Thread: Idle issues

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Idle issues

Hello all, I just got my TII conversion up and running in my "85" Charger. I have an idle problem which shows up when I come to a stop, if I dont use some heel and toe throttle to assist the engine to come to an idle, it kills. It starts OK from there but needs that assist before the idle settles. I am suspecting the AIS motor even though I changed it out with another and proved that one to be bad, the one im using may still not be great. My fuel pump is fine and I am sure that I have no vacuum leaks. The normal idle is a steady 1000 rpm's. At present I have no pvc valve or the circuit it needs installed, so its not a pvc problem. I have a BOV installed but the steady idle should indicate that its staying shut. Any ideas? thanx, jeff
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Idle issues

Have you tried resetting your base idle?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...&articleid=146

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

What about a flaky speed sensor?

Cordes, No, I haven't tried resetting the idle as of yet. I considered it but the idle was so steady at 1000 I thought that it was good. I could be wrong.

Onlooker, I hadn't thought about that, the speed sensor is new, about 500 miles on it, but I did notice tiny fluctuations at 55 mph. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Is is possible that the BOV is is seeing pressure bounces when coming to a stop? I plan to try removing the vac/press line from it and seeing if the same problem exists. If problem goes away then maybe I need to increase spring pressure.

Any opinions ?
    jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Cordes, No, I haven't tried resetting the idle as of yet. I considered it but the idle was so steady at 1000 I thought that it was good. I could be wrong.

Onlooker, I hadn't thought about that, the speed sensor is new, about 500 miles on it, but I did notice tiny fluctuations at 55 mph. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Is is possible that the BOV is is seeing pressure bounces when coming to a stop? I plan to try removing the vac/press line from it and seeing if the same problem exists. If problem goes away then maybe I need to increase spring pressure.

Any opinions ?
    jeff1234
    I would definitely check the base idle adjustment first then. I had the exact same problem in my omni for the longest time until I reset it. That solved the problem instantly.

Cordes, I will absolutely try that first. The fact that you experienced the same symptoms convinced me. I will report back at this site on the outcome. jeff

Cordes and all others, my hat is off too Cordes, the reset of the base idle worked like a charm. Apparently it causes the ais to return all the way to home position when it tries to adjust for a gross air leak. It worked immediately for me. I had to adjust the throttle plate open further to get 900 rpm, after that no problemo!!! Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Cordes and all others, my hat is off too Cordes, the reset of the base idle worked like a charm. Apparently it causes the ais to return all the way to home position when it tries to adjust for a gross air leak. It worked immediately for me. I had to adjust the throttle plate open further to get 900 rpm, after that no problemo!!! Jeff
    Sounds good! I'm glad to hear that you solved the problem.

Garrett booster

I've heard conflicting information on "the other site" concerning base idle. For those that can, post #4 by NAJ, located here: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...poor-idle.html says base idle should be between 550-575 RPM... other than that the procedures are the same. I will say this, using NAJ's base idle spec I still experience a slight bog when RPM's return to idle, maybe setting a higher base idle will fix this?

dead thread resurrection here but I have the same problem. I'm using an 87 glhs cal with an 85 G head. They don't like each other. :-) Base idle somewhat helped, but the calibration is off for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vxvxAndrewxvxv View Post
    dead thread resurrection here but I have the same problem. I'm using an 87 glhs cal with an 85 G head. They don't like each other. :-) Base idle somewhat helped, but the calibration is off for me as well.
    You are going to have a rough go of it until you do some tuning. I know a lot of guys are fans of the G head, but I don't care with the necessary tuning involved compared to what I can get out of my swirl so far.

have you added in any timing?