Thread: N/A to Turbo fuel line and pump Q???

N/A to Turbo fuel line and pump Q???

I am changing an 87 Horizon N/A to an Turbo set up two things will the N/A fuel lines be able to supply the motor with enough fuel ?? And anyone know of an stand alone fuel pump that can be mounted on the frame rail ?? I do not have an hanger for an L body fuel pump.

Thanks Paul B

Hybrid booster

Re: N/A to Turbo fuel line and pump Q???

When I did mine, I bought a Donor car. I noticed that the fuel return line on the turbo car was as big as the feed line on my N/A car, so I changed them out.
    As far as the fuel pump, you'll need to change out you gas tank anyhow. The turbo cars' tank has a baffle in the bottom where the pickup is located to keep fuel at the pickup under cornering. At that point, I just went to the J/Y and found a fuel pump to go in the tank.
    Do you have all the wiring required? Most of your under hood wiring will need updated. I think the only ones I saw in common were for the lights
    Also- Hindsight is always 20/20. If I were to do it again, I'd find a SMEC setup rather than use the power module / control module setup from an '86 or '87. With the smec I don't think you need to drill the hole in the firewall for the wiring to go through to the computer. (maybe someone else can chime in on that)
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I've been running a carb'd tank on my conversion for over 10 years. I am finally going to be getting around to swapping in a Turbo tank soon.

I use an external Super60 Pump, mounted on the crossmember just behind the fuel tank. I use #6 feed line and use the stock feed line as a return.
    I cannot corner hard with the stock carb'd tank. It will starve for fuel. Also, when I started cutting sub 1.7 60ft times, I started to have to run at least a half tank of fuel.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If you run the external pump like Mike did, leave the stock pump in the tank to feed the external pump. Walbro and others make an inline unit thats cheaper than the S60 pump. On the van, I am running an intank 255 which is tired to feed my external 255 Walbro,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    If you run the external pump like Mike did, leave the stock pump in the tank to feed the external pump. Walbro and others make an inline unit thats cheaper than the S60 pump. On the van, I am running an intank 255 which is tired to feed my external 255 Walbro,
    ooh... I assumed N/A was carbed... is it TBI?
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    ooh... I assumed N/A was carbed... is it TBI?
    I am assuming TBI, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Sorry I should have said it is an carb car. I know that I should just get the GLH tank and be done with it but this is going to be an GRM car so every buck counts .

Thanks Paul B

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Well if it gonna be a GRm car, you're probably not gonna be able to get away with the stock carbe'd tank unless you run a full tank for the autocrossing. If ground clearance isnt too much of an issue, you can take the original tank out and weld an external sump onto it.
    Check out this article.
    http://www.hotrod.com/howto/70438_ga...eld/index.html
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=