Thread: I let the Turbo Dodge community down today

boostaholic

I let the Turbo Dodge community down today

Went to Pittsburgh Raceway park for their Tuner bash.Was planning on only Spectating but Ran into Luke(Rampage) and Chris from the Steel Valley Chapter.Decided to run(Thanks Chris for lending me the $5) had to run in power 4 with the Van and had some strange looks.Wasnt prepared at all to run,didnt bring any spares or tools.Removed what junk I had lying in the back.First Pass wasnt all too great.

R/T .129
    60 2.55
    1/8 11.23
    1/8 mph 62.16
    1/4 17.61
    mph 77.03

It fell on its face at 4k so i shifted around that and was only making 6psi of boost.Back to the Pits Cranked the Grainger up a bit and went out again.

R/T -.029
    60 2.79
    1/8 11.53
    1/8 mph 61.31
    1/4 18.07
    MPH 75.03

Wheel hopped and backed out when it started but only 6psi of boost and fell on its face again above 4k.looked stuff over with Chris and luke and found my free RFL BOV knockoff was loose.Chris gave me a Clevis pin to plug the BOV hose cause for some reason it wouldnt fit on the factory BOV nipple.So now Im in 1st round of eliminations have no idea what to dial so i go with a 17.60 and figure ill drive it on the big end.Run against a 240 with a 11.60 dial in
    Dial 17.60 11.60
    Me 240
    R/T .106 .116
    60 2.40 2.25
    1/8 10.73 8.35
    1/8 mph 63.54 93.17
    1/4 17.23 12.56

I broke out hard even on the brakes.I was waiting for him to come along side but he never showed.I was disapointed with myself.I know better,lol.i had fun though and now the sickness starts again.Was disapointed with the track not letting test runs after being eliminated.They where done racing by 2:30.Luke went a 14.0 something but has issues on his 2nd pass and called it a day.Chris and Luke where a big help and thanks guys.

I have a 1990 Caravan 5spd(568) Garret 2.25 Swingvalve,gutted cat,no muffler,FWD pwerformance bobble strut and a MadDog STS,which worked beutifully.

Hybrid booster

Re: I let the Turbo Dodge community down today

You need some boost man! And maybe check out the cam timing. Shouldn't fall on it's face THAT early. Good for you for getting out there and running probably the slowest passes you've ever made at the track. :-)

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    You need some boost man! And maybe check out the cam timing. Shouldn't fall on it's face THAT early. Good for you for getting out there and running probably the slowest passes you've ever made at the track. :-)
    I need to do the timing belt.I dont think i ever looked at it since i bought the thing.It was making 12 psi after the boost leak issue. Its deffinately not the slowest passes Ive made,my 81 Fairmont did 19.60's,lol.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Its deffinately not the slowest passes Ive made,my 81 Fairmont did 19.60's,lol.
    Four cylinder? I had a 78 Fairmont Futura w/ 200cid inline six cylinder. You couldn't kill that engine.

Hybrid booster

Man, you took a 20 year old minivan down a dragstrip, that ain't a let down. Besides that, it wasn't the slowest thing there by a long shot. If we'd have had a few more runs we'd have nailed the dial in.

I'm willing to bet I'm the first guy to take a full second off a turbo mini with a clevis pin. Then again....

Good times.
    Last edited by Gearhead24-7; 07-26-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Don't worry about it, driver mode comes with practice(or good $$). lol j/k(kind of)

My Malibu Classic(2.2) is quicker then your van... Best time 16.8xx at 81MPH

CRAP! I wish my car was'nt broke or I would of been there. Were there alot of cars racing?

Hybrid booster

Not many at all, 50-60 I'd say. It got started around 11 ended by 3. All they did was 2 time trials, a quick 4 heads up, and eliminations. No buy backs no nothing. If I'd have paid $35 for 3 passes I'd have been pissed, I know Craig was. lol
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
    Four cylinder? I had a 78 Fairmont Futura w/ 200cid inline six cylinder. You couldn't kill that engine.
    200 straight six in mine.I beat it the crap out of it.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Not many at all, 50-60 I'd say. It got started around 11 ended by 3. All they did was 2 time trials, a quick 4 heads up, and eliminations. No buy backs no nothing. If I'd have paid $35 for 3 passes I'd have been pissed, I know Craig was. lol

Yeah it was total BS.They just wanted to get out of there.I guess if i was dealing with a bunch of kids I would too.

Hybrid booster

Eh, it kept the Wyotechers off the mean streets of Blairsville for an afternoon. lol

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Eh, it kept the Wyotechers off the mean streets of Blairsville for an afternoon. lol
    Yeah,lol.I epoxied the BOV Sunday when I came home.Installed it today and its still making 12 PSI so looks like no more leaks from it.I want to go back to the track now.Im getting the sickness again.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Hey, you did better than my 90 tbi/523 (all stock) van did in similar circumstances.. 18.2!

I ran 3 passes back to back within .05 of each other though so i woulda busted you bad in brakcet racing lol.

Once you get the boost issue totally fixed you should be a lot happier

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Hey, you did better than my 90 tbi/523 (all stock) van did in similar circumstances.. 18.2!

I ran 3 passes back to back within .05 of each other though so i woulda busted you bad in brakcet racing lol.

Once you get the boost issue totally fixed you should be a lot happier

Yeah it should run better now.It needs intercooled.

Hybrid booster

Now, now... those wyotech boys in blairsville need some guidence. You gotta go out there and show them a thing or two... or they'll never learn. That's what I had to do when I went there. laid the smack down on them with my Daytona back in the day.

Craig, let's get that puppy intercooled!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    Now, now... those wyotech boys in blairsville need some guidence. You gotta go out there and show them a thing or two... or they'll never learn. That's what I had to do when I went there. laid the smack down on them with my Daytona back in the day.

Craig, let's get that puppy intercooled!
    Drive on up and Ill intercool it.Its only about 3.5 hours from you. PM me on how much you want for the NYG.