Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

Garrett booster

Re: Mobil 1 reproduction plaques, interest?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Perhaps it was a mistake made at the Shelby facility?
    That could very well be. Maybe it was intentional? Maybe Lancer ones weren't ready yet so they put GLHS ones on instead. Wouldn't be the first time a stunt like that was pulled at the Whittier plant.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

i will take one for an 87 CSX. this is what mine currently looks like:

sooo i will take whatever you make, decal or other. i don't even know what was on this plaque originally. did they have the car number for the 87 CSXs?
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyTC16v View Post
    That could very well be. Maybe it was intentional? Maybe Lancer ones weren't ready yet so they put GLHS ones on instead. Wouldn't be the first time a stunt like that was pulled at the Whittier plant.

So maybe ours are even more Rare!!!!?? lol Wow now it's going on Ebay.. See if I can beat the price of GLHS #707 (currently at 9,200 and not at reserve)
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Hybrid booster

If price is reasonable I'd take 3 or 4 for the '87 GLHS

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Can you make one that says Royal Purple?
    NICE gotta rock the boat a bit
    how about an ELF oil plaque while were at it
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Ok it seems like there is a decent reply. I will first contact TPJ to find out (or rather, make sure) I am not stepping on his toes.

As far as custom ones with different oil brands, that's fine too. Except for Mike Marra, that filthy Italian and his slow Contraption. His will be magic marker on aluminum foil, scotch-taped to his car ()

For those that asked, the vinyl won't be in direct contact with the heat and should be able to hold up. 3M told me a long time ago that direct vinyl application wouldn't last on a valve cover, yet I have seen it done many times. This would be mounted to a piece of anodized aluminum so I am confident it would hold up.

If I go through with this, what do you feel is a fair price to pay? And how much of a discount would you like to see if you order multiple sets (of the same kind, that is)? Be reasonable an honest, don't expect to get it for $1 and don't think I am charging $50 either (I feel a Billy Mays sound clip coming on lol).
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Hybrid booster

Don't know what your expenses are to make them--beyond that, it's whatever the market thinks is fair. Apparently OEM "NOS" plaques for the '86 were being sold at the SDAC this year for $10e. Are you able to come close to this price--say $10-$15e for an OEM, and maybe $15-$18 for a custom tag?

Let me know if this sounds out of line--too high, too low?

Garrett booster

Dave, just make sure you copy an original to make it look as original as possible. The custom one I posted in the other thread does not line up exactly like an original.

Dave, just make sure you copy an original to make it look as original as possible. The custom one I posted in the other thread does not line up exactly like an original.
    If I did these it would be *exact*. Much like my turbo decals (in the vendor section), you could take those and line them up over the originals and it is EXACTLY the same. I would do the same thing here.

However.....a TM member has told me that the gentleman (code name TPJ) has recently been down on his luck and as a result may start to sell off some items he has, including NOS Mobil 1 plaques. Even though I haven't talked to him yet, he is a friend and the last thing I want to do is take his chance away to get back on his feet selling these, esp. with me trying to offer repros' of an item he still has in NOS form. It just wouldn't be right.

Once I talk to him, I think, given his blessing, I will use one of his NOS ones to make a "master" in my system, that can then be customized for the cars that did not offer it, or for "one off" examples not available from the factory.

In other words, I will only offer a custom one, not a reproduction of any factory original ones he has to offer.

Keep checking back for updates, and thanks for your support!!

"G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserXT1986 View Post

In other words, I will only offer a custom one, not a reproduction of any factory original ones he has to offer.
    if this is the case, how do we go about possibly purchasing from this gentleman?
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Quote Originally Posted by mcglsr2 View Post
    if this is the case, how do we go about possibly purchasing from this gentleman?
    I would rather not give that information out, as Barry has already stated, he likes to stay anonymous.

I would suggest PM'ing Barry, to see if there is a way to get ahold of him.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I am willing to act as middle man in this as Dave said.

SDAC was offering these for him on a very limited basis a year or so ago, but it was not advertised. The deal then was that it would be a fund raiser for SDAC also with SDAC tacking on $5 to the price of each one.

The problem at that time was that he was traveling quite a bit for his job and wasn't responsive to my email or phone messages. I suspect that problem has been solved now.

But, I do know he doesn't have any Mobil 1 plaques for the 87 Charger GLHS. He usually sells the 86 GLHS plaques to those wishing one. What many folks don't know is that the 86 GLHS plaques are actually correct for 87 also as over 200 87 Charger GLHS left Whittier with 86 GLHS plaques attached as the 87 order had not arrived in time when production started (the Charger GLHS was not a planned vehicle for 87, it was done as sort of an after thought).

To my knowledge that is the only vehicle to leave Whittier with an incorrect plaque. So those that have commented in this thread that their Shelby Lancer has an 86 GLHS plaque, it was probably done by a previous owner.

You can PM me, but I prefer email messages as they are so much easier to store, sort, and keep track of. barryg1@sbcglobal.net

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

I have recent email from this gentleman (TPJ), and can confirm he does not have any '87 plaques.

He does however have the '86 GLHS plaques that are OEM NOS.

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs View Post
    I have recent email from this gentleman (TPJ), and can confirm he does not have any '87 plaques.
    That is not entirely accurate. He does have 87 plaques for the CSX & Shelby Lancer.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    I am willing to act as middle man in this as Dave said.

SDAC was offering these for him on a very limited basis a year or so ago, but it was not advertised. The deal then was that it would be a fund raiser for SDAC also with SDAC tacking on $5 to the price of each one.

The problem at that time was that he was traveling quite a bit for his job and wasn't responsive to my email or phone messages. I suspect that problem has been solved now.

But, I do know he doesn't have any Mobil 1 plaques for the 87 Charger GLHS. He usually sells the 86 GLHS plaques to those wishing one. What many folks don't know is that the 86 GLHS plaques are actually correct for 87 also as over 200 87 Charger GLHS left Whittier with 86 GLHS plaques attached as the 87 order had not arrived in time when production started (the Charger GLHS was not a planned vehicle for 87, it was done as sort of an after thought).

To my knowledge that is the only vehicle to leave Whittier with an incorrect plaque. So those that have commented in this thread that their Shelby Lancer has an 86 GLHS plaque, it was probably done by a previous owner.

You can PM me, but I prefer email messages as they are so much easier to store, sort, and keep track of. barryg1@sbcglobal.net

Barry
    So Barry, mine should most likely read SHELBY GLHS, not the CHARGER GLHS right?

turbo addict

I want a royal purple custom plaque lol

That is not entirely accurate. He does have 87 plaques for the CSX & Shelby Lancer.

Barry
    barry, email sent to you regarding an 87 CSX plaque.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Barry
    I can attest what to Barry said as well. I spoke to him about this as of Carlisle.

In addition, I can also note that it's a crying shame what some of those eBay auctions that I've seen in the past go for involving these plaques, especially in some cases where I know the plaques were purchased from named individual as a favor and then turned for huge profit. As always, people will pay whatever for a piece they really want, it just stinks that at times generosity has been taken advantage of.

Dave, I'll take a couple custom ones when you are able to get them going! I'd be willing to do around $20 per custom one. Thanks a ton for stepping up and offering something neat like this. As always your ideas are cutting edge and I'm glad to see this thread going in a much more promising direction, i.e. people who are interested providing feedback and not vice versa if you know what I mean

At the same time Dave, I'd like to see SOMETHING on these plaques that will show they were not factory produced. I'd hate to see in ten years one of these fall into some owner's hands who claims they are original pieces produced by Shelby/Chrysler and having to go through a fifteen page thread of people arguing its validity. Even if its just a miniscule thing as one of the words (like Mobil 1 or name of model) being different colors like the repro Premium Fuel Only decals for the L-bodies are?

So Barry, mine should most likely read SHELBY GLHS, not the CHARGER GLHS right?
    From the vin listing, your car has the earliest ship date, so if that means anything, then the answer would be yes. But what we don't know is how many were built before they started being shipped and if they were shipped in build order. I suspect they were, but I don't know for certain.

What plaque does yours have?

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post

At the same time Dave, I'd like to see SOMETHING on these plaques that will show they were not factory produced. I'd hate to see in ten years one of these fall into some owner's hands who claims they are original pieces produced by Shelby/Chrysler and having to go through a fifteen page thread of people arguing its validity. Even if its just a miniscule thing as one of the words (like Mobil 1 or name of model) being different colors like the repro Premium Fuel Only decals for the L-bodies are?
    Look at the Year One catalog. Hundred of thousands of high quality reproduction items that would otherwise make a muscle car restoration incomplete.

If you're not gonna have a piece that looks like the original, why put one on at al?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast