?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Yes, early 90's. It was their answer to the turbo spirits and other quick "family" cars. Then dodge went 16v on them and cleaned their clocks... Nice looking cars.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

What was their performance #s?

The SHO and Lumina Z34 I thought was the competition?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Z34 twin cam was chevy's answer. Pontiac got 205 hp from turbo-charging.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar
    Cool project man. A guy I know down the road from me is selling one, a '90, me and him have worked on it a good bit to get it back running. Has a new crank sensor, wires, fpr, I think a new fuel pump, etc etc. He says it's still not right, he says it will foul out the plugs really quick.

They're a cool looking car and rare too, good luck with it.
    sounds like he might have the original crossover pipe in there. the original pipe has really crappy flex bellows. a cracked flex bellow will draw air in, fool the O2 sensor and cause the engine to run really rich.

original crossover pipe (heat shield removed):
    http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/en...s/DSC00894.JPG

rebuilt crossover pipe:
    http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/en...builtXover.jpg

yes the TGP was rated at 205hp/225tq. i made 227whp/325wtq with:

- K&N cone directly on compressor inlet
    - custom burnt TGP memcal for use with 5-speed
    - M&M Racing MBC @ ~11psi
    - no cat + generic straight through muffler on stock piping
    - 5-speed swap (less drivetrain loss)

www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/dyno3.jpg

the engine had about 230,000 miles on it at the time of the dyno. it's actually the original Cutlass Supreme 3.1 shortblock (it's never been rebuilt). i turbocharged the previously NA 3.1 engine at 227,000 miles using TGP parts. i'm up to about 250,000 miles now and it's doing great. although no traction until 3rd gear
    Joshua Mitchell

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I get to drive TurboSedan's car once in a while and it is a blast, although the driveability leaves a little to be desired since the custom memcal isn't quite right. It has soooo much more torque than the original n/a 3.1 setup. It is also much easier to launch than any of my Turbo Mopars. If I were at a red light next to say, a '99 Mustang GT, I would feel way more confident in the Cutlass than my Shelby Lancer.

Even though the turbo is a little T25, it is a fairly large T25 and comparable to the TII turbo as far as power output. It spools up instantaneously, no need for brake torquing from a roll.