Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: JamesMonty's 85 GLH-Turbo project log

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Re: JamesMonty's 85 GLH-Turbo project log

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    Ive had good results with Thermo-Cure by evaporust. cleans it right out without eating the metal that you would like to keep.

Brian
    I'm glad you replied Brian, I was trying to remember what you recommended to me @ SDAC.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Thermo-cure is good stuff.

Refill with a extended life coolant and you'll never kill another heater core or radiator.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I'm glad you replied Brian, I was trying to remember what you recommended to me @ SDAC.
    No problem. Glad it came up again.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have also followed the suggestion of evaporust a few years back....Worked like a treat
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

New door seals came in. Checkout my video in it https://youtu.be/rbnrfetwrrc . Working on the glass felt channels next. Found some material online that might work, will update when I get it in.

Hybrid booster

Looks great! I gotta figure out weather sealing for my H-body before next winter I think 😬 much research to be done.

Thanks for sharing, I love watching progress/build threads ✌️

Hybrid booster

Two things fixed on the door! First the dry, half missing window flock/c-channel molding has been replaced! Found some stuff on amazon that looked to be a close fit so I order it. It isn't exactly a tight fit but it doesn't seem to want to fall out. And boy is it way quieter going down the road. No more wind whistle right in my ear.

And since I replaced the door seals the door was tricky to get open due to the famous L-body door handles. At first I tried the linkage adjuster, but it was all the way in. So I thought how can I make the rod a bit longer? I'll just hammer out the bend in the stock rod and re-bend it to make it longer. Well that did not work, and I ruined the rod in the process. So only option was to make a new rod. I could not find local a 5/32" rod but I could get 1/8" steel rod and that's pretty close. I bent up a new rod about 1/4" longer than stock. I backed out the adjuster to full loose and re-installed the new rod. The clips fit, but the bottom clip wants to fall off. One zip tie later and it's mint. And oh boy the door has never felt so good. Opens easier than a new car now, all for $3 at Lowe's for the 3' rod. Might have to try the same on the passenger, but it opens pretty easy as is. note- ignore the wire and missing part of the inside door panel in the picture, there seems to have been some "work" done on this latch at some point in it's life.

window flock - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU0670Z...WstkWVH8Q&th=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220308_170654.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	65832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220308_170750.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	65833  

Hybrid booster

Finally got the timing belt and tensioner replaced this week. New tires came in on Thursday too. Took them and some Fittipaldi wheels I got 12 years down to the local used tire guy and had them mounted and balanced. Took it down the road once, but there is still too much salt on the roads from the snow we got yesterday. Was just spinning all thru 2nd and third. Really want to run it down the track this coming weekend and the tires I had on it for sure wouldn't pass tech. Few more little things to do to get it up to snuff, wish me luck.

Name:	20220313_134219.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	65836  

Hybrid booster

Found something I never thought I would be able to get, like new seats! The local pull-n-pay got a 86 Charger in and someone on the L-body facebook page mentioned it had a mint red interior. So we loaded up and immediately ran down there. Got the two front seats, the back seats, the window cranks (I was missing one), and the stock radio. I always heard the 2 door seat brackets sat lower, and man what a few inches will do (that's what she said). My legs are no longer in the wheel and just driving it around is so much more comfortable. The back seat bolted in, but the back retaining clip thing is way different than the 4 door seat. Will need to work on that but they are such a huge upgrade I don't really care. I have an aftermarket radio with a harness, but don't have a mounting kit. So the stock am/fm will work for now, and yes it works perfect. Who needs a radio in these cars anyway?

Name:	seats1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	66032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seats2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	66033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seats3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	66034  

Mitsu booster

Nice score! 👌

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Great score, Red is the finest color and wears the best!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

Time for some updates on the Omni! Since last year I just drove the car here and there due to it not having some creature comforts (like wipers and heat) and the front windshield leaking. Took it out to SDAC for one night and drove it on the road rally. Car runs and drives great! Big bonus is we bought a new (to us) house so now it has a garage to stay out of the weather. It helps that it's a very small garage and the Omni is the only car that fits in it.

This years goal is to make it into more of a daily driver. I fixed the wiper linkage last year and dug the wiper arms out of the garage. I still have to buy some wipers, but I will get around to it. When I put the TII motor in it many years ago I just by-passed the heater core. So I took a huge leap of faith and flushed it out and hooked it up. Lucky for me there has been no leaks. Turned on the fan and was blown away by the horrid mouse pee smell. Sitting ten years will do that I guess. I decided to just remove the whole dash to clean everything up. All the vents and heater core/evap box were heavily cleaned and disinfected. While I was in there I fixed up the broken HVAC vacuum lines. They seem to work ok, but not great. Still need to work on those some. Dash went back in today and it actually has heat that will run you out of the car, and the small is gone.

Next on the list was to make it a bit louder. When I built the car I put a cheap parts store muffler with a turn down on it. It worked fine and was not that loud. So I did the right thing and got a $40 "muffler" of Amazon and some 2-1/2" pipe from the parts store. With some of the old clamps and our new Hobo freight flux welder I bugger welded up some pipes for a side exit exhaust. It is actually not that loud! Defiantly hear louder stuff drive by the house on a daily basis. Quote from my wife - "why did you do that?" . Because I am a child, and it sounds cool.

Next on the list is to fix the front windshield. I am debating to DIY it, but it would suck to break the windshield. Just need to find someone local that would be willing to do it. As a temporary fix I put some sealant around it when I had the dash out. Other items - wiper blades, fix rear door handles, fix front window tilt, headliner and some sound deadener.

Still have the New Yorker. It is just waiting it's turn out in the polebarn at our new place. Right now my son has been changing the clutch on his Daytona for the last month. I know it's not a month job, but he is learning and we are in no rush to have it running.

Name:	20240303_104909.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	66622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240303_104933.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	66623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240310_142103.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	66624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240310_155630.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	66625  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Looking good. I hope to see it out at SDAC again this year.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Looking good. I hope to see it out at SDAC again this year.
    That is the plan. Trying to get it to a place where I could just get in a drive it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    That is the plan. Trying to get it to a place where I could just get in a drive it anywhere.
    It always feels great when they're running that well, especially after being left dormant for a while.

Hybrid booster

That sounds great. Not too loud either judging by the video. Should be great to cruise around in.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234