I purchesed this GLH off eBay in 2008. It was a Southern car it's whole life, so rust is at a minimum. There is some slight front end damage that was fixed sometime in it's life, so there is a little more to be done in the future fixing it better.

So off to South Carolina from Cincinnati Dad and I went to pick it up. It was a little rougher than it looked in the pictures but what can I say, it was still worth what I got it for.

The car as it sat when I picked it up in South Carolina

On the dolly back to Ohio! (yes the grill was yellow)

When I picked it up the owner told me he used to have one when they were new. He was a big MG guy but he loved the little Omni. So when he found one for sale localy he bought it with the intentions of fixing it up. As many projects heath and time put it on the back burner for years till he finally sold it. When I got it it had sat for over 5 years. He told me he tried with no luck to get it to run, but it turned over fine. Within an hour of getting it home I got it to fire up! These cars won't run when the HEP is in 180deg from where it should be. I was thinking wow that was too easy, and it was. After it warmed up I reved it a little and the dip stick poped out. Did a quick compression check, 95-85-105-45. Just in case you don't know, thats bad. So off with the head and out with three cracked pistons. It sat for a few months while I gathered parts for a re-build. Plans were for a stock car to put around in. Then I found a wrecked 88 T2, 555, intercooled Shelby Z, for $300. I drove it home a poped the driveline out.

So in the omni went a 100k stock t2 motor and 555 (witch i think might really be a 520 with a 555 badge since I found a 520 tag in the glove box).

It took several month of gathering parts and money but it is finally together and running. If it wasn't for my recent job loss I would have it taged and insured and driving the streets. And I did change that ugly yellow grill for a NOS glh grill I got from Reeves last year at the mopar nats.

The car as it is now

T2 motor out of a 88 Shelby Z

Shifter cover from a minivan made to fit the Omni interior.

Over the next few month plans are to get it on the road and work out any bugs it may still have. Then the head will have to come off to fix a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. That should be a good time to throw on the 2 piece intake and the SS braided line kit on it.

What it has so far-

88 T2 motor
555 (or 520 don't know) tranny with Daytona shifter cables
88 Daytona radiator/intercooler
Talon blow off valve
All polybushings solid mounts
Walbro 255 in tank pump