Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 second 190,000 mile low boost 3.0 build

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: 10 second 190,000 mile low boost 3.0 build

i was wondering when you would respond to all my harassment.

the thing is that i dont really care how fast anyones cars go. i was just responding to your continual posts on how fast you have gone on how little boost and how shitty the 2.2/2.5's are. you say the last thing you want to do is brag but those statements are just that... bragging.

that combined with some of your cobblejobs/breakage of the past/present makes you a hypocrite and ripe for harassment.

plus when you lash out like a dumbass, you become the new e-bully.

plus, who gives you the right to be the TM vigilante??? ill deal with the e-bullies thank you. when you start acting like a douche to try to shut them up is when you get reprimanded and piss me off. now if you bring up FACTS calmly and post them without all the attitude that you normally spew, then its ok. you havent posted facts. youve made baseless accusations. if you see an e-bully, lemme know. ill smack them around.

why do you bring up Gary so much? are you pissed cause he didnt give away all the collaborative research???? why should he? he had products to produce to support his then-wife and child. I dont see you bitchhing at cindy for not giving her calibration information away. besides, he said if he had some errors and you had facts to back that up, let him know and he would change his info. he didnt say "call me out in public and call me a liar and keep bringing it up when i dont provoke it".

i also dont think he knew how to tune T-III SBEC's anyway other than some broad timing changes in the cal.

you definitely cant complain on my dealings with calibration stuff. i make videos on how to do this stuff and ive taught countless people what i know. though ive harassed you endlessly for being a dick to others on this board, ive offered to make you a megasquirt base timing table based off of the stock SMEC values for vacuum plus some educated guess values for boost. i told you about my knock box idea too cause i think it would be great for your car once i finish it.

as for my comments to vigo about "you havent done the same"..... you dont get to defend someones car performance until you have been there and struggled to create speed.

it would be like if james reeves went to the races and popped his motor and everyone was giving him crap and I suddenly became his advocate and made a bunch of excuses. that doesnt make sense. i dont have a 10 sec car nor went through the process of creating one nor did i have a hand in creating his car other than a teensy smidge of cal advice to warren. who would i be to defend his car. im not even in the same state.

now onto "what have you done". not a whole lot other than helping people with cals. i didnt create the goal for me of making a ridiculous car yet. thats on the plate for the future. i wanted a car that could run low 13's, high 12's and have it be a pretty reliable daily driver. i met my goal.

my harassment of you has very little to do with cars and almost everything to do with how you deal with others on the site. please quit being a dick. if you feel that im unfair and there are other people being worse than you, PM me.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post

simon, lets see you run a fast time an n/a headgasket. Bring it. You couldn't get fancy ones to hold down
    Me, i have just learned that cometic makes the worst MLS gaskets on the market but in unquestioning TD/TM land nobody has figured that out.
    I am running an N/A gasket,

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo
    now onto "what have you done". not a whole lot other than helping people with cals. i didnt create the goal for me of making a ridiculous car yet. thats on the plate for the future. i wanted a car that could run low 13's, high 12's and have it be a pretty reliable daily driver. i met my goal.
    Yep, he took the time to TALK to me on the phone for literally hours to help mu understand cals, without him, I wouldn't have gone as fast this year and have the potential to go faster, but my own stupidity got in the way.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i was just responding to your continual posts on how fast you have gone on how little boost and how shitty the 2.2/2.5's are
    In all fairness im making about half those posts... and id rather brag about his car than mine, even though im blowing some 8v peoples out of the water on stock parts at 3900 rpm. .. thats not enough to make me cool, though. Id have to trap 20mph faster on the same boost im already running.. which brent has. Hes gone 11s on the same boost with only 20% more displacement. BAM. or at least thats how it comes off to me.

But see im just a kindred spirit who doesnt like spending money. I see all these people buying forged pistons and stuff and im thinking brent could buy 3 500hp-capable longblocks for the same price as 4 forged pistons that 90% of people wont get close to 500 hp on.

So the things i like dont get everyone else riled up the same. I just give props where i see coolness. And i think people here are getting what they want since brent doesnt post here much, if at all. I just started a fight in his thread for no raisin! lol

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    But see im just a kindred spirit who doesnt like spending money. I see all these people buying forged pistons and stuff and im thinking brent could buy 3 500hp-capable longblocks for the same price as 4 forged pistons that 90% of people wont get close to 500 hp on.
    that doesnt impress me much though. 500hp is cool.... but its cooler if the engine lasts longer than his seem to last. i can make a 500hp Geo metro, but its not going to last.

i have forged pistons in my k car. do i need it now at 18-20 psi that i usually run. not really (especially given terry's evidence at 35+ psi on 2.5L cast).

will i need them in the future with my future plans. most likely.

I already like brents car alot. i would be more impressed if he put together the proper engine management on the car so it lasts longer between JY motors.

stock ecu with RRR's and alky to prevent knock is not proper engine management. does it work? yes.... sorta (see above). will it last longer with a good fuel map and timing map? yes, most definitely.

oh and another thing.... brents "on an engine that was NEVER meant to see boost" comment. it was designed with boost in mind at least somewhat otherwise they wouldnt have had 3.0L prototype turbo engines and 3000gt turbo engines around. you could say that about the 2.2L and 2.5L engines as well. they werent designed for boost from the get-go. both arguments are irrelevant though.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Have not fixed the headgasketet yet but the car just started using MSII on the first attempt. Clears out the WD-40 that was in the motor (keeping it from rusting when I had accidentally put coolant back in and it leaked into the cylinders) and then starts burbling and then roars to life.

One problem is the MSII doesnt seem to be super simple to set up for the zeitronix output. Its not a linear signal but we can change the zeitronix settings to change the narrowband wire to a linear wideband wire. Then we would just need the lower and upper points on the linear scale (only have the scale info for the non linear scale).

The other problem is that we have no tach in the car. Tried stealing input directly from the low data rate wire on the distributor. Not sure what else to try. DIYAutotune says "this is the advantage of a parallel install" but with the MSII controlling the coil the stock ECU seems to do nothing for the Tach even though its still installed.

The harness is not cleaned up, a bunch of wires are way too long but I was happy it started the first try. We spent about 16 hours messing around with stuff, and most of them time was spent finding out that we didnt have the right software to match the MSII Rev 2.888 firmware on the MSII controller.

We goofed around with the rev limiter and set a 2000 soft 2025 hard limiter but since it was reving at 1800 rpms (we didnt try to fix anything) it had a hard time functioning. Also I am using simultaneous injection (1 batch fire) so there is still a lot of fuel in the motor when the rev limiter engages. We didnt try a timing retard yet.

So many things to play with and its just crazy to see what we have control of with a few simple connectors!

And the 3.0 engine was designed for forklifts so it was not planned for boost, it was an industrial application propane engine, thats why its overbuilt.
    But yes, there is a huge difference between a motor that comes with low compression pistons, large ring gaps, and low top rings....and a motor that comes with high compression, small ring gaps, and high top rings.

Try building n/a 2.2/2.5's with n/a pistons and TII rods. I'd read for years how "stupid" this kind of idea is but those are someone elses words.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-04-2009 at 06:47 AM.

did you get my PM with the timing spreadsheet? did I make sense? I was trying to send it before the battery died on my laptop.

you may just want to make your own timing map for vacuum as the factory had dips and blips in the curves. looked like it had a dip near the torque peak for some reason. probably so it would run fine without pinging on 87 octane with a heavy load in a van.

I read about the repairs that had to be done on your MS. is the actual processor not spitting out the injector signal to U7 or is U7 damaged and not sending out the signal to the injector drivers?

I want to put together a MS3. that thing looks SICK!

so when are we going to see some high rev, high boost 3.0L vids?

Brian

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If you like labour over a few bucks, be my guest. I'll spend $400 or ? over takign the motor out every other day. When you have a family, job, life, things start to make sense, taking a motor out every day isn't for me and 99% of the people on this forum. Add up the cost, labour to replace the motor 4 times in a week, $400 sounds damn good.

Have not fixed the headgasketet yet but the car just started using MSII on the first attempt. Clears out the WD-40 that was in the motor (keeping it from rusting when I had accidentally put coolant back in and it leaked into the cylinders) and then starts burbling and then roars to life.

One problem is the MSII doesnt seem to be super simple to set up for the zeitronix output. Its not a linear signal but we can change the zeitronix settings to change the narrowband wire to a linear wideband wire. Then we would just need the lower and upper points on the linear scale (only have the scale info for the non linear scale).

The other problem is that we have no tach in the car. Tried stealing input directly from the low data rate wire on the distributor. Not sure what else to try. DIYAutotune says "this is the advantage of a parallel install" but with the MSII controlling the coil the stock ECU seems to do nothing for the Tach even though its still installed.

The harness is not cleaned up, a bunch of wires are way too long but I was happy it started the first try. We spent about 16 hours messing around with stuff, and most of them time was spent finding out that we didnt have the right software to match the MSII Rev 2.888 firmware on the MSII controller.

We goofed around with the rev limiter and set a 2000 soft 2025 hard limiter but since it was reving at 1800 rpms (we didnt try to fix anything) it had a hard time functioning. Also I am using simultaneous injection (1 batch fire) so there is still a lot of fuel in the motor when the rev limiter engages. We didnt try a timing retard yet.

So many things to play with and its just crazy to see what we have control of with a few simple connectors!

And the 3.0 engine was designed for forklifts so it was not planned for boost, it was an industrial application propane engine, thats why its overbuilt.
    But yes, there is a huge difference between a motor that comes with low compression pistons, large ring gaps, and low top rings....and a motor that comes with high compression, small ring gaps, and high top rings.

Try building n/a 2.2/2.5's with n/a pistons and TII rods. I'd read for years how "stupid" this kind of idea is but those are someone elses words.

Where do you get the forklift info from?

Dodge did have factory turbo 3.0L's, wish they hadn't dropped it.

As for N/A engines, I did it by accident, too bad I didn't know and it could have held together longer. My TIII was a high compression motor for awhile, over 9:1 before I realized it, it held together just fine,

Glad your getting the MS worked out, it will be awesome when you can keep it together and rip off some stupid times,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Early 80's forklifts were the original motor Use. One of the shortblocks was for sale on ebay last year.
    The motor was already developed before it was used in cars. Thats why the sohc probably has such pathetic cams etc. That way it could make good low rpm power for extended periods of time.
    I haven't had the mental energy to read much of this thread or respond about the spark maps. Not much left in the tank and I can't believe it even started because i was feeling so out of it. We are having an unemployment car party at bansheenut's....cause nobody had had to go to work the past few days thanks to the economy.

I have Spark and VE curves from Nathan wilbur. He didnt tell me what was not working on the board. he just said the first injector driver did not work. I had to put it on simultaneous fuel injection since I just have one driver.

Sorta unhappy about the tach and i need to get a few sensors set up correctly. Also have to fix one of the o rings on the front head.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Hey, isn't that the Simon Brotherhood Club you're referencing? If I come home on a towtruck one more time this year, I'll be an honorary member myself
    Luckily, I have taken mine apart before needing the TT. Still makes me a hack!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hahahhaa, maybe a few years ago, haven't need a tow truck for 3 years now,
    Only because you haven't roached the trans.....LOL!!!

Early 80's forklifts were the original motor Use. One of the shortblocks was for sale on ebay last year.
    The motor was already developed before it was used in cars. Thats why the sohc probably has such pathetic cams etc. That way it could make good low rpm power for extended periods of time.
    I haven't had the mental energy to read much of this thread or respond about the spark maps. Not much left in the tank and I can't believe it even started because i was feeling so out of it. We are having an unemployment car party at bansheenut's....cause nobody had had to go to work the past few days thanks to the economy.

I have Spark and VE curves from Nathan wilbur. He didnt tell me what was not working on the board. he just said the first injector driver did not work. I had to put it on simultaneous fuel injection since I just have one driver.

Sorta unhappy about the tach and i need to get a few sensors set up correctly. Also have to fix one of the o rings on the front head.
    Brent, isn't 6 injectors on one driver too much for it? Almost every batch system is 3 & 3 or 4 & 4. Could that be an issue?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, he took the time to TALK to me on the phone for literally hours to help mu understand cals, without him, I wouldn't have gone as fast this year and have the potential to go faster, but my own stupidity got in the way.
    But you ARE a slow learner...

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Brent, isn't 6 injectors on one driver too much for it? Almost every batch system is 3 & 3 or 4 & 4. Could that be an issue?
    I was told the MS injector drivers are VERY robust, and can handle 12 cylinder applications (aka 6 injecters per driver).

Working on the head now.

Probably going to switch the narrowband output on the zeit to linear wideband and use the equation to fill in the end points of the sensor range for MSII to use.
    For tach I am not sure. I really don't want to buy a tach and fit it into the car.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I was told the MS injector drivers are VERY robust, and can handle 12 cylinder applications (aka 6 injecters per driver).
    If they can, no problem. I personally didn't know. Just thought I'de ask in case it was overlooked.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

If you like labour over a few bucks, be my guest. I'll spend $400 or ? over takign the motor out every other day. When you have a family, job, life, things start to make sense, taking a motor out every day isn't for me and 99% of the people on this forum. Add up the cost, labour to replace the motor 4 times in a week, $400 sounds damn good.
    I still dont see why people think the breakage is such a bad thing when he is intentionally trying to find out what will happen where. Everybody on the 2.2/2.5 bottom end has seen rod bolt failures on 440whp, headgasket failures on the #4 cylinder, melted pistons at certain boost levels and egts, etc etc etc. BUT, for MOST people, they've seen them on OTHER PEOPLE'S CARS, because OTHER people found the limits so 95% of us dont have to. Nobody has attempted a lot of the things Brent is trying. Also, Brent doesn't daily drive this car, he has a perfectly reliable 14 sec n/a spirit for that. This car is meant for finding limits, and the faster he finds them, the faster he knows what to fix and what not to do. So i still dont get all the complaining about breaking things. I dont particularly care if i break my aries either. Its an almost free motor, free tranny, etc. Its not my daily driver and with a little help from my friends i can patch it back together in a day if i want to. Or push it into a corner for months. whatever. Its a toy. a cheap toy. The day it gets too expensive to break will be the day i stop beating on it, but i can make sure that never happens by not dumping too much money into it in the first place.

Anyway good to hear the MS is finally running the car!

Working on the head now.

Probably going to switch the narrowband output on the zeit to linear wideband and use the equation to fill in the end points of the sensor range for MSII to use.
    For tach I am not sure. I really don't want to buy a tach and fit it into the car.
    they are robust if you are using the add on flyback board when using low impedance injectors.

when i helped set up a friends megasquirt, i thought it had the zeitronix wideband translation curves ready to select? another friend had a zeitronix feeding wideband signals directly into his MS on his turbo neon.

I read the one post where Nathan wrote back to you about what he replaced. did he replace U7 (FET driver if you are using a V2.2 board) or U4 (FET driver if you are using a V3.0 board)? on my friends MS, he popped U7 (he has a V2.2 board and MS2 processor) and thats what drives the injector driver transistors. we socketed that chip (8 pin little thing) and before he plugged in a new U7, we hooked the stimulator up to it and used a small LED test light (you could also use a meter set to V) to probe the pins where the pulsed output from the MS2 processor comes. we slowed down the pulses pretty slow by lowering the map and rpm simulated knobs on the stimulator and could verify that the MS2 processor was sending signals to U7 (in his case) to make sure that we didnt burn out the outputs from the MS2 processor itself.

if the MS2 is creating the signals, its most likely that FET driver thats the culprit.

brian

I still dont see why people think the breakage is such a bad thing when he is intentionally trying to find out what will happen where.
    its the principle..... when you say "I have a 500whp car" and it is reliable and lasts for years without blowing up, its much more impressive than when it breaks all the time.

i know he is looking to find limits and make power. but he is doing it backwards. i know a RRR and a N/A ecu is easier. but it creates problems (pushing coolant) that you may blame on the hard parts (weak head structure) when its most likely too much timing. he could have made 600whp (speculation, yes i know) with proper timing control from the beginning.

its like simon. he continues to run too much timing (yes i know he doesnt care about this half blown up motor) and then asks "why did i shoot a stream of coolant out the side of the head????" when its obvious to anyone who digs deep in to engine management tuning.

so now that he has total timing and fuel control, its like starting all over again. those whp numbers are going to fall when you take away all that timing. the engine will be much happier though. the boost will have to be higher to make the previous numbers once the timing is taken away and the bragging rights will go right out the window.

you dont have to break tons of stuff all the time when doing development on a unproven engine combo. you apply the tricks from other engine testing and see where it might relate on the engine that you are currently working on.

i kinda wish i had my 3.0L back sometimes. would i use all of brents work to build mine. NO. would i apply everything that ive learned over the years on other engine builds on my 3.0L build? yes. would everyone open their fat mouth and say "yeah but brent did all the hard work for you".... YES. would they even listen to my defense? nope....

Everybody on the 2.2/2.5 bottom end has seen rod bolt failures on 440whp
    you talking about gary? those were ARP rod bolts. not stock. that was a defective fastener. i saw the rod myself in person later and what was left of the bolt. stock shot peened rod with some light beam polishing. reeves is pushing way more than that through stock rods with the usual shot peening and beam polishing. larryb is making 531+ at the REAR wheels (ie more drivetrain loss) on stock rods with the usual shot peening and beam polishing.

yes i know it proves your point that others have done some work in the past that many others can learn from but i dont want people to be misled that the stock rods are no good after 440whp cause its not true.

Brian
    Last edited by Aries_Turbo; 10-04-2009 at 11:31 PM.

I had a 500hp motor that I took apart to inspect and decided not to put back together ( Just a nick on piston that I wanted to polish out) but low compression on e85 would make no sense and run horribly. That ran for 3 years and never stopped running. I am using the cylinder heads from that motor right now.

Nothing broke on this current motor and I have pictures of the interesting stuff that the copper wire did. It actually blew out 2 cylinders, the MLS gasket is ruined. The copper wire does very very interesting stuff. We found a way to simulate what it does with a vice and 2 pieces of stainless steel.
    I was going to rering the front head but now I have some choices since the rear head still has a good cometic gasket but I would rather have the Mitsu MLS gasket on there.

The nice thing about the copper wire is that it bulged out in places on the 2 bad cylinders instead of just hacking the piston to pieces. It solves the cylinder head deck flex issue fairly well from what I have seen and it has some level of weakness so extreme cylinder pressures from detonation have a possible escape.
    Pictures not uploaded yet. They are really cool. The .012" wire I installed became a .005" thick ring and even if it bulged out in 2 cylinders from detonation, it still would hold its ground wherever it stopped. The 2 bad rings must have gotten pushed near the intake side coolant passages (weakest part of the head) and when sustained to large amounts of heat and combustion pressure on the dyno, finally gave out. The street pulls never put much load on the motor and the load was for a tiny amount of time.

I may consider installing the copper wire between the head gasket instead of gasket to block. One issue I can see is expansion rates between the gasket and head messing with the copper ring. Reason to do it, to get a tighter pinch on the head instead of relying on the headgasket to "notice" the copper wire an pinch upwards.

#2 on the front head was perfectly fine. I did not pull the rear head because I was planning to just fix the O ring.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-05-2009 at 05:43 AM.

you talking about gary? those were ARP rod bolts. not stock. that was a defective fastener. i saw the rod myself in person later and what was left of the bolt. stock shot peened rod with some light beam polishing. reeves is pushing way more than that through stock rods with the usual shot peening and beam polishing. larryb is making 531+ at the REAR wheels (ie more drivetrain loss) on stock rods with the usual shot peening and beam polishing.

yes i know it proves your point that others have done some work in the past that many others can learn from but i dont want people to be misled that the stock rods are no good after 440whp cause its not true.
    Ok, well im not trying to teach anyone anything about 8vs, just making a point, so we're both right. If reeves and larryB WERENT makling more than 440 and noone ever had, we wouldnt really know that they COULD take more and everyone would start buying expensive rods at 400whp just because one person blew them up and word got around. So luckily someone else did it for us so we dont go off wasting our money on things we dont need.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The tach driver is very easy to build and was the only thing that worked dependibly for me. There should be no issues running the stock tach with the driver in place.

except that the stock tach doesnt go as high as he wants to rev.

I think a little bit of money for a good tacch would be worth it. The stock one isnt very accurate, and the $12 i got from harbor freight is even less accurate.. so id say bump up to the $30 ones at least.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i have forged pistons in my k car. do i need it now at 18-20 psi that i usually run. not really (especially given terry's evidence at 35+ psi on 2.5L cast).

Brian

Never heard of him? 35psi on cast is crazy! Links to info?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast