Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out comes the head - need pointers

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Out comes the head - need pointers

M'kay, turbo "should" be here, well technically today, it's 12:40am, so I'm beginning to pull the head and continue to work on it through the week until I get it done. I've helped other people pull heads and helped do my own twice, so altogether maybe 4 different occasions. I'm not positive on a few things. Such as:

(1. Removing the oil/water lines from the center housing without breaking them off.
    (2. Setting the timing on the belts ... I know you line up the notches on the cam gear and crank gear, and another notch on another gear should point to the crank gear??
    (3. The torque specs on new MP headbolts... I know the sequence, work your way in and in a clockwise motion outwards.
    (4. What to look for in/on the head for as far as damage goes
    (5. Should I even bother puting a little bit of axle grease between the turbo/manifold?

I think that's it. Good luck to me.

Thanks for any help guys.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Out comes the head - need pointers

Loosen the head by starting on the outer bolts and working in, tighten is the reverse.

Drain coolant.

Have head checked for cracks and machined flat if necessary. Use head studs, cheaper and better in the long run.

Get a valve job done and new guides installed with clips so they dont' fall down. 5 angle and valves back cut.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Have head checked for cracks and machined flat if necessary. Use head studs, cheaper and better in the long run.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! I always clean up and resurface a well used head. It will help with the whole head gasket thing down the road.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

+1: Use ARP Head Studs.

Timing:
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/timing_marks

Yes, use axle grease on the turbo manifold. Not a lot.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Hybrid booster

hey to line up timing i alway use finger nail color to mark the dots that way you can see them beter and clean clean clean tap the bolt holes and on the water and oil lines are your newer or o/e ? might just use new ones for warr. of turbo? al good luck

Simon- so take the head to a machine shop, have them machine it flat. How much do you think they'd charge for a valve job, install new guides, and back cut my valves? I really don't have much money. This turbo has killed my money. I'll probally just clean both decks with a polishing wheel and paint thinner.

I don't have ARP studs, I have MP head bolts, that's what I'm using. I'm using the 112,000 mile stockers still. AT 20PSI!

Al- I am using the stock T3 Garrett lines. I'll be removing them altogether and just cleaning them up and making them look pretty.

Will I need to buy anything new when installing this T3/T04B turbo? IE: Silicone return tube? Larger intake coupler (is it 2.5" still or 3")? Larger lower i/c pipe, again, does the outlet still have the 2.25" outlet? I guess I could find this out later, the turbo should be here by the time I get off work.

Thanks again guys.
    -Bryan

PS: Al if I need any help I'm calling you.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

or have them check the flatness. I have a precision Starrett flat ground straight edge that I use to check heads. as long as the head is flat against my straight edge, I call it good. So far most of the ones I have pulled are still flat.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Bryan,

Headbolts will be fine. The studs just don't need to be replaced every time they're removed. The headbolts stretch a bit, so you can't be sure they're torqued correctly upon reinstallation.

To get the lines off the turbo...I usually spray hard-to-turn things down with pb blaster or the like and let it sit for a good while. An afternoon, an hour, a week...however long you have.

I'm with clay...check for straightness. If you have the money for the machine shop, it could save you some money down the road, especially since you're super boosting, but if you didn't overheat the thing, and she seems to have good compression and such...well...sometimes TDs are gone through and considered 'good enough'.

Sticking a new head gasket in there too?
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

I was quoted the equivalent of $80 to get a head skimmed, valves re-seated and new guides installed at a local shop - that much on a high-miles head is a minimum I recon ... plus new lifters if poss ...

The three+ angle valve jobs will help performance but won't affect longevity

Yup, got a Felpro h/g. It seems to be overheating... the oil in my catch can looks milky, like there's coolant in it... I've been going through coolant faster than normal, but there's no white smoke, no rough idle or running, and my plugs are tan - no green whatsoever. Perhaps the milkiness could just be condensation buildup inside the can.

My temp. gauge is nuts though, I plan to put a new one in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Holley
    I was quoted the equivalent of $80 to get a head skimmed, valves re-seated and new guides installed at a local shop - that much on a high-miles head is a minimum I recon ... plus new lifters if poss ...
    I may have to seriously consider it. It does have a lot of miles...

On my SC I had no white smoke etc, just kept putting water in, ended up roasting the head beyond repair (pics in the next 'Up Front' probably - its a real mess!) ... shoulda done the HG when I got the car (Damn Fel-Pro to hell for their curse on TDs!).

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

If it is the head shop you use regularly (not the one that you buy your leisure products at ) they should be able to check it for flatness with that bar gauge in like two seconds. My guy checks not only the face but accross the rear valve cover rail surface to see if it had been warped then cut flat on the bottom. He claims it will break the roller cam if it is twisted more than .005-.006. Interestingly enough, he said a slider cam will last a long, long time in a twisted head just not a roller

An old seasoned mechanic once asked me, "If you don't have money to do it right the first time, will you have the money to do it right the second time?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo

An old seasoned mechanic once asked me, "If you don't have money to do it right the first time, will you have the money to do it right the second time?
    That should be my new quote, that is excellent,

Dave, I beg of you, buy a braided oil line while you have it apart, your playing with fire if you reuse the old one. I can send you a braided line with the fittings to replace the stocker perfectly if you can't get one from the vendors.

Valve job is more to freshen up the engine, not needed but good insurance. The head being flat-there is no discussion on this, do it or you will be sorry.

Sounds like your head gasket started to go, hence loosing coolant and your wonky temp guage.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Ugh.... Simon... I'll see what Cindy can do for me. But I want it back together before Sunday so I can take it racing. I'll try and get ahold of her.

Can't I just slap a straight-edge on the head's deck and check for straightness?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Can't I just slap a straight-edge on the head's deck and check for straightness?

Sure but knowing how bent you are, you'll probably measure it straight when its not,

Also check for pitting or wear around the firing ring and water jackets, if so, it will need machining.

Head's off! So guess which nut gave me $hit? The inner-side SV nut rounded off. I spent atleast 45 minutes getting the DP off. I had to take a cut off wheel to cut the bolt's head off so I could remove the head.

That and the pistons have some play in the bore, but I'm sure it's okay being 112,000 miles.

Taking off the manifolds tomorrow and installing the turbo, then cleaning everything up and puting it back together. Even got the day off Thursday - it will be running then.

Thanks for all your help guys.

-Bryan

PS: What do I torque the headbolts down to???

Hybrid booster

Bryan, you won't regret the braided stainless lines. I just took the engine that was in my van apart, and butchered both of the coolant lines trying to get them off, and I'm sure the oil feed line is going to be the same way.

Also, to get my head completely re-done, it cost $200. The work included:
    -pressure test and check for warpage
    -true up both surfaces and clean up the head
    -new guides, new seals, and a 3 angle valve job.

Just as a reference.

Matt - I know I wont regret it. Problem is I'm swimming in debt and I really can't get much further behind. I have to start saving up for a winter beater.

I'll pull everything apart this winter and redo it - freshen up EVERYTHING in the head, oversize valves, backcut, 3 angle valve job, port and polish, PT lifters, new rockers, springs, retainers, guides, etc. Rebuild the bottom end with forged internals - go all out. But I can't do all that right now.

BTW I'm taking the top half into work today to have a tech take the lines out so they don't break off in the center housing.

Well chit! Me and the tech's heated up the center housing and sprayed some PB blaster on the lines and got them all off. Now we inspected the combustion chamber... valves are pretty brown. Not black like they're supposed to be... and the shocker here! Crack's in cylinder 2, 3, and 4! Can I get a round of applause for that one, please!

Glad I got the day off tomorrow 'cause I'll be swapping everything over to the spare head. :sigh: Oh well, I'm having fun doing it.

-Bryan

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Get the head machined for flatness and get a valve job as well. Check the guids to make sure they haven't fallen too...the machine shp will check that out.

Timing... on my flwywheels I look for the line that had the dot in it. Line that at the first line in the bellhousing as that is 0 degrees. Line up the cam as best you can with the cam prting lines (I use a little mirror to see it perfectly instead of at an angle. Look at the dist. drive gear's tang and make that parrallel with the block.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast