Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

Hybrid booster

Question Re: Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

My inquiry to TPJ was for the '87 GLHS plaque, which he indicated he had never seen any spares (NOS) for.

If he had plaques for other '87 Shelby models we did not discuss them, so I appreciate the info.

ALSO, regarding the early model/late model controversy, that interests me as well as my GLHS is numbered in the mid-200's and the tag was missing when I bought the car. I can see the adhesive mark where it was located--same size as my wife's. Wife's is numbered 6xx and had the "GLHS Charger" style.

Were both styles the same physical size? Be interesting to know where the cutoff was for that--

Garrett booster

Re: Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs View Post
    My inquiry to TPJ was for the '87 GLHS plaque, which he indicated he had never seen any spares (NOS) for.

If he had plaques for other '87 Shelby models we did not discuss them, so I appreciate the info.

ALSO, regarding the early model/late model controversy, that interests me as well as my GLHS is numbered in the mid-200's and the tag was missing when I bought the car. I can see the adhesive mark where it was located--same size as my wife's. Wife's is numbered 6xx and had the "GLHS Charger" style.

Were both styles the same physical size? Be interesting to know where the cutoff was for that--
    I don't think there was any sort of "numerical method" of shipping these cars to Whittier and no sort of "numerical order" of working on them either. But then again, VIN's don't line up with the Shelby #'s either. All 1000 are numerically lined with Shelby's plaque number, but the VIN's are not within a 1000 span. They are kinda all over the place. So in the end, I'm guessing of course, that when the first car was finished it was #2, next car that was finished was #3, and so on. If somebody with first hand knowledge or connection with a special somebody, please confirm or deny this method.
    I'm also guessing the plaque method was the same as with the Shelby windshiel decal as well. Okay, now that I have thoroughly confused myself, I'll go now....

Barry, didn't have one.
    Last edited by ShelbyTC16v; 08-01-2009 at 11:14 AM.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyTC16v View Post
    I don't think there was any sort of "numerical method" of shipping these cars to Whittier and no sort of "numerical order" of working on them either. But then again, VIN's don't line up with the Shelby #'s either. All 1000 are numerically lined with Shelby's plaque number, but the VIN's are not within a 1000 span. They are kinda all over the place. So in the end, I'm guessing of course, that when the first car was finished it was #2, next car that was finished was #3, and so on. If somebody with first hand knowledge or connection with a special somebody, please confirm or deny this method.
    I'm also guessing the plaque method was the same as with the Shelby windshiel decal as well. Okay, now that I have thoroughly confused myself, I'll go now....

Barry, didn't have one.
    But your car was the first one shipped and the lowest #'d Shelby invoice for that model. So it would only make sense that it was one of the first couple hundred built. Also, knowing it went to Carroll's good friend, sort of backs up that it was an early build.

IIRC tpj told me it was the first 270 or so built that got 86 GLHS plaques. If I go down the VIN list in invoice and ship date order it is the first 272 or 273 that were invoiced and shipped in Oct of 1986. The rest being in November or later.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    But your car was the first one shipped and the lowest #'d Shelby invoice for that model. So it would only make sense that it was one of the first couple hundred built. Also, knowing it went to Carroll's good friend, sort of backs up that it was an early build.

IIRC tpj told me it was the first 270 or so built that got 86 GLHS plaques. If I go down the VIN list in invoice and ship date order it is the first 272 or 273 that were invoiced and shipped in Oct of 1986. The rest being in November or later.

Barry
    Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.

Thanks Barry.

On the windshield decal, was it like the first 120 or 160 or so that got the Omni decal with the CS cut off? After that, the rest got the larger version of SHELBY.
    I don't know that I've ever heard the quantity of those mentioned.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Look at the Year One catalog. Hundred of thousands of high quality reproduction items that would otherwise make a muscle car restoration incomplete.

If you're not gonna have a piece that looks like the original, why put one on at al?
    I see where you're coming from. Oh well, whatever the final product is I'll be happy with. I just don't want people who are new to the hobby to be taken advantage of in the future. (i.e. when Shelby passes away and all kinds of Whittier cars come out of the woodwork and people are looking for stuff to fix them even though they never knew these cars existed in the first place)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    I see where you're coming from. Oh well, whatever the final product is I'll be happy with. I just don't want people who are new to the hobby to be taken advantage of in the future. (i.e. when Shelby passes away and all kinds of Whittier cars come out of the woodwork and people are looking for stuff to fix them even though they never knew these cars existed in the first place)
    True dat.... but the history of these vehicles are so cloudy, and there are so few historians to validate such stuff, I don't think it will really matter. As long as the vin is good, and the car looks nice, they should really be the only things that matter.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Thanks Barry.

Mine is #25x and it has the smaller decal.

Thanks Barry.

I talked to tpj today. Both the Mobil 1 plaque and the decal from the 86 car were used in the same quantity. I was wrong earlier when I remembered the number as being about 270.

It was about 170 for both. He said that when they closed down the Friday after the correct plaques and decals arrived they decided that they would start using the correct parts on Monday. So all the early cars both got short decals and 86 plaques. So if your 87 Charger GLHS windshield is original, and it has the short Shelby decal then it also originally had the 86 Mobil 1 plaque.

As an update, SDAC is buying a small quantity of each plaque that he has. He and I had discussed this about a year ago but it never got off the ground. There were 4 Mobil 1 plaques total. The CSX plaques were used for both 87 & 89, while the CSX-T never got them and neither did the Shelby Dakotas.

In about a week to 10 days, SDAC will have plaques for the 86 GLHS, CSX, and Shelby Lancer. There will be a new thread in the SDAC forum regarding these when that time comes.

Dave, tpj expressed interest in having you do reproductions of the 87 Charger GLHS plaque.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Garrett booster

Great news Barry! I'll be looking for the announcement.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    The CSX plaques were used for both 87 & 89.
    My 89 CSX did not have a plaque or evidence of one underhood. I assumed 89s did not get a plaque. Did these really come with one?
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by CNH320 View Post
    My 89 CSX did not have a plaque or evidence of one underhood. I assumed 89s did not get a plaque. Did these really come with one?
    I'll ask him when I talk to him next time.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

My Iroc R/T has a reproduction Mobil 1 Placque that I have had on there for a few years not. I got it from SuperDave from the RTML. He no longer has the connection to get them made.

Dave, If anyone want you to do repros of this one, I can get you a High Res. shot of it and dimensions. If you need it let me know.

Sorry, but this is the best shot that I have of it on my computer here at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2201037_OEMTYPEValleyCover3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	16457  
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Ok all,

Well it looks like this will likely be a go, bearing the ability to see one and make sure I can do it with one of my 2 digital printers. Barry, I will be in touch with you regarding what TPJ said and go from there.

And it stands now, I will NOT make anything that SDAC has to sell. First off, you're supporting the hobby and the club and I would never stand in the way of that. Secondly, why pass up a repro when you can get a NOS one?? By the way, if you are not an SDAC member, considering joining (or re-newing membership) if you buy an NOS one. The club is here to help YOU, now you can help IT

That said, I am thinking of a target of around $20 shipped to do these. They will be .025 anodized aluminum (I need to see one to determine if it is a "grain" finish or "matte" finish aluminum -- I have both). They will have micro-thin 3M tape on the back (micro-thin so it doesnt "sit up" away from the surface you mount it on). If this seems high I am sorry, but you have to realize the factory was making these in large numbers and screen printing them.

I would offer discounts on multiple orders. When complete I assure you it will be a top quality product. I am willing to make custom ones (i.e., Royal Purple, etc) but would need to see an actual label from the manufacturer to properly try and match the color, logo, etc.

What I need to know right now is the following (hopefully Barry or TPJ can shed some light):

-How many styles were there, accounting for all models that had it? I was under the impression there were TWO (each a different size) with the only other difference being the actual vehicle listed on it. Can anyone get this information?

-Did they have square or rounded corners? Were these "clean cut" (i.e., a perfect rectangle with perfect square or rounded corners) or were they "stamp cut" (i.e., not perfect parallel straight lines, etc)? The few I have seen on Ebay looked like they weren't perfectly square/rectangular (if you know what I mean, hopefully you do).

Please note before I 100% say yes to this.......

1.) Please, please, PLEASE don't post hereafter with "yes I want one". There will be a different thread for that if these come to light, posting such here will only clutter the facts of trying to GET them made

2.) I want to see one from TPJ to make sure one of my 2 digital printers can in fact duplicate it to my strict specs. If I can't, I will not put out an inferior product.

I will keep you all informed, and thank you for your support
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    My Iroc R/T has a reproduction Mobil 1 Placque that I have had on there for a few years not. I got it from SuperDave from the RTML. He no longer has the connection to get them made.

Dave, If anyone want you to do repros of this one, I can get you a High Res. shot of it and dimensions. If you need it let me know.

Hi Ralph,

Yes if you could get me a good shot and dimensions that would be great, thank you!!
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Garrett booster

Ralph,

My custom one was done by SuperDave as well. I don't think his were "exact" reproductions(I've done some comparing). If David is going to do these, he is going to need an original and "authentic" Mobil1 plaque.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Ralph,

My custom one was done by SuperDave as well. I don't think his were "exact" reproductions(I've done some comparing). If David is going to do these, he is going to need an original and "authentic" Mobil1 plaque.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that they ever made "Authentic" ones for the Iroc R/T. Just the custom ones that SuperDave made.
    I like the plaques just to show that that is all the is allowed to go inside my T-III engine.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Garrett booster

I'm not sure, but I don't think that they ever made "Authentic" ones for the Iroc R/T. Just the custom ones that SuperDave made.
    I like the plaques just to show that that is all the is allowed to go inside my T-III engine.

turbo addict

Dave, here is a pic I have of one. you can see it has rouned corners and the matte finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sl pl 1.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	16459  

Quote Originally Posted by LaserXT1986 View Post
    Barry, I will be in touch with you regarding what TPJ said and go from there.
    I am leaving for the Mopar Nats early tomorrow, but I will be back by Monday afternoon. I'll PM you my cell number in case you want to talk about it.

What I need to know right now is the following (hopefully Barry or TPJ can shed some light):

-How many styles were there, accounting for all models that had it? I was under the impression there were TWO (each a different size) with the only other difference being the actual vehicle listed on it. Can anyone get this information?
    I have only seen the one size and am pretty certain that is all that was made. But I will check.

Were these "clean cut" (i.e., a perfect rectangle with perfect square or rounded corners) or were they "stamp cut" (i.e., not perfect parallel straight lines, etc)?
    Not sure exactly what you are saying, but all I have seen were fairly exact and true parallel lines. To me clean cut would mean there are no sharp edges on the backs, while stamp cut usually leaves a sharp edge or two on the back side (much like the SDAC event dash plaques have).

A ways back in this thread you asked about doing the printing directly on the metal or doing an clear overlay with the printing on it. The problem with the originals which were screen printed was that the image wore from everything, weather, sunlight, washing, or any abrasion. For that reason, unless the printing ink you use can withstand the elements and harsh underhood world, I would vote for the printed overlay so that the top surface of the vinyl protects the design.

As I stated earlier, the only one of the four tpj doesn't have is the Charger GLHS. The ones he has are the GLHS, Shelby Lancer, and CSX. As stated earlier I will check to see if the 89 CSX came with plaques or not.

Coincidentally I have already had one person contact me regarding the NOS plaque and the price I set for him was also $20 shipped and that is what SDAC will sell them for hopefully by late next week.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast